Shawn Thornton signs with Panthers
|07.01.14 at 1:26 pm ET|
Shawn Thornton has signed with the Panthers after spending the last seven seasons in Boston. According to Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada, the contract is for two years and is worth $2.4 million.
Thornton, now 36, served as a fourth-line fixture for the Bruins after signing with them in 2007. He posted career highs with 10 goals and 10 assists for 22 points in the Bruins’ Stanley Cup-winning 2010-11 season.
Last season proved to be a tough one for Thornton, as his line struggled and he was given a 15-game suspension for an on-ice incident with then-Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli informed Thornton last month that the team would not be re-signing him.
Thornton, who hails from Oshawa, Ontario, has long said he will continue to live in Boston, where he has become known for his multiple charitable efforts.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara