Big Bad Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Julien nets multi-year contract extension from the Bruins 09.04.09 at 12:23 pm ET
By   |  No Comments

Boston Bruins coach Claude Julien was entering the final year of a three-year pact signed in the summer of 2007, but added onto that deal with a multi-year contract extension announced by B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli on Friday morning at the TD Garden. Chiarelli wouldn’t disclose the terms of the deal, and also said that he hasn’t yet embarked on expected extensions for the other members of the B’s coaching staff.

“Claude has shown tremendous propensity to get the maximum results for our team. To me, Claude is a roll-up-your-sleeves kind of guy that really connects with the players,” said Chiarelli. “I think he commands the respect that a coach needs to get to be successful while maintaining a common sense, humble approach. We’re very happy that he’s in the mix for years to come.”

Read More: Boston Bruins, Claude Julien, Peter Chiarelli,
Julien contract extension expected to be announced 09.03.09 at 4:28 pm ET
By   |  No Comments

The Boston Bruins have announced a 10 a.m. press conference at the TD Garden for an “announcement regarding” B’s coach Claude Julien, who was entering the final year of a three-year contract signed with the hockey club during the summer of 2007. It’s expected that the Bruins will announce a contract extension for last season’s Jack Adams Award winner at the press conference.

When Peter Chiarelli signed his own contract extension with the Bruins earlier this summer, the B’s GM said that retaining the entire coaching staff was high on the club’s priority list. An extension for Julien would appear to be one of the last orders of business prior to the opening of training camp on Sept. 12.

Begin ready for a new beginning with Boston 09.03.09 at 8:25 am ET
By   |  No Comments
Steve Begin plans to give the Marco Sturm 'Sturm Face' a run for its money this season

Steve Begin plans to give the Marco Sturm 'Sturm Face' a run for its money this season

Steve Begin said that he doesn’t do a lot of chirping out on the ice, but the hard-working forward still manages to get his message across in a way that’s been effective throughout his career. The 31-year-old Begin isn’t a 50-goal scorer and he isn’t going to dazzle with gaudy power play numbers, but he brings a set of hockey skills to the table that will help win hockey games.

Begin’s intangibles are valuable enough to Boston, in fact, that GM Peter Chiarelli was the only hockey executive that made the extra effort to contact the high-energy skater during the first day of hockey free agency this summer — and pretty much cinched that he was signing with Boston. Begin had his best seasons in Montreal while B’s coach Claude Julien was the head coach there, and all of that added up to an easy decision for Begin to choose the Spoked ‘B’ for the upcoming season.

“I said ‘Where do I sign?,” said Begin. “If you work hard then (Julien) is going to reward you. I wanted to be on a hard-working team.

“Big time. This is a perfect team for me and I said that from Day One. Usually with players like me teams will wait to call me until they take care of the bigger players, but they called me on the very first day. That meant a lot to me.” 

Begin takes the body at every opportunity, kills penalties and adds a different element to the Bruins as a player that doesn’t mind getting under the skin of enemy players during the heat of battle on the ice. He’s the kind of player that fans hate when he’s wearing the Bleu, Blanc and Rouge, and adore when he dons the Black and Gold of the hometown hockey team. A cross-check to the back of Marc Savard or a headshot to Michael Nylander in years past will be long forgotten when Begin is filling the provocateur role for the Bruins.

 The new B’s forward drove down from Quebec with his wife and two kids on Tuesday night, and went through his first on-ice skate with his new Bruins teammates on Wednesday afternoon. Afterward, Begin admitted that he’s probably a much better fit for these current Bruins teams than he was for a set of Canadiens squads more interested in scoring power play goals than playing gritty hockey.

“You need every kind of player on a team. You need fighters, you need guys that hit, block shots, defensive players, offensive players and goal-scorers. You need every kind of player if you’re going to win and you can’t just do it with 20 goal-scorers on a team,” said Begin, who had 12 points (7 goals, 5 assists) in 62 games for the Canadiens and Stars last season. “I’m a grinder. I’m not a big talker on the ice. I talk with my shoulders. I’m in-your-face. I just go skate, hit, block shots. That’s what is fun about this fun. Everybody contributes and talks with their shoulders. They hit and this is a hard team to play against.”

In just about every way imaginable, Begin is a much better fit for blue-collar Boston than the wine-and-cheese Les Habitants. That’s saying quite a bit for a puck-loving kid that grew up in Trois-Rivieres, Quebec.

“I played in Montreal for 5 1/2 years and it’s always been a big war against Boston. I can’t wait to be on this side of it, and to be on a good team,” said Begin. “That’s why you play hockey. You want to be on a first place team and you want to win.  They’ve got a good bunch of guys and it’s awesome  to be a part of a winning team. A lot of people told me they were pissed that I got traded (to Dallas) last year, and a few people told me they will cheer for the Bruins now. So I can’t wait to see that.”

With P.J. Axelsson and Stephane Yelle both out of the Black and Gold picture this season, there will certainly be an open spot on a Boston PK squad looking for quality members. Begin could be a gritty addition to a penalty kill unit that will certainly once again feature Blake Wheeler as a prominent piece of the puzzle, but the former Hab wasn’t getting ahead of himself prior to the Sept. 12 beginning of training camp. 

“We’ll start training camp and we’ll see how they use me,” said Begin, who said he’ll left wing, center and even right wing “if he has to”. “Of course I would like plenty of ice time, but I’ll just come and see what they want me to do and go from there. That’s what I do — play on the PK — and I think Claude (Julien) obviously knows this having coached me up in Montreal.

“They just told me to be in shape, come in and do my job. That’s all you can really do.”

That, and keep on talking with his shoulders like the rest of his new teammates.

Read More: Claude Julien, Peter Chiarelli, Steve Begin,
Krejci won’t rule out a return to Bruins lineup on Oct. 1 08.31.09 at 1:24 pm ET
By   |  5 Comments
David Krejci said he will return to the Bruins lineup at some point in October

David Krejci said he will return to the Bruins lineup at some point in October

WILMINGTON — David Krejci has been on the ice doing some light skating drills for the last week, and said on Monday afternoon that he wasn’t ruling out a return to the lineup for Boston Bruins opening night on Oct. 1 after offseason hip surgery.

Krejci was part of a skeleton B’s crew — that included Shawn Thornton, Marco Sturm, Tuukka Rask and Kevin Regan — who took part in the first day of informal Black and Gold practices at Ristuccia Arena in Wilmington. The crafty playmaker led the NHL in +/- last season and won the Bruins 7th Player Award, and is recovering quickly from surgery to repair a torn labrum in his right hip.

“It’s a process. I wish I was going at 100 percent, but I’m probably going 65, 70, 75 percent right now,” said Krejci. “I just started skating, but no November. October. We’re talking October (for a return). I would say maybe mid-October, but it’s hard to say because I just started skating. It’ll be October for sure”

Krejci said he won’t be ready for full-time drills with the rest of his team when the big hockey club starts official training camp on Sept. 12, but the 23-year-old hasn’t ruled out returning to full health in time for opening night at the TD Garden against the Washington Capitals on Oct. 1.

“Who knows? I might be ready. Who knows? But I just started skating and if I’m ready to play first game then I’ll play. But I don’t want to rush it. I’d rather miss a few games than be out for half of the year. There’s no point to rushing it.”

Krejci has consulted with Bruins trainer Scotty Waugh in his recovery while working out diligently over the summer, and appears to have added some muscle to his lithe frame. The center has also been comparing notes with B’s goaltender — and Southie native — Kevin Regan, who underwent a labrum hip surgery of his just months before Krejci went under the knife. The key has been slow and steady for Krejci, who stayed in Boston for much of the summer and made it over to the Newbury Street-area restaurants for most of the summer.

“Scotty Waugh told me that Mike Lowell had surgery on his hip, and he (Lowell) called me two months after surgery and said he feels great,” said Krejci. “Obviously it’s good to see another athlete have the surgery and keep playing. He’s playing all right and it’s been healing very well. Kevin Regan also had same surgery, and he got it a couple of months before me. So I’ve been asking him how it feels after a few months, and where he is at every few weeks. So it’s good.”

–Marco Sturm also took a few twirls on the practice ice Monday morning, and said his surgically repaired left knee (ACL, meniscus surgery) feels “much better” than it did during the July announcement of the NHL Winter Classic at Fenway Park. The German scorer didn’t anticipate having any problems with his left knee or being at full-strength to begin training camp, and wouldn’t have any limitations when things pick up on Sept. 12.

“I’ve started skating the last two weeks with my old team, and the first week was just okay. Last week was much better and much more comfortable, and we’ll go from there I guess,” said Sturm. “Practice the last two weeks has been full-out with one-on-ones and everything. It’s just timing and that’s all.

“I’m really excited to be back and glad to be skating with the guys again. It was good. Guys are coming in the next few days and I’m looking forward to having some fun. Being around the guys and playing hockey were the things you really miss watching on TV.”

Kelly relieved of Executive Director duties by NHLPA 08.31.09 at 10:47 am ET
By   |  No Comments

Boston native Paul Kelly’s highly successful two-year run as the Executive Director of the NHL Players Association came to a stunning close early Monday morning when the NHLPA Executive Board “overwhelmingly” voted to relieve Kelly of his executive duties.

The news was first reported by tsn.ca directly after Kelly was informed of the decision at roughly 3:30 a.m. in Chicago after waiting all day while the NHLPA’s Executive Board met about Kelly’s leadership. The Executive Board deliberated for nearly 10 hours while Kelly waited outside the meeting room with staunch union supporters like Glenn Healy and Pat Flatley.

Flatley reportedly resigned from his NHLPA position immediately following Kelly’s dismissal. 

No reason was given for Kelly’s removal, and the NHLPA did release a statement on Friday morning. The board said they would immediately form a search committee to identify and interview new candidates. The NHLPA Executive Board consists of player representatives from each of the 30 NHL teams, and those reps made the Friday morning announcement at their annual meetings in Chicago. 

The NHLPA released a statement addressing the firing: “Following the Executive Board’s review of the overall operation of the NHLPA, it was decided that Paul Kelly should no longer continue to serve as Executive Director. We appreciate Mr. Kelly’s service to our Association.”

Kelly was hired on Oct. 24, 2007 and came into the position discussing the “exciting and prosperous” new era of the NHL and the NHL Players Association as the organization’s fourth Executive Director. Kelly was a very successful trial lawyer in Massachusetts and spearheaded the five-year trial and prosecution of former NHLPA Executive Director Alan Eagleson on racketeering and fraud charges.

That role raised Kelly ‘s stature within the NHLPA’s decision-making body, and ushered in the Boston native to replace former Executive Director Ted Saskin when he was ousted in 2007.

Sharks free up cap space for Phil Kessel? 08.28.09 at 3:36 pm ET
By   |  24 Comments
The San Jose Sharks have freed up $4.6 million in salary cap space, and could be on the hunt for a young sniper

The San Jose Sharks have freed up $4.6 million in salary cap space, and could be on the hunt for a young sniper

Interesting roster movements made on Friday afternoon by the San Jose Sharks, who have been rumored to be in the Dany Heatley derby this summer while looking to peddle Patrick Marleau after another underachieving postseason. Sharks GM Ron Wilson dealt away a pair of middle-class hockey players to the Vancouver Canucks for two young skaters, and freed up roughly $4.65 million in salary cap space for the upcoming season in the process.

Defenseman/power play specialist Christian Ehrhoff has two years left on his contract at $3.1 million per year and forward Brad Lukowich has a $1.567 million cap hit in his final season before unrestricted free agency, and the two players San Jose got in return (University of Minnesota forward Patrick White and AHL player Daniel Rahimi) aren’t expected to be big role players for the upcoming season.

So the Sharks freed up $4.667 in salary cap space while heading into the last few weeks of the off-season, and require at least two more forward spots to round up their NHL roster among the top 12-forwards for next season. It doesn’t take a noted puckologist to assume that Dany Heatley and Phil Kessel are two of the best skill forwards still hanging out there in hockey limbo, and the Sharks have been rumored to be in the Kessel run at several different points over the last few months.

“This trade speaks to the confidence we have in the young players coming up through our system who have earned the right to compete for a spot on this team,” said Sharks GM Doug Wilson in discussing the deal. “It also creates some flexibility in our team payroll for potential future transactions as the season progresses and adds two more talented players to our reserve list that can help this organization in the future.”

The $4.667 million in payroll flexibility also fits in roughly with what Kessel was expected to be looking for in a multi-year deal this summer while rehabbing right shoulder surgery. That figure is far from the $5 million per year Jeff Carter-type money that some assumed Kessel and agent Wade Arnott were chasing after, and is pretty close to what Kessel comparables like David Booth and Alexander Semin are currently making in terms of player salary.

 The 21-year-old sniper is expected to miss all of October while recovering fully from the rotator cuff/labrum surgery, and will be hard-pressed to match his 36-goal output from last season given the injury situation. During his recent participation in the Team USA Orientation Camp, Kessel indicated that he’d like something in the neighborhood of a three-year deal and expected that his deal would be done by the beginning of the NHL season on Oct. 1. Adding to the intrigue is that Kessel’s name doesn’t appear on a quick afternoon perusal of the team’s roster on www.bostonbruins.com, though that doesn’t mean anything definitively (Kessel was added back to the online roster by the early morning hours of Saturday).

Arnott told WEEI.com in an interview earlier this summer that Kessel was willing to be “creative” in terms of contract discussions, and that his client had directed him to get a deal done with the Bruins before entertaining offers from other teams.

The $4.65 million is probably right around where Kessel expected his payday to be at the beginning of this summer, as his numbers and service time are pretty much right in lock-step with Florida Panthers forwar David Booth. Booth signed a six-year, $25.5 million contract this summer amid the current hockey economy that’s going to pay him $4.25 million annually for the next six seasons.

The chances of Kessel getting awarded that kind of salary from the Bruins are “slim and none” as long as fellow teams avoid the option of signing the talented young restricted free agent to an offer sheet — but perhaps that’s about to change with the Sharks payroll shed on Friday afternoon. Wilson told reporters that the money was freed up to make moves ”as the season progresses”, but it remains to be seen whether that means a new home for Kessel riding shotgun with Jumbo Joe Thornton.

Read More: Doug Wilson, Peter Chiarelli, Phil Kessel,
Bruins announce rookie training camp roster 08.26.09 at 10:44 am ET
By   |  2 Comments

With the Boston Bruins gearing up for rookie and veteran training camp next month in September, the B’s finally announced the roster of rookie players set to report to Kitchener, Ontario for rookie training camp beginning on Sept. 5. The rookie roster is comprised of 24 players that will take part in the mini-training camp from Sept. 5-10 and play three preseason games against the Toronto Maple Leafs (Sept. 7), Ottawa Senators (Sept. 9) and the Pittsburgh Penguins (Sept. 10).

Veteran training camp — which will include a handful of Providence Bruins players like Brad Marchand and Mikko Lehtonen expected to know on the door this year – is expected to begin on Sept. 12 with all players reporting for measurements and testing, but 21-year-old sniper Phil Kessel remains unsigned and appears to be a good bet to hold out at the beginning of training camp.

2009 First round pick Jordan Caron will not be participating in the rookie training camp camp after fracturing his collar bone during Team Canada World Junior tryouts this summer, but center 2007 First round pick Zach Hamill as well as 2009 draftees Ryan Button, Lane MacDermid and Tyler Randell are all slated to be among the 24 rookies on hand.

Other recent draft selections making the trip to Kitchener include: Max Sauve (2008, second round), Mike Hutchinson (2008, third round), Jamie Arniel (2008, fourth round), Alain Goulet (2007, sixth round), Jordan Knackstedt (2007, seventh round) and Levi Nelson (2006, sixth round).

Rounding out the travel roster are players acquired through trades or free agency Jeff LoVecchio, Matt Marquardt, Rob Kwiet, Scott Fletcher, Matt Dalton and Adam Courchaine and rookie camp invitees Chris DeSousa, Saugus native and BU alum Jason Lawrence, Taylor MacDougall, Jason Wilson, Mark Isherwood, Peter Stevens, Marc Zanetti and Brad Good.

Here’s the full 2009 BRUINS ROOKIE CAMP ROSTER:

Goaltenders (3): Adam Courchaine, Matt Dalton, Mike Hutchinson

Defensemen (7): Ryan Button, Scott Fletcher, Brad Good, Alain Goulet, Mark Isherwood, Rob Kwiet, Marc Zanetti

Forwards (14): Jamie Arniel, Chris DeSousa, Zach Hamill, Jordan Knackstedt, Jason Lawrence, Lane MacDermid, Taylor MacDougall, Matt Marquardt, Jeff LoVecchio, Levi Nelson, Tyler Randell, Max Sauve, Peter Stevens, Jason Wilson

Will not participate due to injury (1): Jordan Caron

Read More: Jordan Caron, Peter Chiarelli, Zach Hamill,
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines