Big Bad Blog AT&T
WEEI.com Blog Network
Shawn Thornton ‘absolutely pissed,’ calls league’s offers ‘take, take, take’ 11.20.12 at 3:16 pm ET
By   |  11 Comments

Bruins forward Shawn Thornton said Tuesday that while he is furious with the lack of progress made between the NHL and NHLPA in negotiations for a new collective bargaining agreement, he is trying to be not let his emotions get the best of him. Players such as Ian White of the Red Wings have been outspoken against commissioner Gary Bettman, with White calling the commissioner an “idiot.”

“I’m definitely frustrated,” Thornton told WEEI.com. “I want to be playing, there’s no doubt about that. [I’m] absolutely pissed off that it’s the middle of November, going into late November and we’re still doing this, but I don’t think me badmouthing anyone is going to speed the process up. I’m just trying to not be as emotional as I’d like to be because it just gets me all fired up. That doesn’t really do anything, except when I’m sparring with my boxing coach, and he doesn’t like it.”

Thornton, 35, has been unable to find work since the lockout began. There was some talk of him going to Belfast to play for the Giants (the team the B’s played in 2010 preseason exhibition in a city in which he has family ties), but financial issues arose, likely over who would foot the bill for the insurance policy that would be taken out. Thornton said he is still looking and that he would play in Europe if the opportunity presented itself.

“Nothing’s out there,” he said. “If something comes up I would be more than willing to go. I’d like to be playing by now, but unfortunately it’s the top guys that are getting those jobs.”

Thornton has attended meetings in Toronto, and more recently, in New York. He put his full support behind union head Donald Fehr while getting a shot in at the league’s most recent offer.

“I think he’s done a great job so far trying to navigate through this as best as possible because it hasn’t been easy on the other side,” he said. “I mean, in this last offer, there’s nothing that the players get out of it. It’s just all take, take, take.”

Read More: Shawn Thornton,
Former Bruin Stan Jonathan charged in hunting death 11.14.12 at 8:26 pm ET
By   |  4 Comments

Former Bruins forward Stan Jonathan has been charged with criminal negligence causing death in a hunting death.

Jonathan, 57, was deer hunting when he shot and killed Peter Kosid, who was wearing camouflage. According to a CBC report, Jonathan went over after firing the shot and the police were called after Kosid’s body was found.

In his NHL career, Jonathan had 91 goals and 110 assists for 201 points in 411 games. He played parts of eight seasons for the B’s.

Read More: Stan Jonathan,
Mark Recchi feels players should take what they can get now 11.13.12 at 3:01 pm ET
By   |  2 Comments

Retired NHL forward Mark Recchi, now a part owner of the Kamloops Blazers (WHL), told the Boston Globe that he feels the locked-out players should accept what the owners are offering and get back on the ice.

Recchi believes that the owners’ offers are only going to get worse over time, so he believes the players should take what they can get now.

‘€œThe longer they’€™re out, the revenues are going to go down and down,’€™’€™ Recchi said. ‘€œCorporate sponsors aren’€™t going to be lining up . . . so there goes that money. The schedule isn’€™t going to be 82 games, I don’€™t think, at this point. That’€™s more money lost. So, how are you going to get a better deal? Personally, I think the best time is now.’€™’€™

Recchi also said that regardless of how the deal looks for the players in the court of public opinion, the players should realize that these don’t end up as bad as they may look at first.

“The players always get their money,’€™’€™ he said. ‘€œThey’€™re always going to get paid, no matter what. Look at that last deal. We ended up with the cap and everyone thought it was a bad deal. But it ended up great, right? No matter what the system is, or has been, the players get their money. No matter what the contract, the owners always find a way to pay them more. That’€™s why I say, get a deal and get back in there . . . the money’€™s always there.’€™’€™

Thus far, all NHL games through November, as well as the annual Winter Classic, have been cancelled due to the lack of a collective bargaining agreement between the owners and the NHL players association.

Read More: Mark Recchi,
NHL officially cancels Winter Classic 11.02.12 at 3:36 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on NHL officially cancels Winter Classic

The NHL officially cancelled the 2013 Winter classic shortly after 3 p.m. on Friday. The annual outdoor game was scheduled to be played between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs on Jan. 1 at Michigan Stadium. In a press release announcing the cancellation, the league said that the teams will play in the next Winter Classic.

HBO, who produces the behind-the-scenes series, “NHL 24/7″ had to know by mid-November whether the game would be played so they could film the teams leading up to the annual outdoor game. In addition to losing the Winter Classic, the league has cancelled games through the end of November due to a lack of collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners.

Report: Chris Kelly headed to Switzerland 10.31.12 at 12:10 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Report: Chris Kelly headed to Switzerland

According to a tweet from Finnish sportswriter Matias Strozyk, Bruins center Chris Kelly has signed with HC Red Ice of the Swiss League.

Kelly becomes the third Bruin to head to Switzerland, as both Tyler Seguin (HC Biel) and Patrice Bergeron (HC Lugano) are in Switzerland for the lockout.

Read More: Chris Kelly, Patrice Bergeron, Tyler Seguin,
NHL cancels games through Nov. 30 10.26.12 at 2:13 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on NHL cancels games through Nov. 30

The NHL announced Friday that it has cancelled games through Nov. 30 as a result of the current lockout.

Had a deal been struck at some point this week, the league felt it would be able to start an 82-game season on Nov. 2, but the lack of a new CBA led to the further cancellations. Should games through November be cancelled, the league would lose the Nov. 23 game between the Bruins and Rangers, more notably the first game to be televised by NBC and what many thought before the lockout would be a possible starting point for the season.

Tuukka Rask injured playing in Czech Republic 10.23.12 at 6:53 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Tuukka Rask injured playing in Czech Republic

Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask suffered a groin injury playing for HC Plzen of the Czech Extraliga Tuesday. According to a tweet from Czech play-by-play announcer Roman Jedlicka, Rask left the game after the first period.

Rask had suffered an abdomen strain/groin strain last season, and he didn’t play again after sustaining the injury on March 3 against the Islanders.

Said Rask to a Czech TV station following the game Tuesday: “I slightly pulled my groin. It is not serious. I had groin problems last year so i took little rest just for precaution.”

Rask’s injury is the first known injury suffered by a Bruins player playing overseas during the NHL lockout.

Read More: Tuukka Rask,

Latest from Bleacher Report

Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines