|Marc Savard ‘still suffering’ with concussion issues||08.02.11 at 5:24 pm ET|
News continues to emerge about the status of Bruins center Marc Savard, but unfortunately for the 34-year-old, it isn’t good on the concussion front.
Canadian media outlets, including TSN, caught up with Savard Monday as he had his day with the Stanley Cup in Peterborough, Ontario. Savard, who is recovering from his second concussion in as many seasons, said he is still have memory loss issues as well as other symptoms of post-concussion syndrome.
“It’s obviously been a long road for me. I’m still suffering with a lot of daily issues, right now it’s been a tough go,” Savard told reporters. “I’m just trying to get through and not worry about hockey right now, just worry about my health because I have three young kids and they’re important to me.”
“Mornings have been tough. When I get up in the morning I’m a little foggy sometimes,” he added. “But as the day wears on I’m pretty good. Hot sun is tough. I try to stay in the shade and stuff like that and pop the odd Advil and it seems to be okay.”
“At the end of the year it was a pretty emotional time; Peter told me that they are doing a petition to put me on the Cup. That’s special. That’s how good of a man he’s been and that’s why he’s gotten to where he is and deserves everything he’s had. Hopefully I get on it. It would be great, but you never know.”
Savard occasionally made it to Boston to watch his team in the playoffs, but he could not make the plane trips to Tampa or Vancouver due to his PCS. Though he could only play in 25 games last year and falls short of the requirement to get his name on the Cup (41 regular season games or one Cup finals game), Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli petitioned for he and Steven Kampfer (38 regular season games, no playoff games) to get on the Cup.
“At the end of the year it was a pretty emotional time. Peter told me that they are doing a petition to put me on the Cup,” Savard said. “That’s special. That’s how good of a man he’s been and that’s why he’s gotten to where he is and deserves everything he’s had. Hopefully I get on it.”
|Report: Savard still has headaches, expected to miss camp||07.29.11 at 1:02 am ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli has told the Boston Globe that center Marc Savard is still dealing with post-concussion symptoms, as the center continues to experience headaches stemming from his latest concussion. The report notes that “barring an immediate turnaround in his condition,” Savard will not be ready for training camp.
Savard, who missed the beginning of last season due to post-concussion syndrome, was once again shut down for the year after taking a routine hit from former teammate Matt Hunwick in the Bruins’ Jan. 22 contest vs. the Avalanche.
As a result of all the concussion issues, Savard played in just 25 games last season, 14 short of the 41 (or one in the finals) required for one to get their name on the Stanley Cup. The Bruins petitioned for both Savard and Steven Kampfer (38 regular-season games) to get their names on the trophy, but the report notes there is no news on the matter. Savard will have his day with the Cup on Monday.
|Report: Bruins, Brad Marchand still in early stages of negotiations||07.26.11 at 1:12 pm ET|
Bruins forward Brad Marchand said last week that hoped he and the B’s would have his new contract wrapped up over the course of the next week, and with no contract inked yet, it seems the wait may be longer. Marchand’s agent, Wade Arnott, told ESPN Boston Tuesday that negotiations with the B’s and the restricted free agent are not far along.
‘We remain in the early stages of contract discussions with the Bruins,’ Arnott told ESPN Boston’s James Murphy.
Marchand had 21 goals and 20 assists for 41 points in the regular season as a rookie. His 11 goals in the playoffs were second among all players, behind only teammate David Krejci.
‘Not at all,’ Marchand said last week when asked if he was surprised negotiations were taking so long. ‘There’s been a lot going on, obviously with the Cup and everything. That’s taking the leading role in everything, so I’m not surprised at all.
‘We’re obviously very excited to get something [done],’ Marchand added, ‘and hopefully it gets done soon.’
|Winnipeg Jets reveal logos||07.22.11 at 5:31 pm ET|
Good new, Bruins fans. When Blake Wheeler and Mark Stuart roll into town on Nov. 26, they’ll actually be wearing jerseys. After going logo-less since the Thrashers’ move to Winnipeg, the Jets on Friday revealed their new logos.
The logo isn’t exactly reminiscent of the olden days, but it certainly gets this scribe’s approval. Images courtesy of NHL.com.
|Zdeno Chara has his time with the Stanley Cup||07.22.11 at 10:03 am ET|
Zdeno Chara has the Stanley Cup for the beginning of the weekend (Friday and Saturday), and the Bruins’ captain kicked off his time with it in his native Slovakia by enjoying some rice pudding from the trophy. Here’s a photo of Chara doing so, courtesy of Slovakian website sme.sk:
|No update on who gets on the Stanley Cup||07.21.11 at 4:47 pm ET|
After the Bruins won the Stanley Cup last month, we asked B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli whether he had planned on petitioning for Marc Savard and Steven Kampfer to get their names put on the trophy, and the GM said he intended to do so. One has to play either 41 regular season games or one Stanley Cup finals game in order to get on the Cup, but if the league is flexible, both Savard and Kampfer have easy cases.
Savard, who played in only 25 games, would have played more had he not suffered a season-ending concussion. Kampfer played 38 games and was injured while playing in Providence late in the season.
As it relates to Savard, Greg Wyshysnki of the Puck Daddy blog on Yahoo! Sports (great for national stuff and a daily must-read), asked Bruins director of communications Matt Chmura recently, with Chmura relaying that no decisions had been made.
It’s hard to imagine this being a major issue either way. If one had to bet on it, the safe bet would be that both Savard and Kampfer should end up getting their names on the Cup.
|Tomas Kaberle a true Role Model with Stanley Cup||07.21.11 at 4:15 pm ET|
Stick-tap to our friend Matt Kalman of The Bruins Blog for catching this story about Tomas Kaberle‘s day with the Stanley Cup yesterday. We posted a couple of videos of Kaberle with the Cup in the Czech Republic yesterday, but nobody could have seen this coming. Check out this photo from isport.cz, which the Globe and Mail picked up:
Here’s NHL.com‘s explanation:
After a brief stop to take some pictures with the Cup, Kaberle just entered Kladno for a stop at Velky Tanecni Sal, which appears to be a Knights of Columbus-type establishment, where hundreds of people are waiting for an opportunity to see their Stanley Cup Champion and local hero.
Upon entering the hall, Kaberle was greeted by a band called The Hello Piggy Band. Kaberle was brought on stage and received a sword and shield. He also presented the Stanley Cup to the crowd and received a real hero’s welcome when he hoisted the trophy over his head.
One probably has tons of questions after seeing this, none of which should be bigger than the mystery of why Kaberle didn’t invide Joe Lo Truglio and Christopher Mintz-Plasse along.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara