|Alain Vigneault compares Matt Beleskey’s hit on Derek Stepan to Aaron Rome’s hit on Nathan Horton||11.27.15 at 4:58 pm ET|
Matt Beleskey’s hit on Derek Stepan Friday did two things: It broke Stepan’s ribs and led to a whole lot of reaction. It did not, however, receive punishment.
Beleskey threw Stepan into the boards on a slightly late hit that deserved a boarding penalty but did not receive one. Rangers defenseman Dylan McIlrath responded by promptly pummeling Beleskey in a fight that earned McIlrath an instigator penalty.
Amidst all the postgame chatter of whether the hit deserved more punishment than just Beleskey getting punched a bunch, Beleskey insisted that the reason the play went awry was because Stepan did not brace himself to be hit.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault, better known around these parts as Vancouver’s head coach when the Bruins beat the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final, put a different spin on it.
“In our opinion it was a late hit,” Vigneault said. “It was more than a second and he was a couple of feet away from the boards, so we’ll have to wait and see. I remember Aaron Rome in this building, .06 seconds late and getting suspended four games in the Stanley Cup finals, so it’ll be interesting to see.”
That’s a really — let’s call it “ambitious” — comparison to make considering one play was a guy shoving another into the boards while the other was a player going after a guy’s head for no apparent reason (so on second thought, let’s just call it a dumb comparison to make). Other than both plays being illegal (seemingly, at least, given that Beleskey wasn’t penalized), the plays don’t have much in common.
Here’s Beleskey’s hit on Stepan. pic.twitter.com/pyzRJA4EE6
‘ Sportsnet (@Sportsnet) November 27, 2015
“I just think he didn’t think I was going to hit him,” Beleskey said after the game. “He kind of didn’t brace himself. I didn’t take any extra strides or anything like that. Maybe, maybe a little bit late, but he saw me coming. I came from the front. It’s unfortunate that I think I just saw he’s injured, so hopefully he’s all right.”
|Peter Chiarelli: Post-concussion symptoms accompanied progress with Nathan Horton||04.11.12 at 12:53 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli met with the media towards the end of Wednesday’s practice to discuss the team’s decision to shut Nathan Horton down for the playoffs.
Horton, who suffered his concussion on a Jan. 22 hit from Flyers forward Tom Sestito, was having a rough time in his recovery. He tried skating days after the concussion, but was shut down after suffering a setback. Horton returned to the ice last week, but he continued to feel post-concussion symptoms and the B’s didn’t want him to put pressure on himself to rush back.
“We felt it just wasn’t in the long-term interest of Nathan to be having the specter hanging over him of trying to come back during this playoff season,” Chiarelli said. “He’s made one step forward, and then two steps back and we just made the determination, upon consultation with our doctors, with Nathan, that it would be prudent to shut him down for the playoffs and continue to rehab for next year.”
The one step forward/two steps back is what made the decision clear for the Bruins.
“He’d be improving and then he’d have some symptoms,” Chiarelli said. “They weren’t huge symptoms, but they’d always come up at some point after three, four, five or six days of positive stuff.
“It was a frustrating exercise for Nathan, it was a frustrating exercise for us because we’ve been through this rehab before with players and I’ve seen all kinds of rehab patterns now because usually you can see when the player has color, and when he’s animated, you think he’s turned the corner and then they have a bout of post-concussion symptoms and they manifest themselves in different ways. With Nathan, sometimes it’d be just a fogginess, sometimes he wouldn’t feel right and sometimes there’d be a big headache. But it was always after three, four or five days of positive progress.”
Chiarelli added that Horton, who had 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points in 46 games this season, was “relieved” when the decision was finally made to shut him down. The GM said Horton will rehab in off-hours and “might take a couple weeks off.”
“I think with Nathan, he gets within the group and he looks back at his contributions this past year and last playoffs and he starts getting anxious and that probably compounds it, too,” Chiarelli said. “I think he felt a sense of relief, and again talking to Nathan over the course of the last couple of weeks, he doesn’t look bad ‘ he looks good actually. But he gets these bouts ‘ the fogginess doesn’t feel right and you have to be very careful.”
Chiarelli was asked whether he is confident that Horton will be ready for next season, but as the B’s have learned in the past, you never know with concussions.
“Yeah, I am but who knows? Who knows?” he said while shrugging. “IGoing into two weeks ago you had asked me [about[ him playing this playoffs, I [would say], ‘You know, there’s a chance.’ And then he had a couple of setbacks and then you have to take a step back and kind of look at the whole thing and that’s what we did.”
One thing that Chiarelli was adamant about was whether this concussion, which was initially termed “mild,” had anything to do with the concussion he suffered less than seven months earlier on a hit from Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.
“Totally unconnected, totally unconnected and the symptoms were completely different,” Chiarelli said. ‘¦ “It was clear to me it was totally unconnected to the first concussion.”
|Nathan Horton: Canucks rematch ‘just another game’||01.05.12 at 10:21 pm ET|
Nathan Horton had a rare session with reporters following Thursday’s 9-0 blowout win over the Flames. The forward, who had two goals in the win, was asked his thoughts about Saturday’s meeting with the Canucks.
The game figures to be an emotional one, perhaps even more so for Horton. The power forward was blindsided by Vancouver defenseman Aaron Rome in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals, giving him a concussion and knocking him out for the rest of the finals.
“I think everyone’s just thinking it’s another game, but we did play them in the finals,” Horton said. “They’re still a good team, and we’re still a good team, and it’s going to be a good game. I’m not really thinking too much about what happened, but just getting excited for the game.”
Rome will not be in the lineup for the Canucks, as he is out with a hand injury.
After Thursday’s three-point performance, Horton has 12 goals and 14 assists this season for 26 points.
|Did Nathan Horton’s separated shoulder limit him more than concussion?||09.12.11 at 12:02 pm ET|
BOLTON — One of the more interesting tidbits to emerge from Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli in the days following the Bruins’ Stanley Cup championship was that Nathan Horton, who was shut down after his Game 3 concussion, had also been playing the latter part of the postseason with a separated shoulder.
On Monday, Horton talked about the shoulder for the first time of the preseason, saying that his recovery from the injury was just as big a deal as that of his concussion.
“It definitely was my shoulder too, as well as my concussion,” Horton said. “Now I feel good, I feel a lot better than I did. ‘¦ We still have another month before the season starts, so I’ll be ready to go.”
Horton added that when he had to take a little longer before beginning workouts, it was because of the shoulder.
“I think so,” Horton said when asked whether the shoulder limited him more in the offseason than the concussion. “For a little bit there, for sure, I could have started a little bit earlier, but I took some time off. I guess that’s what happens during the playoffs, right? The season’s so long. Everyone battled through a lot of different injuries. I guess that’s what it’s all about. You want to do that, you want to be able to battle through. In the end, that’s all that matters. We won the Stanley Cup because of people battling through injuries.”
Horton suffered the injury in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, but it certainly wasn’t the notable thing he did in the Bruins’ 1-0. Horton scored the lone goal of the game, taking a pass from David Krejci and tipping it past Dwayne Roloson in the third period to send the B’s to the Stanley Cup finals. After a hit from Canucks’ defenseman Aaron Rome ended his postseason, he was able to remain around the team to celebrate the team’s championship.
|Nathan Horton on health, Aaron Rome’s lack of respect and being a champion||08.24.11 at 9:18 pm ET|
LOWELL — While Milan Lucic’s Rock and Jock softball game at LeLacheur Park in Lowell drew a big crowd for both the cause and the players participating, there was no player who drew a bigger media scrum than fellow first-liner Nathan Horton. Making his first public appearance around these parts since breakup day back in June, Horton shared that he is completely ready to go after recovering from a concussion and a separated shoulder. Here are some highlights of what he had to say.
On how he’s feeling:
“I feel pretty good. I don’t have any headaches. I feel back to normal, and I’m excited to finally start playing again.”
On whether he’ll be ready for training camp in September:
“Yeah, I’ll definitely be ready. I’d be ready right now if we started.”
On whether he’s heard from Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome:
“Just through a text message I heard [from him], but I mean, if it was me, I wouldn’t be throwing a text message someone’s way, you know? I’d have a little more respect to actually make a phone call.”
On hits like the one he took in Game 3 of the Cup finals:
“There’s guys that hit out there and they hit lots, they hit hard, they hurt people and I think that they do it within the game. You just know, and I think you just have that respect factor to know when to hit people. The people that don’t understand that or don’t get it, I think that’s what you need to fix and what you need to change. There’s a difference between hitting hard and hitting dirty. That’s definitely something that shouldn’t be in the game.”
On winning the Cup:
“Even though I didn’t play in the the end, it was a lot of fun to be there and to see my teammates and just celebrate with them. It was such an amazing feeling. Like everyone says, you dream of it as a kid, and it’s just pretty special and something that a lot of people don’t get to do in their life.”
On his reaction to learning that the Stanley Cup did not arrive in Buffalo when he went to pick it up:
“Well I went to the airport to pick it up, and it just didn’t come on the plane. I had to go back for the parade, and I was late for the parade, and it was really hot that day, so I felt extra bad. I was speeding on my way home to get back, because I was late. But like I said, once I got back, everyone was awesome and it didn’t matter that I didn’t have the Cup, but luckily it did come so everyone got to see it and take pictures with it.”
On where he is in his offseason:
“I’m working out, and kind of back into my routine and just getting ready.”
On being defending champions:
“I think that’s what we want, that’s why we’re here, and it’s definitely going to be tough that we’re on top right now and it’s tough to stay there. I think very one knows that, and everyone’s prepared to play well like we did.”
|Michael Ryder: We will do ‘everything’ to win it for Nathan Horton||06.14.11 at 1:24 am ET|
The singular turning point of the series has also turned into a rally cry for the Bruins, as Michael Ryder acknowledged after scoring a goal in Boston’s 5-2 win over Vancouver in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup finals Monday night at TD Garden.
With the crowd already in a frenzy following two quick goals to start the game, the video board at the Garden showed Nathan Horton in the zamboni area waving a Bruins black and gold hanky. Horton was shown live for the first time since being knocked to the ice with a severe concussion exactly one week ago on hit by Canucks defenseman Aaron Rome in Game 3. He has been ruled out of the playoffs.
“Horty’s a big part of this team and he’s one of the reasons we’re where we are,” Ryder said. “He’s a great guy and it’s good to see him a lot better and we know he’s excited and he wants us to win. We have to make sure we do everything we can to pull it off for him.”
“We didn’t know that they were going to be doing that and showing him up there,” added Bruins forward Brad Marchand. “You know for him to come in and give us that boost of energy is unbelievable. And obviously the crowd loves it and loves him and are supporting him every minute of the day. It was great to see him out there. He gave us a big energy boost.
Two and a half minutes later, Andrew Ference fired a slap shot past Roberto Luongo on the power play for Boston’s third goal and pandemonium ensued with the Bruins up, 3-0, and Luongo chased to the bench.
|Green Men’s Sully on D&C: ‘We took a couple of threats’ during Game 3||06.08.11 at 10:02 am ET|
The Green Man who goes by the moniker Sully checked in with the Dennis & Callahan show Wednesday morning to discuss his experiences with Bruins fans at TD Garden in Game 3 Monday night. To hear the interview, go to the Dennis & Callahan audio on demand page.
Sully and his compatriot Force were up all night after going to Yankee Stadium to cheer on the Red Sox Tuesday night. The duo did not don their Green Men bodysuits in New York, taking a day off after the intensity of Monday night.
Despite having a few run-ins, Sully said he’s been pleased with Boston fans. “It was kind of a mixed bag [Monday],” he said. “I’d say about 90 percent of the people were just awesome and really took to us. The other 10 percent were kind of the guys that had a couple too many beverages and were not too cool with it.
“Probably the most unfortunate part was, right after the Aaron Rome hit, we took a couple of threats from a couple of rows down. And there was a family right in front of us. The dad was covering the kids’ ears. I felt really bad about that.”
Sully admitted that it probably was better for the Green Men’s well-being that the Bruins won the game after the violent hit that knocked out Nathan Horton. “That just turned up the loyalty even more with these fans,” he said. “And obviously turned them against us even more, it seems. So, I don’t think the Green Men could have won at all [Monday] night, whether the Canucks won or the Bruins won.”