|Malcolm Subban to play in AHL this season||07.10.13 at 1:03 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said after the open of the team’s development camp Wednesday that Malcolm Subban is expected to go pro this coming season. The 19-year-old goalie, whom the Bruins chose in the first round of the 2012 draft, will play in the AHL for at least a couple of seasons before he would be considered for a job in Boston.
Subban spent the last four seasons playing for the Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League. His older brother P.K. played for the Bulls prior to him, and his younger brother Jordan, who was drafted by the Canucks this year, currently plays for Belleville.
Last season was Subban’s best in the OHL, as he went 29-11-4 for the Bulls with a 2.14 goals-against average, .934 save percentage and five shutouts.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Tyler Seguin faces character questions in Stars introduction||07.09.13 at 5:37 pm ET|
While Loui Eriksson spoke to the Boston media for the first time Monday and fielded questions about how his two-way game fits with the defensive-minded Bruins, Tyler Seguin‘s introduction to the Stars was met with questions about image issues and his forced retirement from social media.
Seguin was all smiles as he donned his new No. 91 uniform (No. 9 is retired for Mike Modano and 19, which he wore in Boston, is retired for Bill Masterton), but his Q & A with the Dallas media was rather interesting. The first question especially was strange, as he was asked about embracing a fresh start in Dallas after all he’d been through in Boston, and he said this:
“For starters, obviously there were a lot of young guys on my last team. I was the only single guy, so i’m excited to meet some new faces, to have a new start. I’m very exited for the new experience.”
He then faced a slew of questions about a homophobic tweet sent out about Texas Saturday night, which led to Stars GM Jim Nill ordering him off Twitter. Seguin denied sending the tweet, adding, “I don’t believe it was one of my friends” that sent it.
“My twitter was, in fact, taken over along with a few other things with my name,” he said. “It definitely didn’t feel good that my name was out there saying negative things, but I definitely want to apologize to anyone that was hurt by what I said and I’m definitely happy to be moving on.”
Seguin said that two of his three homophobic tweets from his account occurred while his phone was in his pocket. He had previously admitted to one in which he used the term “no homo.”
Given everything that’s gone on, Seguin was asked if he felt that he was coming to Dallas with PR issues after the Bruins publicly expressed concern with his professionalism. He said that the “media needs to do their job and they have a tough one at it,” and that the needs to “move on from it” and “prove people wrong.”
The session ended with a question about moving to center. It was the only hockey question shown in the video of the press conference posted by the Stars.
|Tyler Seguin takes break from Twitter, Stars release statement on controversial tweet||07.07.13 at 3:32 pm ET|
After sending out an insensitive tweet Saturday night, former Bruins forward Tyler Seguin tweeted Sunday that he is “shutting down” his account “for a while.”
Seguin, who was traded to the Stars Thursday, tweeted the following on Saturday:
The tweet was loosely quoting the movie “Full Metal Jacket,” but it was the second time he tweeted something homophobic in recent memory, as he said “no homo” in a tweet in which he said a song gave him goosebumps in April. He followed Saturday’s tweet by saying that his account was hacked and then decided to take a break from Twitter.
After repeated attempts by “hackers” to try to damage my reputation I have decided to shut down my twitter account for a while.
' Tyler Seguin (@tylerseguin92) July 7, 2013
Of course, he did not actually shut down the account and it is still active, so he or his friends could still slip up for a third time. The Stars PR department will stay tuned.
The Stars released the following statement in wake of the tweet:
'In no way, shape or form does the Dallas Stars organization condone or agree with the message that was sent out through Tyler Seguin's Twitter feed last night. We've addressed the issue directly with Tyler and we'll continue to work on educating our players regarding the importance of their conduct on all forms of social media.'
|Jarome Iginla signing a smart move for Bruins amidst turnover||07.05.13 at 9:52 pm ET|
This has to feel weird for some Bruins fans, but it isn't.
The Jarome Iginla-to-not-the-Bruins-to-the-Penguins-then-to-the-Bruins is like LeBron James requesting a trade to the Cavaliers. It's like Macklemore deciding now to sign with a major label. It's like Jason going back out with Jessica after dumping her for Alex M.
Yet at the end of the day, it shouldn't be a major shock. The Bruins obviously like Iginla (duh, they traded for him) and Iginla clearly wants to win a Cup (he chose what appeared to be the best team at the trade deadline). Factor in that the Penguins had less than $700,000 in cap space late in the day Friday and the Bruins had quite a bit of it, and the two sides are actually a logical fit.
Iginla makes all the sense in the world on Boston's top line to replace the departed Nathan Horton. Remember, when it seemed like the Bruins had him at the deadline, we were all assuming that he would take the right wing spot on David Krejci's line and bump Horton down to the third line. When Horton told the B's he wasn't coming back and the Bruins saw the right wing market vanish over the course of the day, replacing Horton with another power forward for much less money (his deal is incentive-heavy and will only count for $1.8 million against the cap) it was a no-brainer.
Now, after a crazy two days that saw the Bruins lose six players from last year's roster (it will likely become seven once Jaromir Jagr finds his next destination) and add two or three, the question is whether the Bruins are in shape to be better or worse than they were last season.
The Bruins went from this offense:
Lucic – Krejci – Horton
Marchand – Bergeron – Jagr
Peverley – Kelly – Seguin
Paille – Campbell – Thornton
to a projected 2013-14 offense of:
Lucic – Krejci – Iginla
Marchand ' Bergeron ' Eriksson
[Any combination of Kelly, Soderberg, Caron, Knight, Fraser or somebody else]
Paille – Campbell ' Thornton
Two things stand out about the differences between the lineups. Most notably, they have some things to figure out as far as the third line goes, unless they add another player. Secondly, this is now a lineup that, without guys like Horton, Seguin and Peverley, demands to be the scorer-by-committee club the Bruins were two years ago.
You'd have to imagine Eriksson, Lucic or Marchand will lead the team in goals, but the B's ' perhaps outside of Eriksson ' don't have that super dangerous threat. Basically, they don't have the player Tyler Seguin was supposed to be.
That's OK as long as not too many guys have down years. The B's didn't have a 30-goal scorer two years ago, yet they still finished tied for second in the league with 3.17 goals per game. They had six 20-goal scorers that season, and all six of Boston's projected top-six forwards can pop in 20 if they stay healthy. It's the third line that still looks to be a work in progress.
For what the situation was ' the cap coming down and dealing with a couple of bad contracts in Seguin and Rich Peverley ' Peter Chiarelli has done well with it so far. So it's a matter of what kind of deal he gets Tuukka Rask to sign and whether he's able to add another guy to the bottom six.
Say this, though: the 2013-14 Bruins are going to be different than last year's team. There's nothing that says that better than seeing Jarome Iginla.
|Bruins announce minor moves||07.05.13 at 8:43 pm ET|
In the press release to announce the signing of Jarome Iginla, the Bruins also announced that they have signed four other players in goalie Chad Johnson, forwards Bobby Robbins and Nick Johnson as well as defenseman Mike Moore.
Robbins’ deal is a two-year, two-way deal, while Chad Johnson got a one-year, one-way deal and Nick Johnson and Moore got one-year, two-way deals.
From their press release:
In four regular season games with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2012-13, Chad Johnson posted a 2-0-2 record with a 1.21 goals against average and a .954 save percentage with one shutout.
The 27-year-old netminder saw action in six games with the New York Rangers from 2009-11, posting a 1-2-1 record, giving him a career goals against average of 1.97 and a .929 save percentage. In total, Johnson has played in 10 NHL games and has recorded a 3-2-3 record.
The goaltender appeared in a total of 170 American Hockey League games from 2009-13 with the Hartford Wolfpack, Connecticut Whale and Portland Pirates, compiling a 74-70-12 record. In 2009-10, Johnson set a career-high with 24 wins as a member of Hartford Wolfpack (AHL), where he posted a 2.54 goals against average and a .911 save percentage.
The 6'3'', 195-pound native of Calgary, Alberta was selected by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the fifth round (125th overall) of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. The Penguins traded the rights to Johnson to the New York Rangers on June 27, 2009 in exchange for a fifth round pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft and Phoenix signed Johnson as a free agent in 2013.
Robins has skated the past two seasons (2011-13) with the Providence Bruins (American Hockey League) and appeared in 107 games, registering six goals and 17 assists for 23 points. In 2012-13, the forward racked up 316 penalty minutes (career high), which led both the P-Bruins and the AHL. The 31-year-old also led Providence in PIM's in 2011-12, amassing 150 penalty minutes in 33 games.
The 31-year-old Robins has skated in 212 AHL games in his career, recording 17 goals and 28 assists while accruing 610 penalty minutes.
In 12 AHL playoff games with Providence this year, Robins earned a goal and an assist with 69 penalty minutes, which led the league.
The 6'1'', 220-pound forward is from Peshtigo, Wisconsin and played his collegiate hockey at UMass-Lowell.
Nick Johnson skated in 17 games in 2013 for the Phoenix Coyotes, recording four goals and two assists for six points with a plus-three rating. The 27-year-old forward played in 10 games for Pittsburgh from 2009-11 and 77 games for Minnesota in 2011-12. In total, the winger has accrued 14 goals and 23 assists for 37 points in 104 NHL games.
He appeared in combined 183 AHL games with the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (169 games) and the Portland Pirates (14 games) from 2007-13, recording 53 goals and 17 assists with 142 penalty minutes.
The 6'1'', 183-pound native of Calgary, Alberta was drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the third round (67th overall) of the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. He was claimed off waivers by the Minnesota Wild on September 29, 2011 before signing a one-year, two-way contract with Phoenix on July 11, 2012.
Moore joins the Bruins organization after spending the previous year in the Predators system, playing in 50 games for Milwaukee Admirals. The 28-year-old notched five goals and 11 assists for 16 points with Milwaukee, while accumulating 42 penalty minutes. Prior to Nashville, Moore spent four seasons in the San Jose organization, skating in 253 games for the Worcester Sharks from 2007-12, tallying 14 goals and 58 assists while racking up 365 penalty minutes. While with the Sharks, Moore appeared in six NHL games with San Jose, potting one goal with seven PIM's
The blueliner has skated in 27 AHL postseason games, earning one goal and one assist with 33 penalty minutes.
Moore checks in at 6'1'' and weighs 206 pounds. The Calgary, Alberta native spent 2004-08 with the Princeton University Tigers before signing with the San Jose Sharks as a free agent on April 8, 2008. On July 3, 2012 the Nashville Predators signed Moore as a free agent.
|Bruins sign Jarome Iginla||07.05.13 at 7:50 pm ET|
The Bruins have signed free agent right wing Jarome Iginla to a one-year, $6 million deal that is heavily incentive-based.
The deal carries a $1.8 million base salary, with $4.2 million in potential bonuses. ESPN reports that $3.7 million is in a games played bonus, with the other $500,000 depending on goal-scoring and team playoff performance.
The 36-year-old spurned the Bruins at the trade deadline when he used his no-trade clause to reject a deal that would have sent him to Boston, asking instead to be traded to the Penguins. Iginla went without a point in four games against the B’s in Boston’s sweep of the Eastern Conference finals.
The Bruins will become Iginla’s third team, as the Stars’ draft pick had spent his entire NHL career with the Flames prior to last season’s trade to the Penguins.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Michael Ryder chooses Devils over Bruins||07.05.13 at 6:53 pm ET|
With Ryder off the market, 36-year-old Jarome Iginla remains the best available option on the right wing market. The Bruins are in search of a first-line right wing after losing Nathan Horton, Rich Peverley, Tyler Seguin and likely Jaromir Jagr thus far this offseason.
For more Bruins coverage, visit weei.com/bruins.
- Orpik hit on Eriksson and the Thornton hit on Orpik: Both are terrible
- Public Skate Second Period: Bruins 1, Penguins 2
- Public Skate: Bruins vs. Penguins, 7PM EST
- Bruins vs. Penguins Preview: Bounce-back.
- Fresh Links: But We Were Just Getting To Know You Edition
- Boychuk out 3-7 days, not weeks. Let's go to the movies!
- Fresh Links: Wound Licking Edition