Big Bad Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Bruins lead Lightning, 2-0, after one 12.02.10 at 7:46 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

It may be Marc Savard‘s season debut, but after a period, the Bruins have another center and a wacky play to thank for their 2-0 lead over the Lightning.

David Krejci took a pass from Milan Lucic at the blue line, flew past a defender and fired a wrist shot past Lightning goaltender Mike Smith at 10:52. It was his third goal of the season and first since Oct. 30. Dennis Seidenberg puked up first goal tally of the season thanks to a lazy shot gone awry from center ice. Smith misplayed the puck to allow the odd goal with 20 seconds left in the period.

Tim Thomas kept up the impressive play that shut out the Flyers a night earlier, as he stopped all 15 of the Lightning’s shots in the first period. He did allow Tampa Bay an opportunity on a big rebound when he was out of position, but Steven Stamkos‘ line was unable to capitalize on it.

Savard got a standing ovation when he took his first shift of the night, and was once again recognized on the jumbotron during a timeout.

Both teams are 0-for-1 on the power play. The Lightning are outshooting the B’s, 15-9.

Read More: David Krejci, Dennis Seidenberg, Marc Savard,
Report: Marco Sturm trade is off for time being 12.02.10 at 7:00 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

According to a tweet from TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the deal that would send Bruins forward Marco Sturm to the Kings is up in the air due to medical concerns. Sturm is coming off a second major knee surgery and is weeks away from being able to play in games.

Sturm had reportedly waived his no-trade clause to facilitate the deal. McKenzie is reporting that there is “no deal in place at this time” and that there is uncertainty over whether a deal could be completed.

Read More: Marco Sturm,
Tyler Seguin hopes to continue to following Steven Stamkos’ path 12.02.10 at 3:01 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

If there’s anybody a young scorer would want to be compared to this season, it’s Steven Stamkos. The Lightning center already has 21 goals this season and is on pace for 69. It’s remarkable production considering Stamkos is just 20 years of age.

In the case of Tyler Seguin, the comparisons he has received to Stamkos are undoubtedly cases of high praise, but the measurables seem to warrant them.

Both players were both highly coveted right-handed centers in their respective drafts, as Stamkos went first overall in 2008 and Seguin was taken second overall in 2010. They both had dominant OHL careers as well, with Stamkos potting 58 goals in 2007-08 with the Sarnia Sting, and Seguin winning the Red Tilson award for the OHL’s most outstanding player with 48 goals last year for the Plymouth Whalers. They’ve also got similar body types (Seguin is 6-foot-1, 186 pounds while Stamkos is 6-foot-0, 176 pounds). Finally, Stamkos’ hometown of Markham, Ontario is a 45-minute drive from Seguin’s native Brampton.

Stamkos has established himself as one of the league’s most explosive players at a very young age, and Seguin — the same guy who doesn’t like to “over-respect” his opponents before a game — would love if his billing as the next Stamkos proves to be true.

“I try to [play like Stamkos],” Seguin said Thursday. “He’s definitely doing really good right now.”

Seguin has five goals this season through 23 games. He is on pace for 18 goals, which would be less than Stamkos’ 23 as a rookie, but Seguin seems to be right where the Tampa Bay star was two years ago. Through 23 games, Stamkos actually had just three goals on the season. He didn’t really kick things into high gear until February, and he hasn’t stopped scoring since.

“He adapted to the league [and] I think it took him probably half a season in his rookie year,” Seguin said of Stamkos. “I’ll probably be around there hopefully and just keep on going.”

The two players met over the summer at the increasingly legendary Atlantic City Bauer campaign. It was there that Seguin also met and got to know Phil Kessel.

Read More: Steven Stamkos, Tyler Seguin,
Quick reaction to the Marco Sturm trade 12.02.10 at 1:23 pm ET
By   |  4 Comments

With Thursday’s news that the Bruins have traded Marco Sturm to the Kings [UPDATE: Multiple outlets are reporting the deal is off for the time being due to health concerns], things may seem to be a bit up in the air for the Bruins. The reality is that they are just the opposite, and that things are finally calm in what was once an endless sea of questions about the team’s salary cap situation.

The Bruins first shed salary when they sent Matt Hunwick to the Avalanche on Tuesday, relinquishing the B’s of Hunwick’s $1.45 million cap hit and allowing them to activate Marc Savard when appropriate. Still, the Bruins weren’t kidding themselves by suggesting their selling off of assets was done, considering that Sturm’s $3.5 million would be back on the books once his knee was fully healed.

‘€œWe have another move to make, and we’€™ll leave it at that,’€ Peter Chiarelli said after the Hunwick trade.

It had to be a big move, and after months of speculation regarding what it may be, it’s finally been made, and the team doesn’t need to worry about the cap anymore. According to Cap Geek, the B’s are now $46,128 under the $59.4 million threshold. Here’s some quick points regarding Sturm’s dealing.

- After all the speculation that Michael Ryder would be the odd man out when Savard and Sturm returned, Ryder is sticking around. It seemed a logical line of thinking that given his $4 million price tag, a trade or demotion to the AHL for Ryder might be the cleanest move for the Bruins, as it would solve their cap woes without too many pieces having to move around.

Quite frankly, Ryder deserved to stay, and the Bruins are better off for having chosen to keep him over Sturm. He’s third on the team in goals with six, and more importantly, he has perhaps been — surprisingly or not — the best asset for Tyler Seguin. The latest case of their work together was on display Wednesday night when Ryder set up Seguin’s first-period goal on a 2-on-1.

While it may seem a bit odd to think the Bruins, who struggled so mightily to score goals a season ago, would be wise to get rid of the guy who led them in goals in 2009-10, Sturm is too big an unknown at this point. From all indications, he’s still a few weeks from being able to play in games, and the Bruins have gotten enough out of guys like Ryder and Blake Wheeler that of the three, that Sturm was the most expendable. It will be interesting to see how his knees hold up, as he’s had major surgery on each of them.

- Put the kibosh on all of that Seguin World Juniors Championships talk. The team could have temporarily been given some cap relief with Seguin spending Dec. 26 through Jan. 5 in Buffalo, but there’s no longer a need for that. With Sturm gone, they would benefit in exactly zero ways from letting Seguin play in the WJC.

- There goes the proof of the Joe Thornton trade happening (well, based on the initial members of the deal, at least). Sturm was the last player remaining of the package the Bruins received from the Sharks in exchange for Thornton. The Bruins also got Brad Stuart and Wayne Primeau in the deal for the center and former B’s captain.

Read More: Marc Savard, Marco Sturm,
Report: Bruins trade Marco Sturm to Kings 12.02.10 at 12:58 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger (via twitter) the Bruins have traded winger Marco Sturm to the Kings. According to ESPN’s James Murphy, the Bruins received a conditional fifth-round pick.

Sturm is still recovering from a torn ACL and MCL suffered in last year’s playoffs. In trading him and his $3.5 million salary cap hit, the team will be cap-compliant without any issue. The team would have needed to shed salary before Sturm’s return, as they had been given cap relief with both Sturm and Marc Savard on long-term injury reserve.

The Bruins are now $46,128 under the cap, according to CapGeek.

Read More: Marco Sturm,
Marc Savard to meet with Claude Julien, Peter Chiarelli to determine status vs. Lightning 12.02.10 at 12:24 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off

Bruins center Marc Savard will meet with general manager Peter Chiarelli and coach Claude Julien Thursday afternoon to determine the Savard’s status for the team’s game against the Lightning on Thursday night.

“I don’t want to get too far ahead with predicting anything before I have an answer,” Julien said following the team’s off-ice work on Thursday. Savard was one of five players to skate Thursday morning, as he took the ice with Marco Sturm, Daniel Paille, Tuukka Rask, and Jordan Caron.

Julien did indicate that Savard has reached a point at which he is no longer adjusting or catching up in practice and workouts, and that his only remaining step in his return from post-concussion symptoms is to play.

“I think we’ve gotten as much as we can out him,” Julien said. “‘€¦ He’s at that stage where he’s pretty close to have reached his max with conditioning.”

Savard, meanwhile, said he’s unsure of whether the team even considers him a game-time decision against the Lightning.

“I don’t even know if it’s that,” Savard said. “I just know that I’m meeting with them later on. ‘€¦ We’ll see what happens.”

The center has missed all of the season thus far after encountering symptoms of post-concussion syndrome late in the summer. The team shut him down and kept him out of training camp to avoid worsening the condition. He has since returned to workout and taking the ice, and has been taking and receiving physical contact on the ice since last Wednesday.

Savard admitted that all of the work has seemed familiar as he’s gone through the motions over and over again, but he sees a light at the end of the tunnel.

“I think at the end of the day, skating every day and after practice and stuff, it gets long and gets a little monotonous, because you’re doing the same thing,” Savard said. “When I am  able to play, I can’t wait. It’s going to be an exciting time.”

Read More: Marc Savard,
Bruins, Seguin unsure of WJC status 12.01.10 at 10:12 pm ET
By   |  1 Comment

Tyler Seguin was cut by Team Canada for the World Juniors Championships last year, but that doesn’t mean he’s champing at the bit to temporarily leave the Bruins to play in the tournament this year.

ESPN’s James Murphy reported on Tuesday that the Bruins could consider giving the 18-year-old forward permission to play in the WJC. If Seguin were to play in the tournament, which runs from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5, it would allow the team temporary cap relief.

“I haven’t even heard about that,” Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters Wednesday morning. “Honestly, I don’t want to comment on it because I heard it through the media as well. I haven’t heard it from the horse’s mouth, so it’s not worth commenting on.”

While nobody is coming out and saying just how realistic a shot Seguin actually has at leaving the team for the tournament, Seguin expressed his desire to stay with the Bruins and help them during the regular season.

“Last year when I didn’t make the team at Christmas, it was the most adversity I think I had ever faced in my hockey career, and I had to overcome it,” Seguin told ESPN’s Joe McDonald. “I said if I ever got a second chance, and the opportunity, I would take advantage of it. But, I guess, I didn’t factor in being in the NHL too much, so I’ll take that over anything else.”

Seguin scored his fifth goal of the season on Wednesday. The second overall pick has nine points in his first season in the NHL

Read More: Tyler Seguin,
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines