- Big Bad Blog - http://bigbadblog.weei.com -
Leftover pieces from Peter Chiarelli’s press conference
Posted By DJ Bean On July 13, 2014 @ 10:27 pm In General | No Comments
During Peter Chiarelli‘s press conference to conclude development camp, he discussed the future of some of the team’s prospects  and shared that the team has discussed moving Gregory Campbell to the wing  to allow one of the team’s center prospects to reach the NHL .
He also discussed a lot of other things. Here are some of the other bits:
- Chiarelli said that the players who dealt with injuries late last season are all on schedule to be ready for training camp. That group includes Chris Kelly  (back), Matt Fraser (foot) and Adam McQuaid (multiple injuries).
- It’s been a common occurrence in Chiarelli’s tenure as Bruins GM to not let his star players reach free agency, so it’s likely he’ll try to get new deals for David Krejci  and Johnny Boychuk  done before next summer if he intends to keep the players.
“I’m not going to go into details as to our negotiations,” Chiarelli said. ‘I can say that we will try and get guys done, I try and be proactive and we’re working on a couple things right now.”
- Chiarelli said he wasn’t surprised by the eight-year deals with annual $10.5 million cap hits that were given to Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane.
- Fraser’s shot alone is enough to make him a darkhorse candidate to replace Jarome Iginla on Boston’s first line next year. Asked about that being a possibility, Chiarelli noted the left-shooting Fraser’s experience on the right side.
“He’s played on the right side; he can really shoot it,” Chiarelli said. “We haven’t got him signed yet but we’ll get him signed shortly. He’s showed that he can play a two-way game and that you can put him up on that lineup because you end up getting all the matchups, right? So you have to have a responsible player up there. But you know, he’s a guy that we’re going to have a look at.”
- Some free agents remain unsigned, a group that includes right wing Lee Stempniak, a player with whom the Bruins have spoken. Cap space is tight, so while it’s no sure thing the Bruins will sign any free agent for their NHL  roster, they’re still looking at them.
“There’s a list of guys that I’m looking at and there is also a list of guys internally,” Chiarelli said. “I like the competition, you’ve heard me talk about the competition. I think it really energizes the team and guys bubble up, they thrive in it. So I’m balancing the two things and there are a lot of our players available right now.”
- One of the three forward spots that are open for the Bruins won’t go to a fighter. The B’s have Bobby Robins and Tyler Randell in the AHL if they need them, but Chiarelli said he feels the Bruins already have team toughness.
“I believe it’s already there, I do,” he said. “Also, we have a couple of candidates that played in Providence that surely could fit in if we need them. I really think it’s already there, I do, and you’re going to see Adam back, whoever’s playing D. We’ve got some tough guys there that can hold up their own, so I believe it’s already there.”
- The Bruins have lots of assets that they could trade if they want to add a forward that way. Chiarelli said that for now, trade talks have slowed throughout the league.
“There’s stuff going on; it’s just not fast,” Chiarelli said. “There’s parameters and deals talked about and it’s just kind of pushing it along slowly. There’s not urgency. It may happen that it happens on the eve of training camp or two days before, because the player has to get to that camp from where he is but, it’s slow. It’s slow.”
Article printed from Big Bad Blog: http://bigbadblog.weei.com
URL to article: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/07/13/leftover-pieces-from-peter-chiarellis-press-conference/
URLs in this post:
 future of some of the team’s prospects: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/07/13/bruins-wrap-development-camp-peter-chiarelli-wont-rule-out-david-pastrnak-pushing-for-roster-spot/
 discussed moving Gregory Campbell to the wing: http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/07/13/bruins-considering-moving-gregory-campbell-to-wing-so-ryan-spooner-or-alexander-khokhlachev-can-play/
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl.htm
 Chris Kelly: http://media.weei.com/hockey/chris-kelly.htm
 David Krejci: http://media.weei.com/hockey/david-krejci.htm
 Johnny Boychuk: http://media.weei.com/hockey/johnny-boychuk.htm
 NHL: http://media.weei.com/hockey/nhl-hockey.htm
 > Leftover pieces from Peter Chiarelli’s press conference" data-url="http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2014/07/13/leftover-pieces-from-peter-chiarellis-press-conference/">Tweet: http://twitter.com/share
 : #disqus_thread
Copyright © 2009 WEEI.com. All rights reserved.