Big Bad Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Seguin: Boston ‘is a hockey town’ 06.25.10 at 8:37 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  6 Comments

LOS ANGELES — There is little doubt Tyler Seguin is excited about wearing the Black and Gold and the possibility of immediately playing in the NHL next season.

Minutes after being selected by the Bruins with the second pick in the NHL draft Seguin soaked in the moment and acknowledged his goal is to make the team this season.

‘€œIt feels amazing, I can’€™t really describe it,’€ said Sequin, a native of Brampton, Ontario who netted 48 goals while adding 58 assists playing junior hockey for the Plymouth Whalers last season. ‘€œIt’€™s not winning the Stanley Cup but its one of the best feelings I’€™ve had so far in my life.’€

With the highly anticipated draft process complete and his future team set, Seguin is ready to concentrate fully on his training regime.

‘€œIt definitely feels great just to be able to sit back and look down at my (Bruins) jersey’€ said Seguin. ‘€œI’€™ll try to have a fantastic off season so I’€™ll be able to earn a spot next year.

‘€œThe whole journey and this last week in LA has been a phenomenal experience,’€ he added. ‘€œRight now my main focus is to have an incredible offseason, put on some weight and keep improving in areas I need to.’€

Although he is generally considered a center, Seguin can also play the wing.

‘€œHe’€™s a highly skilled player,’€ said Bruins coach Claude Julien on the draft floor Friday. ‘€œWe know he can definitely bring some offense to our team.’€

Seguin has shown to be a quick study in breaking down opposition defenses, he also has gotten a quick sense of Boston and what playing in New England could bring.

‘€œFrom meeting with them and visiting Boston, you can just tell by the people that are there already that it’€™s just a phenomenal place to play,’€ said Seguin whose dad was a captain of the University of Vermont hockey team.’€

“There is so much history there with the Bruins, and the fan base and atmosphere. It’€™s a hockey town.’€

Read More: 2010 NHL Draft, Tyler Seguin,
Report: Oilers tried for deal with Bruins 06.25.10 at 7:55 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  Comments Off

According to a tweet from ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, Oilers general manager “tried until [the] last possible second” to acquire the second overall pick from the Bruins before Peter Chiarelli eventually chose Tyler Seguin. There had been rumors leading up until the draft that the two teams could work out a deal that would secure the Bruins their preferred player, but Chiarelli had stressed prior to the draft that he would not make a deal that involved trading out of the top two picks.

Read More: 2010 NHL Draft,
Bruins land Tyler Seguin 06.25.10 at 7:26 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  3 Comments

LOS ANGELES — In a predictable move following Edmonton’s selection of Taylor Hall, the Bruins chose Plymouth Whalers center Tyler Seguin with the second overall pick in the NHL draft, a choice they received from the Maple Leafs in exchange for Phil Kessel.

Seguin was ranked as the top overall player in the draft by NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau but, by many accounts may have been a victim of playing for a bad team. While Hall made headlines the past two postseasons, Seguin’s Whalers never made it to the Memorial Cup in his two years in Plymouth.

A common player comparison for Seguin has been Red Wings Hall of Fame center Steve Yzerman. A 6-foot-1, 172-pound right-handed shot, Seguin is considered an elite goal-scorer and playmaker. He is known more for a finesse game than a hard-nosed style. Seguin’s father played college hockey at the University of Vermont in the 1980′s.

After compiling 67 points in his first season with the Whalers, Seguin scored 63 goals and added 58 assists for 106 points. He was awarded the Red Tilson trophy for most outstanding player in the OHL.

There had been talk that the Bruins and Oilers could have worked out a deal in order to secure whichever player the Bruins preferred. While the Bruins would never admit to preferring Hall even if they did, no deal was made.

Read More: 2010 NHL Draft, Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin,
Oilers take Hall first 06.25.10 at 7:18 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  2 Comments

LOS ANGELES — The Edmonton Oilers have selected Windsor Spitfires left wing Taylor Hall with the first overall pick in the NHL draft, clearing the way for the Bruins to take Plymouth Whalers center Tyler Seguin second overall.

Hall, 18, was ranked second behind Seguin by the NHL’s Central Scouting Bureau but had a better OHL resume, having played in the league for three seasons to Seguin’s two. In 57 games for the Spitfires this past season, Hall scored 40 goals and 66 assists for 106 points, which tied him with Seguin for the lead league in points.

Many point to the postseason as a big reason Hall was able to leapfrog Seguin on the Oilers’ draft board. In 19 games, Hall racked up 17 goals and 18 assists for 35 points. In addition to sweeping Seguin’s Whalers in the playoffs, Hall earned his second consecutive Memorial Cup MVP award by leading the Spitfires to a title. Hall also racked up 12 points (6 G, 6 A) in six games for Team Canada in the World Junior Championship.

Gagne for Thomas? ‘No.’ 06.25.10 at 4:32 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  5 Comments

Amidst rumors that the Flyers are looking to shed payroll in order to take on Tim Thomas‘ contract, a source close to the situation is saying talk that Simon Gagne could be swapped to the Bruins for the goaltender is bogus.

“This is not an accurate rumor at all,” the source said.

Salary-wise, it makes sense, as Gagne will carry a $5.25 million cap hit next season, the final year of his deal, while Thomas has three years remaining at $5 million per season. On the ice, however, such a move could upset Flyers fans. Gagne can be counted on for 30 goals a season and is just 30 years old, while Thomas, 36, lost his starting job last season to Tuukka Rask.

The left-winger made a major impression on the Bruins in the postseason this past postseason, scoring in overtime in Game 4, adding two goals in Game 5, and slipping the series-winning goal past Rask in the third period of Game 7.

Gagne was hampered by groin injuries throughout the season and was limited to 58 games. He scored 17 goals and had 23 assists for 40 points after having 34-40-74 totals a year prior.

Read More: Simon Gagne, Tim Thomas,
Report: Tampa can’t afford Thomas 06.25.10 at 2:56 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  1 Comment

Tim Thomas, who has been given permission by the Bruins to talk with other teams about a trade, may not be a fit for one of his most logical suitors. According to ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, a Tampa Bay source does not believe the Lightning could add Thomas’ $5 million salary for the next three seasons without shedding payroll. LeBrun says in a tweet that a move to the Lightning “doesn’t look like a fit right now.”

The Sharks and Flyers have also been rumored as potential suitors for Thomas. Tampa Bay has over $23 million in cap space, but only 13 players under contract at the NHL level.

Read More: Tim Thomas,
Proposed blindside hit ban goes through 06.25.10 at 2:46 pm ET
By   |  Filed under General  |  Comments Off

Anyone upset with the way the whole Marc Savard/Matt Cooke/Colin Campbell situation was handled last season can rest easy, as the NHL Board of Governors approved a ban on blindside blows to the head. Players who commit lateral blindside hits, such as Cooke’s March 7 hit on Savard, now can be given a five-minute major and a game misconduct. If a player racks up two game misconducts for blindside hits to the head, he will automatically be suspended for the next game.

The proposed rule change had been drawn up last week by the NHL’s competition committee. Campbell, the senior vice president and director of hockey operations, fell under heavy criticism in March when he decreed that Cooke had technically not done anything on the hit of Savard to warrant a suspension. Later that month, the general managers called for a revised rule, which now has been passed.

The actual language of the rule outlaws “lateral or blindside hits to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principle point of contact.”

Though stricter punishment is now in place, Bruins president Cam Neely is still hesitant to treat the problem as being solved.

‘€œThe one concern that I have is that it’€™s still going to be a tough rule to call,’€ Neely told WEEI.com’s Graig Woodburn on Thursday. ‘€œI don’€™t know if you’€™re going to get everyone happy. That’€™s the problem.’€

Neely, whose playing career was cut short due to injury, can appreciate that though players may still be at risk, the initiative taken to cut down on risk is a step in the right direction.

‘€œI think it’€™s going to be tough for the referee in that split second to really judge the call. Like all new rules, there’€™s going to be some questions,’€ he said. ‘€œAt least there is an attempt to get [hits to the head] out of the game.”

Read More: Cam Neely, Marc Savard, Matt Cooke,
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines