|Serving his team and country||12.11.09 at 1:23 am ET|
Mark Stuart was a very proud man on Thursday night.
Just before face-off, the Bruins defenseman had the privilege of accepting a Bruins flag that flew in Iraq with the U.S. Army Rangers.
He took a slap shot from the top of the slot that beat Toronto goalie Vesa Toskala between the pads for his second goal of the season, giving the Bruins a 1-0 lead.
The he got into a shoving match two minutes into the second period with Jamal Mayers. As they came out of their respective penalty boxes, the two decided to come out swinging this time, both earning five minute majors.
The only thing missing from Mark Stuart’s night to remember was an assist. That would have given him the so-called Gordie Howe hat trick – A goal, an assist and a fight. Still, Stuart was clearly the most important player on the ice on Thursday during Boston’s 5-2 win over the Leafs at TD Garden.
Afterward, he shared his thoughts on the special night.
|Ice rink at Fenway||12.10.09 at 12:26 pm ET|
The NHL has distributed an architectural rendering of the ice rink that will soon be constructed at Fenway for the Winter Classic on New Year’s Day.
|Jacobs family to donate Winter Classic tickets||12.09.09 at 9:23 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Thursday that owner Jeremy Jacobs, principal Charlie Jacobs and the Jacobs family, will purchase and donate 200 tickets to the Bridgestone Winter Classic to ten youth hockey teams throughout New England. Each team will represent a different state in New England. Bruins players and alumni will personally deliver the tickets to the teams.
|NHL Power Rankings — 12/9||12.09.09 at 7:08 am ET|
Things are starting to settle in among the top five and bottom five teams, but there’s plenty of movement among the remaining 20 teams in the WEEI NHL Power Rankings.
2. (6) 19-5-6 Caps win six straight. Top power play in league. Catalyst defenseman Mike Green‘s goal total (5) is down, but his plus-minus is up (plus-11). Still not sold.
3. (2) 18-7-3 Questioning the Blackhawks’ decision to ink defenseman Duncan Keith to a 13-year contract extension? Aside from leading the team in ice time, he’s their second-leading scorer. More points than Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp and Brian Campbell. Can you say, team MVP?
7. (2) 18-8-3 After a setback in LA Monday, the Flames still are 6-3-1 in last 10. After being named NHL first star for netting 13 goals in November, Jarome Iginla has yet to score in December.
10. (7) 16-9-2 The Sabres are settling in for a long fight with the B’s for the division lead. But scoring is an issue, and leading goal-scorer Thomas Vanek has just one tally in last seven games.
|Wideman, Morris absent from practice again||12.08.09 at 2:07 pm ET|
The Bruins practiced without defenseman Dennis Wideman and Derek Morris again Tuesday. The two were given maintenance days off Monday and apparently needed further time off today. Wideman suffered an “upper body” injury in Saturday’s 7-2 win over Toronto. He did skate with strength and conditioning coach John Whitesides after the regular practice Tuesday. Coach Claude Julien told reporters he expects Morris to practice Wednesday.
|Wideman, Morris not at B’s practice||12.07.09 at 12:45 pm ET|
After taking a commanding 7-2 victory over Phil Kessel and the Toronto Maple Leafs Saturday, the Bruins got back to work this morning. Defenseman Dennis Wideman and Derek Morris were both given “maintenance” days and did not skate. Wideman left Saturday’s game with an “upper body” injury and his status for Thursday remains unclear. “There’s no update, we don’t play again until Thursday, if you were going to ask me – is he in – I think so,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien after practice Monday. “I can’t say he is in for sure.”
|Phil Kessel Talks after 7-2 loss to Bruins||12.06.09 at 3:32 am ET|
Phil Kessel says he didn’t play well and it was one of his worst games in a while after losing 7-2 to his former team.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5