Big Bad Blog AT&T
WEEI.com Blog Network
Ray Bourque apologizes in statement after accepting 1-year probation, license suspension in DUI case 07.07.16 at 9:01 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Ray Bourque apologizes in statement after accepting 1-year probation, license suspension in DUI case

Bruins legend Ray Bourque issued a statement of apology after being sentenced Wednesday to one year of probation for his accident last month when he was driving under the influence of alcohol.

Bourque, who also had his license suspended for an additional 45 days — added to the 180 days for refusing a chemical test at the police station — acknowledged during his hearing in Lawrence District Court that there was sufficient evidence for a conviction.

“I am willingly complying with every directive issued by the court,” Bourque said in his statement. “I take full responsibility for my actions and I will not seek nor take any short cuts. I want to apologize to the young people that I bumped in the vehicle ahead of me. I am thankful that no one was hurt.

“I have always lived my life dedicated to doing the best I can for myself and those around me. I have always strived for perfection but as we all know, my actions a few weeks ago were far from perfect. I know that I have let my family, friends, fans, the community and myself down. I apologize to all of you. I am sorry.

“I have begun to take the steps necessary to live my life in a better way. As always, I will learn from my mistakes and I will continue to focus on the positive impact I can have in the community and for those around me.”

Bourque, 55, was driving a Mercedes-Benz SUV when he rear-ended a Toyota Sienna minivan driven by an 18-year-old woman in Andover late in the evening on June 24. According to the police report, a breathalyzer test showed Bourque’s blood-alcohol level at .249, well above the legal limit. Bourque also showed signs of impairment, including a smell of alcohol, slurred speech and poor performance in field sobriety tests.

No one was injured in the accident, which occurred as the cars were entering a construction zone, although there was damage to the minivan.

Read More: Ray Bourque,
Former Bruin Kevin Stevens charged in oxycodone case 05.13.16 at 12:28 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Former Bruin Kevin Stevens charged in oxycodone case
Kevin Stevens, shown here skating in the Penguins' Winter Classic Alumni Game in 2011, was charged in federal court Thursday. (Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Kevin Stevens, shown here skating in the Penguins’ Winter Classic Alumni Game in 2011, was charged in federal court Thursday. (Justin K. Aller/Getty Images)

Kevin Stevens, a Massachusetts native who had a long NHL career that included a stint with the Bruins, was charged in federal court Thursday with conspiring to sell oxycodone.

According to a Boston Globe report citing court records, Stevens and Christopher Alonardo of Medford are charged with conspiracy and possession with intent to distribute oxycodone last fall. They are being held until Tuesday’s detention hearing.

Stevens’ attorney told the Globe that the 51-year-old remains plagued with “injuries, pain and other challenges,” and that he would contest the charges.

Stevens was raised in Pembroke. After starring at Boston College and playing on the 1988 U.S. Olympic hockey team in the Calgary Games, he embarked on a 15-year NHL career that resulted in 329 goals and 397 assists for 726 points. He played his first eight seasons with the Penguins, winning Stanley Cups in 1991 and ’92. In 1992 he had his most productive season, recording 54 goals and 69 assists for 111 points. His production started to dip after that, and he was traded to the Bruins after the 1994-95 season.

He spent half a season in Boston, recording 23 points in 41 games, before being shipped to the Kings. He was traded to the Rangers after the season. During his last of three seasons in New York (1999-200o), he was arrested after a game in St. Louis when he was caught in a motel with a prostitute and crack cocaine. He entered the NHL’s Substance Abuse Program in an attempt to get clean.

Following a 23-game stint with the Flyers in 2000-01, he was traded to the Penguins, where he played until the following season. He served as a Penguins scout from 2005-11, and has been coaching youth hockey in the Boston area since.

Read More: Kevin Stevens,
Don Sweeney confirms Claude Julien will return as Bruins coach 06.05.15 at 10:19 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Don Sweeney confirms Claude Julien will return as Bruins coach

Meeting with the media at the NHL scouting combine in Buffalo on Friday, new general manager Don Sweeney confirmed that coach Claude Julien and his staff will return next season.

Julien’s status had been in question since the Bruins failed to make the playoffs and Peter Chiarelli was fired as GM. Although Julien is starting a three-year contract extension he signed in November of last year, there was some concern that the team was no longer responding to him and it might be time for a change from Julien’s defense-oriented approach.

When he was introduced as GM last month, Sweeney said he planned to meet with Julien to discuss the disappointing season and what changes might need to be made. Sweeney said Friday that he did not speak to any other coaching candidates before deciding to stick with Julien and his staff.

“I needed to have conversations with each and every [coach] to know we were in agreement,” Sweeney told reporters Friday. “I’m not going to apologize for taking a little time to go through the process.”

Julien, 55, has a 351-192-79 record in eight seasons in Boston. He guided the Bruins to a championship in 2011 and another Stanley Cup Final appearance two years later.

Read More: Claude Julien, Don Sweeney,
Ex-Bruin Nick Boynton arrested after allegedly biting officer in casino rampage 03.27.15 at 12:19 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Ex-Bruin Nick Boynton arrested after allegedly biting officer in casino rampage
Nick Boynton

Nick Boynton

Former Bruins defenseman Nick Boynton, now a radio analyst for the Coyotes, was placed on leave from his job after being arrested at a Buffalo casino early Thursday morning.

“A police investigation is underway,” the team said in a statement. “We will continue to monitor the situation closely and until the continuing legal process is completed, we will have no further comment. Mr. Boynton has been placed on a leave of absence.”

Boynton, who joined the Coyotes radio broadcast team last July and was in Buffalo to broadcast Thursday night’s Coyotes-Sabres game, was charged with assault, disorderly conduct, harassment, resisting arrest, criminal mischief and obstruction of government administration. Police say he became abusive toward patrons and security personnel at the Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino, damaged casino property, then bit the hand of an officer who was trying to subdue him.

“When a customer sitting on a chair in one of the game pits asked him to stop yelling and swearing, Boynton went over to the customer and shoved him off the chair onto the floor,” a police source told The Buffalo News. “I didn’€™t think someone could get so crazy on alcohol. He was cursing and shouting that he knew how to make money and the casino didn’€™t.”

Boynton, 36, was in police custody at a Buffalo hospital Thursday night, apparently to get treatment for a condition related to his diabetes. He was due to be arraigned Friday in Buffalo City Court.

An Ontario native, Boynton was drafted by the Bruins 21st overall in 1999 and played in Boston from 1999-2000 through 2005-06. He then played for the Coyotes, Panthers, Ducks, Blackhawks and Flyers before retiring in 2011. He won a Stanley Cup with Chicago in 2010.

Read More: Nick Boynton,
Bruins recall F Alexander Khokhlachev from Providence 11.21.14 at 1:12 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Bruins recall F Alexander Khokhlachev from Providence

The Bruins called up forward Alexander Khokhlachev from AHL Providence on an emergency basis so that he will be eligible for Friday’s road game against the Blue Jackets.

Khokhlachev, a 5-foot-11, 184-pounder, has a team-high five goals along with 11 assists and a plus-2 rating.

The 21-year-old from Moscow was selected by the Bruins in the second round of the 2011 draft.

Read More: Alexander Khokhlachev,
Andy Brickley on MFB: ‘Maybe the [Patrice] Bergeron line needs a little change of scenery’ 10.29.14 at 1:26 pm ET
By   |  Comments Off on Andy Brickley on MFB: ‘Maybe the [Patrice] Bergeron line needs a little change of scenery’
Andy Brickley

Andy Brickley

NESN Bruins analyst Andy Brickley made his weekly appearance on Middays with MFB to discuss the Bruins’ disappointing start to the season. To hear the interview, go to the MFB audio on demand page.

The Bruins blew a two-goal lead and dropped a 4-3 decision to the Wild on Tuesday night, putting their record at 5-6 on the young season. Brickley said the team is “treading water,” evidenced by Tuesday’s performance.

“It was 3-1 after two periods, but the Bruins were not playing all that well,” Brickley said. “That score did not indicate that the Bruins were the better team through 40 minutes. There were just too many mistakes, lack of focus, poor decision-making, getting beat on the backcheck, the defense for Minnesota was jumping into the play. And every line was guilty, none more so than the [Patrice] Bergeron line.”

Brickley said coach Claude Julien might have to resort to mixing up lines in an attempt to jump-start the team.

“It’s that one step forward, one step back that has plagued this team this year, and that’s that lack of focus and the lack of compete and consistency, just not there. It’s really hard to understand, because the core group is together and should be well schooled in all these areas and understand what they have in front of them in terms of not wanting to chase it the first two months of the season and get too far behind in the standings.

“As a coach in these situations you try to emphasize the positive things when you think that’s the right approach. Sometimes you’ve got to call guys out — not in public, but certainly within the room. Claude right now is very frustrated on what he needs to do to get this team to play better. You may even have to see some line juggling. Maybe you keep that [Carl] Soderberg line together to give you the one constant. The way the [David] Krejci line produced last night, maybe you keep them together. But I don’t know, maybe the Bergeron line needs a little change of scenery because it’s not working right now.

“You could appeal to players’ sense of, you know, ‘We’ve got to win some hockey games here, boys, and we’ve got to play better and we’ve got to do the little things that make us a good team, and we’ve got to work together as five-man units,’ because they’re just not getting the results. It’s hard to explain, it’s hard to get your hands around. And that’s the challenge for the coaching staff right now.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Andy Brickley, Claude Julien, Matt Bartkowski, Patrice Bergeron
Milan Lucic fined $5K for obscene gesture toward Canadiens fans 10.17.14 at 11:57 am ET
By   |  Comments Off on Milan Lucic fined $5K for obscene gesture toward Canadiens fans

Milan Lucic lost his cool Thursday night, and now he’ll pay the price: $5,000.

The Bruins forward made an obscene gesture toward Montreal fans after being sent to the penalty box for boarding with 80 seconds to play and the B’s trailing by a goal.

After the Canadiens scored an empty-net goal for a 6-4 lead that would stand as the final score, Lucic proceeded to get thrown out of the game for confronting an official on his way to the bench from the box.

The league announced its decision Friday morning. The money will go to the Players’ Emergency Fund.

Read More: Milan Lucic,

Latest from Bleacher Report

Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines