Big Bad Blog AT&T Blog Network
Zdeno Chara (upper-body injury) mum on opening night status 10.07.15 at 12:45 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Zdeno Chara (upper-body injury) mum on opening night status

As the Bruins held their final practice in anticipation of the 2015-16 season Wednesday at TD Garden, Zdeno Chara may have taken a step closer to being game-ready.

Chara was present as the Bruins practiced the power play prior to practice, switching off with Zach Trotman on the point of Boston’s second unit. During one of the first unit’s turns, Chara took a pair of light slap shots against the boards, marking the first time he’d been seen taking slap shots since suffering his upper-body injury on Sept. 24. Overall, the day was another step in the right direction for the Bruins and their captain as the B’s prepare to open the season against the Jets on Thursday.

“I was just focusing on having a good practice today,” Chara said. “That went well, so again, we’re going to be looking towards tomorrow to have a better feeling and better knowledge.”

Chara danced around the subject when asked about his comfort with slap shots, responding that he was “just doing the drills that we had been told to do.” He was also somewhat equivocal on the subject of whether he still needs to be medically cleared to play.

The Bruins had eight defensemen practice Wednesday, seven of whom are on the active roster given that Chara is on injured reserve. Based on Wednesday’s practice, it would appear Colin Miller could be the odd man out if Chara doesn’t play. Miller, whose skill set makes him a potential power play specialist, did not practice on the power play and was paired with Chara in practice. The lines in Wednesday’s practice were as follows:

Hayes-Spooner-Connolly (Randell)
Kelly-Kemppainen-Rinaldo (Talbot)

Morrow-Kevan Miller
Chara-Colin Miller

The power play units looked as such:

First unit:

Second unit(s):


The Bruins roster currently stands at 23 players, not counting Chara. If the B’s are to activate him, they would need to send someone down. The Bruins roster, as announced by the NHL Wednesday, is as follows:

Matt Beleskey, Patrice Bergeron, Brett Connolly, Loui Eriksson, Jonas Gustafsson, Jimmy Hayes, Matt Irwin, Chris Kelly, Joonas Kemppainen, David Krejci, Torey Krug, Brad Marchand, Adam McQuaid, Colin Miller, Kevan Miller, Joe Morrow, David Pastrnak, Tyler Randell, Tuukka Rask, Zac Rinaldo, Ryan Spooner, Maxime Talbot, Zach Trotman.

Injured: Zdeno Chara, Seth Griffith, Dennis Seidenberg.

Check out the latest Bruins Podcast, a 6-Pack of questions to preview the season, with DJ Bean and Ken Laird:

Read More: Zdeno Chara,
Aiming for average: Jonas Gustavsson’s track record makes Bruins’ signing questionable 10.06.15 at 11:41 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Aiming for average: Jonas Gustavsson’s track record makes Bruins’ signing questionable

Screen Shot 2015-10-06 at 10.51.21 PMThe confusion over the Bruins’ decision to sign Jonas Gustavsson to a one-year contract this weekend was twofold.

For starters (OK, backups), the Bruins seemingly already had their No. 2 goalie for the season in Jeremy Smith. That obviously changed when the B’s gave Gustavsson the keys and Smith a ticket to Iowa.

Equally as notable, however, is that Gustavsson being the backup isn’t a particularly safe play. The former Maple Leaf and Red Wing couldn’t stay healthy last season, but that isn’t the extent of his concerns. His .901 career save percentage wasn’t skewed by a bad season or two: In each of his six seasons in the NHL, he has been below the league average in save percentage. It would be optimistic to assume that will change playing behind what could be a rocky defense this season.

Meanwhile, the Bruins backups always were above the league average over the last six seasons, including the discarded Niklas Svedberg last season.

There was no sure thing in the Bruins’ backup goaltending battle. The choice was to either go with the inexperienced Smith (zero NHL games but a .933 save percentage in 39 AHL games last season) or put faith in Gustavsson’s experience despite that it hasn’t been particularly good experience.

“It wasn’t just because of experience,” Claude Julien said. “We looked at different things. At the end of the day we took that direction, and I’m saying this again: We had to make a decision and it could have gone either way, but we made that one based on how we felt. Maybe it’s a slight, slight edge but even we can be wrong and maybe you do get to see Smitty back here again. We’re not saying that this is it [and] this is what we’re going with for the whole season. We’re keeping our options open there as well.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Jeremy Smith, Jonas Gustavsson,
Bruins loan Jeremy Smith to Iowa Wild 10.06.15 at 7:46 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Bruins loan Jeremy Smith to Iowa Wild

Claude Julien wouldn’t say Tuesday morning whether the Bruins would send recently waived goaltender Jeremy Smith to Providence. He would only say that Smith wouldn’t be with the Boston club.

His phrasing made a little more sense Tuesday evening, as the B’s announced that they had loaned Smith to the Iowa Wild, the AHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild.

Though it’s been a surprising few days for Smith, who was expected to be Tuukka Rask‘s backup this season, his assignment to another AHL team under this week’s circumstances makes sense given that Boston already has Malcolm Subban and Zane McIntyre in Providence. Jonas Gustavsson, who came to Bruins camp on a tryout, was signed to a one-year, $700,000 contract on Sunday.

The 26-year-old Smith was signed to a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level this summer after a strong performance in Providence last season. He was placed on waivers Monday and went unclaimed, allowing Boston to assign him to the AHL.

Read More: Jeremy Smith,
Tyler Randell’s push to NHL could push Max Talbot off Bruins roster 10.06.15 at 2:36 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Tyler Randell’s push to NHL could push Max Talbot off Bruins roster
Tyler Randell

Tyler Randell

Tyler Randell’s good news was Max Talbot’s bad news this week. Now both players await more clarity on their respective situations.

Having gone unclaimed on waivers on waivers, the 31-year-old Talbot is still with the Bruins, having practiced on Tuesday with the team before learning that another team hadn’t picked him up. With Talbot still on Boston’s roster, the B’s have the maximum of 23 players ahead of Tuesday’s 5 p.m. deadline, though he could be removed from the roster once Zdeno Chara is ready to play. That means that Randell, an enforcer who scored 11 goals for Providence last season, appears to have made Boston’s roster for the time being.

It isn’t clear when Chara will be ready and it’s not clear whether Talbot will be sent to Providence. Talbot said that he’ll do whatever the Bruins ask him to — including play in the AHL — but for now he is staying positive as he waits for answers.

“As people know me, I’ve always got the glass half-full type of mentality and I’m not going to change,” Talbot said after practicing with the Bruins Tuesday. “I’ve still got a beautiful wife, a healthy kid at home and expecting a second one. I’m playing hockey here for a living, so I’ve got that going for me. That’s pretty important in life.

“As for the situation, I’m here. It’s about having a good attitude, coming here and being a good teammate. That’s what I’m planning on doing.”

Talbot entered camp as one of many players pushing for a fourth-line job. The emergence of Joonas Kemppainen, who could very well be the team’s fourth-line center, hurt his chances. It appears the Bruins are set to play Zac Rinaldo or Randell on Kemppainen’s right, with Chris Kelly serving as the fourth-line left wing.

“You don’t come into camp thinking about [losing a job], but as the camp got going and you saw guys playing well — Kemppainen and Randell and Zac coming in here — you’re no fool,” Talbot said. ‘You look around and you know the situation and what’s going on. Like I said, it’s not something I was planning on, obviously, but it’s in the situation I’m in right now.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Max Talbot, Tyler Randell,
Zdeno Chara takes light contact, still not taking slap shots 10.06.15 at 1:18 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Zdeno Chara takes light contact, still not taking slap shots

Zdeno Chara is not quite his normal self, and it showed during his first practice back with the Bruins on Tuesday.

Typically, when it isn’t Chara’s turn in 3-on-3 battle drills, the captain spends his breathers taking slap shots the length of the ice. On Tuesday, Chara took light contact in the drills and instead spent his breaks stickhandling and flinging the occasional wrist shot. It was progress as Chara continued to work his way back from an upper-body injury suffered on Sept. 24, but it was a sign that he remains a work in progress.

“His first day, it would be normal that it was light contact,” Claude Julien said after the practice. “He got into traffic, he got into different things, but he wasn’€™t going to be out there throwing his weight around. That’€™s his first day, when he’€™s told to be that way. The last thing we need right now is a setback.”

The Bruins will practice again Wednesday in their final tuneup before Thursday night’€™s season-opener against the Jets. Chara, who skated on a pairing with Colin Miller in Tuesday’€™s practice, would not discuss his chances of playing Thursday, instead taking a Belichickian approach.

“I’€™m not looking at Thursday. I’€™m looking at tomorrow,” Chara said. “It’€™s day-to-day and I’€™m looking forward to tomorrow’€™s practice. My goal is to be better than I was today.”

If Chara were unable to play early in the season, the Bruins would be looking at Torey Krug and Adam McQuaid as the team’€™s first pair, something that could be helped by the fact that Boston has last change at home, but it would be far from ideal. Then again, if Chara rushes back and gets hurt again, having Boston’€™s potentially shaky defense go a long time without his services would be much worse.

“We need everybody. It’€™s not just one guy,” Chara said. “Obviously, I’€™m going to do whatever I can to be out there and playing, but I think that right now, at this point of the season when we have so many guys available, it’€™s a big plus that you have so many varieties and options that you can use.”

Chara remains on injured reserve, which is retroactive to the date he was injured. The Bruins can take him off and play him at any point, but keeping him on IR allows the team to carry the group it has. Including Max Talbot and not counting Jeremy Smith, Boston’s roster is currently at the maximum of 23 players. The B’s could send Talbot to Providence once they activate Chara.

The Bruins lines in practice Tuesday were as follows:

Hayes-Spooner-Connolly (Randell)
Kelly-Kemppainen-Rinaldo (Talbot)

Morrow-Kevan Miller
Chara-Colin Miller

Rask, Gustavsson

Read More: Zdeno Chara,
Max Talbot and Jeremy Smith go unclaimed on waivers 10.06.15 at 12:33 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Max Talbot and Jeremy Smith go unclaimed on waivers
Max Talbot

Max Talbot

Bruins goaltender Jeremy Smith and forward Max Talbot both cleared waivers on Tuesday, meaning both players can now be assigned to Providence of the AHL.

Though both players were on waivers until noon, Talbot took part in Boston’s 10:30 a.m. practice and Smith did not. Though Smith was at TD Garden earlier in the day, his locker was cleared out by the team media was let into Boston’s dressing room.

Claude Julien did not reveal the team’s intentions with either player except to say that Smith would not be on the NHL roster as of noon.

Talbot is still awaiting word on Boston’s plan for him.

“There’s no more confusion,” Talbot said of learning that he was unclaimed. “It’s something I guess that’s part of the game, part of the business, part of the job. I’m just going to come back here to work every day. I came here to camp with the idea of helping my teammates.

“Right now, I’m not sure yet what’s going to happen to me, meaning if they’re going to send me down or keep me here, but I’m going to have a good attitude and whatever they ask me to do, I’ll do.”

Read More: Jeremy Smith, Max Talbot,
Bruins place Max Talbot and Jeremy Smith on waivers, Zdeno Chara on IR 10.05.15 at 12:52 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Bruins place Max Talbot and Jeremy Smith on waivers, Zdeno Chara on IR
Max Talbot

Max Talbot

According to Renaud Lavoie of TVA Sports and Bob McKenzie of TSN, the Bruins placed forward Max Talbot and goaltender Jeremy Smith on waivers on Monday. If Talbot and Smith go unclaimed over the next 24 hours, they can be assigned to Providence.

While the writing was on the wall for Smith when the Bruins signed Jonas Gustavsson to be their backup goalie on Sunday, waiving Talbot comes as something of a surprise. The Bruins got the Avalanche to retain salary on Talbot when they traded for him last season, meaning the veteran fourth-liner only costs $900,000 against the cap. Still, the emergence of potential fourth-liners Joonas Kemppainen and Tyler Randell in training camp likely made Talbot expendable in the eyes of new general manager Don Sweeney.

By taking Talbot off the roster, however, some clarity is provided to the team’s fourth-line situation. With Boston’s third line set to consist of Ryan Spooner between Jimmy Hayes and Brett Connolly, the B’s were overflowing with fourth-line options, the vast majority of which were left shots in Chris Kelly, Kemppainen, Zac Rinaldo and Talbot. The right-shooting Randell could now push to see time as Boston’s fourth-line right wing, though a Kelly-Kemppainen-Rinaldo line also makes sense.

Either way, Talbot’s subtraction figures to lock in Boston’s 13 forwards to begin the season, with Kelly, Kemppainen, Rinaldo and Randell rounding out the group.

Smith, a second-round pick of the Predators in 2007, built a strong case to be Tuukka Rask‘s backup with a .933 save percentage in 39 games for Providence last season. Though he has yet to play an NHL game, he seemed a likely candidate to make Boston’s team after re-signing with Boston in the offseason on a one-year, two-way deal worth $600,000 at the NHL level. The Bruins already have Malcolm Subban and Zane McIntyre in Providence, so it will be interesting to see what the B’s do with Smith if he goes unclaimed.

Update (6:20 p.m.): In another minor roster move, Zdeno Chara is now listed as being on injured reserve. Given that players must be kept out for seven days after being put on IR, Chara’s potential status for Thursday’s season-opener is not impacted by this move. His placement on IR is likely retroactive to Sept. 24 (the day he suffered his upper-body injury), meaning the Bruins could activate him whenever they want.

Read More: Jeremy Smith, Max Talbot,
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines