|NHL owners make new proposal to NHLPA||10.16.12 at 1:05 pm ET|
The NHL owners may have made a big move towards resolving the lockout, as the league submitted a new offer for a collective bargaining agreement that would call for a 50-50 split of hockey-related revenue and no salary rollbacks for current contracts.
Commissioner Gary Betman told reporters Tuesday that the league has given Donald Fehr and the NHLPA “about 10 days” to accept the offer. Should the deal be accepted, the NHL season would begin on Nov. 2 and every team would play an extra game every five weeks in order to play a full 82-game schedule.
Other unknown details of the offer may make the offer less appealing to the NHLPA than the news of a 50-50 split without rollbacks might suggest, but the news of the offer over one month since either side has submitted one should serve as encouraging news. Thus far, games have been cancelled through Oct. 24.
|A few notes on what would have been opening night in the NHL||10.11.12 at 4:34 pm ET|
As you’ve probably noticed by now, the NHL isn’t exactly happening these days. The lockout is still going strong as recent negotiating sessions between the owners and NHL players association have focused on secondary issues rather than the biggest issue: money.
The league was set to begin its regular-season schedule Thursday, and the Bruins would have been in Philadelphia to kick off the season against the Flyers. Games through Oct. 24 were cancelled last week, and it wouldn’t surprise anyone if more games are cancelled soon.
Instead of watching hockey on Thursday, you can check out these notes and links:
– The great Greg Wyshynski has a tremendous column on Puck Daddy on what hockey fans are missing out on Thursday. Wyshynski writes of what Thursday would have been, including a chance for fans to see new line combinations and new players on new teams, amongst other things.
Speaking of which, there wouldn’t have been too many new faces for the Bruins were they to take the ice Thursday night in Philly, though it likely would have been Dougie Hamilton‘s NHL debut. Hamilton is back in the OHL season, where he has recorded three goals and four assists for seven points through eight games for Niagara. Once a new collective bargaining agreement is reached, Hamilton will be free to join the Bruins.
– While several players are currently playing overseas in Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, Tyler Seguin, David Krejci, Andrew Ference, Rich Peverley, Tuukka Rask and Anton Khudobin, there are plenty who aren’t.
Some Bruins have held informal practices in local rinks since the lockout and have been joined by local NHLers such as Keith Yandle. Shawn Thornton has been looking for work overseas but has yet to secure a deal, while Nathan Horton has chosen to not play hockey at all during the lockout. Brad Marchand is sticking around these parts for now, but his agent told WEEI.com Thursday that he will look at European options once it appears the NHL season is in jeopardy.
– Bergeron made his presence felt in his Swiss League debut on Tuesday, turning in a monster performance with two goals and two assists for four points. Bergeron played for Providence during the 2004-05 lockout. For a look at how other Bruins have fared overseas thus far, check out the latest edition of Bruins away from Boston.
– The longer the lockout drags on, the greater the chance that NHL players will injure themselves playing elsewhere. Thus far, the likes of Rick Nash, Jakub Voracek, Jiri Hudler and Kris Russell have been hurt playing overseas. Before signing with other teams, NHL players price insurance policies depending on their injury histories, with their European teams often footing the bill.
|Brad Marchand staying in Boston for now, might consider Europe in future||10.11.12 at 2:55 pm ET|
On the day that would have seen the NHL begin its regular-season schedule, agent Wade Arnott said Bruins forward Brad Marchand will stay in the Boston area for the time being in hopes that a new collective bargaining agreement can be reched between the NHL and the NHLPA.
Arnott told WEEI.com Thursday that though Marchand is staying in North America for now, he could consider playing in Europe in the future if it appears the league will lose the entire season as it did in 2004-05.
Said Arnott: “If the season becomes in jeopardy then Brad may look more seriously at his European playing options.”
Marchand, 24, was second on the Bruins with 28 goals last season, his second in the NHL.
|Bruins away from Boston roundup: Anthony Camara continues to impress||10.08.12 at 12:21 pm ET|
Here’s the latest check on the Bruins’ stats as they play elsewhere during the lockout. Not everyone is in action quite just yet, as Patrice Bergeron (Switzerland) and Andrew Ference (Czech) have signed with their teams but have yet to play. Shawn Thornton is still looking for work, so keep an eye on that situation as it unfolds.
[Certain leagues’ stats take a little longer to surface on the various hockey statistics sites (HockeyDB is used for most of these), so some statistics might not be up to the day/hour/minute/etc.]
Swiss National League A
– In four games for EHC Biel, Tyler Seguin has one goal and two assists for three points and and a minus-4 rating. For any college hockey fans out there, Seguin is teammates with former UNH forward Jacob Micflickier in Biel.
– Zdeno Chara has a KHL game under his belt after choosing to play for Prague Lev last week. Chara did not record any points and has an even rating.
– 2011 second-round pick Alexander Khokhlachev has struggled mightily with Moscow Spartak, and the 19-year-old could be leaving the KHL to return back to the OHL. The Windsor Spitfires, Khokhlachev’s OHL team, claimed the playmaking center on re-entry waivers last week to secure his rights in the event that he does return. In 14 KHL games, the Moscow native has one goal and a minus-5 rating. Khokhlachev only had OHL seasons under his belt before opting to play for Moscow Spartak, the team of which his father is the general manager.
– In seven games for Moscow Oblast Atlant, Bruins backup goalie Anton Khudobin has a 2.88 goals-against average and a .918 save percentage to go with his 2-3-2 record.
Czech Elite League
– After finally securing a deal in the Czech Elite League last week, David Krejci has one goal and an even rating through two games for HC Pardubice.
– Ference is in the Czech Republic and had his first practice for Ceske Budejovice HC on Monday morning.
Deutsche Eishockey League
– In two games for the Manheim Eagles, Dennis Seidenberg has not recorded any points and has an even rating game. Seidenberg chose the Eagles as his team for the lockout so he could play with his brother, forward Yannic Seidenberg.
– Through three games for JyP HT Jyvaskyla of the SM-liiga, Bruins forward Rich Peverley has one assist and four penalty minutes.
– Tough guy Anthony Camara continues to dominate in his fourth OHL season after scoring a hat trick in the season-opener. Through seven games for the Barrie Colts this season, Camara has seven goals and three assists for 10 points and a plus-1 rating. The Bruins’ third-round pick in 2011 also has 15 penalty minutes this season. It should be worth noting that Camara’s career high for goals in the OHL is 16, a number he should far surpass this season. Camara’s scoring has steadily increased over his OHL career, as he went from six to eight to 16 in his first three seasons.
– In seven games for the Niagara IceDogs, Dougie Hamilton has three goals and four assists for seven points and a plus-7 rating. Hamilton also has four penalty minutes.
– 2012 first-round pick Malcolm Subban has a 2.18 goals-against average and .929 save percentage through five games for the Belleville Bulls. His record this season is 3-2.
|NHL cancels regular-season games through Oct. 24||10.04.12 at 2:14 pm ET|
The NHL announced Thursday that it has cancelled regular-season games through Oct. 24. The regular season was set to kick off next week, but the lack of a collective bargaining agreement between the players and owners has led to the owners locking the players out.
The Bruins will miss six games due to the cancellations, including a pair of games against the Canadiens.
“We were extremely disappointed to have to make today’s announcement,” deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement released by the league. “The game deserves better, the fans deserve better and the people who derive income from their connection to the NHL deserve better.
“We remain committed to doing everything in our power to forge an agreement that is fair to the players, fair to the teams and good for our fans.
‘This is not about ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ a negotiation. This is about finding a solution that preserves the long-term health and stability of the League and the game. We are committed to getting this done.’
|Report: David Krejci finally secures Czech deal||10.03.12 at 2:49 pm ET|
According to the Boston Herald, Bruins center David Krejci will finally sign with HC Pardubice of the Extra Liga in the Czech Republic. Insurance hangups had prevented Krejci from making a deal official in the weeks since he chose to sign with the team.
Krejci will play in the same league as Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference, who will join Ceske Budejovice this month.
|Patrice Bergeron to play in Switzerland during lockout||10.02.12 at 7:36 pm ET|
According to multiple reports, Bruins center Patrice Bergeron will play for HC Lugano of the Swiss National League A during the NHL lockout. Bergeron is the second Bruins player to choose Switzerland, as Tyler Seguin plays for EHC Biel.
Other Bruins playing overseas for the lockout include Tuukka Rask and Andrew Ference (Czech Extraliga), Rich Peverley (SM-liiga), Dennis Seidenberg (Deutsche Eishockey Liga) and Zdeno Chara and Anton Khudobin (KHL).