Shawn Thornton signs with Panthers
|07.01.14 at 1:26 pm ET|
Shawn Thornton has signed with the Panthers after spending the last seven seasons in Boston. According to Elliotte Friedman of Hockey Night in Canada, the contract is for two years and is worth $2.4 million.
Thornton, now 36, served as a fourth-line fixture for the Bruins after signing with them in 2007. He posted career highs with 10 goals and 10 assists for 22 points in the Bruins’ Stanley Cup-winning 2010-11 season.
Last season proved to be a tough one for Thornton, as his line struggled and he was given a 15-game suspension for an on-ice incident with then-Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli informed Thornton last month that the team would not be re-signing him.
Thornton, who hails from Oshawa, Ontario, has long said he will continue to live in Boston, where he has become known for his multiple charitable efforts.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5