|Bruins sign forwards Jamie Tardif and Josh Hennessy||07.05.11 at 6:01 pm ET|
Shortly after announcing their trade for defenseman Joe Corvo, the Bruins announced a couple of depth signings, as they inked forwards Jamie Tardif and Josh Hennessy to deals. Tardif’s pact is for two-years, while Hennessy comes in on a one-year contract.
Tardif, 26, was a fourth-round pick of the Flames back in 2003. He has never played in the NHL and spent the last five seasons playing for Grand Rapids, the AHL affiliate of the Red Wings.
Hennessy, a Brockton native and 2003 second-round pick of the Sharks (43rd overall), has one goal in 20 career NHL games.
|Peter Chiarelli on Tomas Kaberle: ‘We weren’t able to reach common ground’||07.05.11 at 5:43 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli didn’t want to spend much of Joe Corvo‘s introductory conference call discussing the loss of Tomas Kaberle, but did admit that there was a connection between the B’s losing their puck-mover to Carolina and trading for the man he replaced on the Hurricanes.
“They are connected to a certain degree,” Chiarelli said. “We had some talks with Tomas and with his agent. I think one of the stumbling blocks was term, and I can completely respect why Tomas would want some form of term. We weren’t able to reach common ground in that respect, and I’ve been nibbling at this opportunity for a bit to acquire Joe. It came down to maybe Carolina was going to sign Tomas.”
The Hurricanes inked Kaberle to a three-year, $12.75 million deal, meaning he did not take a pay cut from the $4.25 million cap hit over the course of his previous deal. Corvo is in the final year of his current contract, and the 34-year-old will carry a $2.25 million cap hit.
“At this point in my career, this is just an excellent opportunity to win and have a chance to win,” he said. “I couldn’t be more happy.”
|Bruins trade for Joe Corvo to replace Tomas Kaberle||07.05.11 at 4:53 pm ET|
Minutes after losing defenseman Tomas Kaberle to the Hurricanes, the Bruins acquired his replacement in Hurricanes puck-mover Joe Corvo. The B’s sent their fourth-round pick in the 2012 draft to Carolina in exchange for the 34-year-old.
Corvo is coming off a career year, as he played in all 82 games for the first time and scored 11 goals and had 29 assists for a career-high 40 points. He has one year remaining on his contract and will command a $2.25 million cap hit, which is $2 million less than what Kaberle will make in each of the next three years.
In adding the Illinois native, the B’s also have add another right shot to their blueline, and assuming he replaces Kaberle in the lineup, the B’s blueline will now feature three left-handed shots (Zdeno Chara, Dennis Seidenberg and Andrew Ference) and three righties (Corvo, Adam McQuaid and Johnny Boychuk).
In his career, Corvo has played for the Kings, Senators, Hurricanes and Capitals. He is coming off his second stint with Carolina, as he returned to the Hurricanes in 2010 after previously being traded to Washington.
|Source: Tomas Kaberle still in talks with Bruins, not close to a decision||07.04.11 at 10:31 am ET|
According to a source familiar with the situation, free agent defenseman Tomas Kaberle remains in contact with the Bruins and is also talking to multiple other teams, but it isn’t likely that he’ll be signing with anyone in the immediate future.
The source told WEEI.com on Monday that Kaberle is “not likely to make a decision until sometime next week.”
Kaberle finished last season with the Bruins, winning his first Stanley Cup after being acquired from the Maple Leafs in exchange for center Joe Colborne, the Bruins’ 2011 first-round pick, and their 2012 second-rounder. The 33-year-old finished last season with four goals and 43 assists for 47 points.
The puck-moving defenseman is one of two members of the Stanley Cup-winning lineup to hit unrestricted free agency. Forward Michael Ryder took a two-year, $7 million deal with the Stars on Friday, while Kaberle is currently the top unsigned defenseman. The Bruins certainly have the salary cap space to get a deal done, but he did not perform up to expectations after coming to the B’s on Feb. 18, so the team, as well as others, could be hesitant to give him an annual number close to the $4.25 cap hit he carried over the course of his last contract.
In the playoffs, Kaberle tied Dennis Seidenberg for the team lead amongst defenseman in points. Prior to coming to the Bruins, he played his entire career for the Maple Leafs, a tenure in which he was named an All-Star four times.
While Kaberle remains unsigned, multiple other defensemen received long-term deals last week, including Kevin Bieksa (five years, $23 million with the Canucks), Christian Ehrhoff (10 years, $40 million with the Sabres), James Wisniewski (six years, $33 million with the Blue Jackets) and Ed Jovanovski (four years, $16.5 million with the Panthers).
If the Bruins do not bring Kaberle back, 22-year-old Steven Kampfer, who played 38 games for the B’s in the 2010-11 season, would likely step in as the sixth defenseman for Boston.
|Penguins sign Boris Valabik||07.03.11 at 1:59 pm ET|
The Bruins lost another free agent on Sunday, and though the player was big, the loss could hardly be described as such. The Penguins inked defenseman Boris Valabik, who was acquired with Rich Peverley in the Feb. 18 deal with Atlanta, to a one-year, two way deal on the third day of free agency.
Given the results it yielded, it would be hard not to give Bruins general manager two thumbs up for trading Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart to Atlanta in a deal that landed the B’s Peverley. Yet Valabik proved to be nothing more than a throw-in in the deal, playing 10 games for Providence and totaling two assists and 24 penalty minutes. He had a minus-1 rating with the Baby B’s.
Valabik was chosen 10th overall by the Thrashers in the 2004 draft, but has made a minimal impact on the big stage since. He’s skated in 80 games, all of which were with the Thrashers, and totaled seven points (all assists) and 210 penalty minutes. At 6-foot-7 and 245 pounds, the Slovakia native is one of the biggest players in the league. He once fought the biggest when he took on fellow countryman and hero Zdeno Chara back in 2008.
|Peter Chiarelli says Bruins still in contact with Tomas Kaberle||07.01.11 at 6:02 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a conference call Friday that he has remained in contact with Tomas Kaberle‘s camp about potentially bringing the free agent defenseman back to Boston.
“I’ve had a few discussions today with him, and that’s where I’ll leave it, but I have had a couple discussions,” Chiarelli said. “Again, I’m not ruling out re-signing Tomas.”
While Michael Ryder left the team to take a two-year deal in Dallas, Kaberle has remained on the market despite being the top defenseman available. Christian Ehrhoff and James Wisniewski signed with the Sabres and Blue Jackets, respectively, before free agency opened, while Ed Jovanovski took a deal to go back to Florida Friday.
Chiarelli told both Kaberle and Ryder prior to free agency to test the market, and that they would keep in contact. Chiarelli said that if Kaberle accepts a deal elsewhere without consulting the B’s, he is prepared for such a scenario.
As for whether there could be another signing in the immediate future, Chiarelli didn’t see anything coming in the next however many hours.
“We’re still talking to a couple players,” Chiarelli, who later clarified his statement to say Kaberle was one of them, said. “I don’t see anything imminent in the next evening or day, but that’s about all I can tell you right now.”
|Peter Chiarelli: Benoit Pouliot ‘has to be pushed’||07.01.11 at 5:53 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli spoke to the media Friday to discuss the movement of a couple of former Montreal wingers. The B’s saw Michael Ryder sign with the Stars on the opening day of free agency, and after the former Bruins winger took a two-year, $7 million deal in Dallas, the B’s inked former Habs winger Benoit Pouliot to a one-year, $1.1 million deal. The team also announced the signings of third goaltender Anton Khudobin and center Trent Whitfield, both of whom recieved two-year deals and will almost certainly start the season in Providence.
Pouliot was the fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft by Minnesota, but has scored only 35 goals in 183 career games.
“Maybe someone who has underachieved, but has a real good skill package and size package,” Chiarelli said of Pouliot. “He has to be pushed. I think we have a strong group that can push him, and I told Benoit that. He’s only 25, and he’s still relatively young. We hope that he can buy into what we’re selling. I like his size, I like his skating, I like his shot.”
The GM said Pouliot can play different forward positions, but that “he’s got to earn his spot” on the Bruins. Pouliot was a healthy scratch in the last four games of the Eastern Conference quarterfinals and the Habs decided against tendering him after the season, allowing him to hit the open market.
“There was due diligence [before signing him],” Chiarelli said. “A lot of due diligence. ‘¦ I don’t know the circumstances behind [Montreal] not tendering him. He was available. He’s a guy that had showed some promise and that our scouts and myself, I like him as a player. ‘¦ We were happy with the due diligence we did.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara