Chad Johnson signs with Islanders
|07.01.14 at 12:35 pm ET|
Johnson played well in his one season in Boston as Tuukka Rask‘s backup, but the team elected to not retain him given that cap space is tight and they have another young goaltender in Niklas Svedberg. The B’s gave Svedberg a one-year, $600,000 contract last week.
The 24-year-old Svedberg has spent the last two seasons playing for Providence in the AHL. In the 2012-13 season, he was named the AHL’s top goaltender, while he split time with Malcolm Subban last season. Svedberg’s promotion to Boston suggests that Subban, the team’s first-round pick in 2012, will become Providence’s starting goaltender.
In his one season for the B’s, Johnson went 17-4-3 with a .925 save percentage, 2.10 goals-against average and two shutouts.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5