|Bruins assign Dougie Hamilton to OHL, Jordan Caron among players headed to AHL||09.14.12 at 5:36 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Friday that they have sent 23 players to Providence, a list that is led by winger Jordan Caron. In addition to announcing the players assigned to Providence, the team also assigned defenseman Dougie Hamilton and goalie Malcolm Subban to their OHL teams.
While the transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL has expired, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said last week that he believes teams would be able to have junior-eligible players start a locked out season in junior and then come to the NHL when a new collective bargaining agreement is in place. The team intends to do that with Hamilton, who had 72 points in 50 regular-season games last season.
With the Bruins’ rookie camp cancelled and the NHL picture unclear, Hamilton joined up with his former-turned-current team this month, IceDogs coach Marty Williamson told WEEI.com Friday.
“He’s been practicing with us for the last two weeks almost,” Williamson said following the announcement. “He’s been here practicing but hasn’t played any exhibition games. Now that they’ve made the announcement, he’ll start Thursday with us and play his first game.”
The following players were sent to Providence: Matt Bartkowski, Ryan Button, Carter Camper, Jordan Caron, Colby Cohen, Tommy Cross, Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Michael Hutchinson, Jared Knight, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, Adam Morrison, Tyler Randell, Max Sauve, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Svedberg, Zach Trotman and David Warsofsky. Veterans Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif and Trent Whitfield will also report to Providence after clearing waivers.
One notable absence from that list is forward Tyler Seguin. The 20-year-old has played in 175 NHL games (including playoffs) and is thus not exempt from the waiver process in order to send him to the AHL. However, it is Seguin’s understanding that there is a scenario in which he could play in the AHL this season.
|New CHL/NHL transfer agreement could allow Dougie Hamilton to play in OHL and NHL||09.07.12 at 3:42 pm ET|
While the Bruins announced some bad news regarding a potential lockout Friday by canceling their rookie camp, they have gotten some good news when it comes to having their top prospect in the 2012-13 season.
General manager Peter Chiarelli said that the NHL and CHL are in talks regarding a new transfer agreement that would allow players to start a locked out season with their junior clubs and then go to the NHL mid-season if there is to be a season. Chiarelli said he is unsure of how many players the B’s would be able to take back, but he said defenseman Dougie Hamilton would be their priority.
Because there had been no precedent set in the previous lockout (the season was cancelled rather than starting late), teams and players were unsure as to whether junior-eligible players (under 20 years old; Hamilton is 19) could start the season with their junior teams and then jump to the NHL. It appears now that they most likely will be able to, though it is not yet official and just how many players can do so remains unknown.
“We’re told they’re working on an agreement, and we’re told that there will be the ability to take players, in the event of a work stoppage, and it cutting into the CHL [Canadian Hockey League] season,” Chiarelli said. “There will be some type of ability to take players from their respective CHL teams. So, I’m hoping that that will be finalized, but at the very least I’m told that it’s expected to happen in the agreement. So, I mean, to the extent – I don’t know how many we can take, and I know that they haven’t done the agreement yet, but they’re working on it. So yes, if we can take one, I can tell you that [Hamilton] will be the one.”
|What the NHL CBA situation means for junior-eligible players||08.20.12 at 2:22 pm ET|
Here’s a minor detail that should get some more attention if the league and NHLPA don’t agree on a new CBA by Sept. 15: What happens to the younger players with junior eligibility?
The current agreement between the NHL and CHL states that players under the age of 20 that don’t make the NHL after the first nine games of the season have to be returned to their junior clubs (in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL) for the rest of the season. Those players are not eligible to play in the AHL.
Because the 2004-05 season was cancelled entirely and the following season started on time, there was no precedent set during the last lockout for NHL-ready players starting the season with their junior clubs and then going to the NHL when the season started. There isn’t a rule in place to cover such a scenario, so an amendment to the NHL and CHL’s transfer agreement — which recently expired, making this all the more confusing — would be required.
Per a league source, teams are still waiting to be advised on which players will be allowed to play in the AHL should there be a lockout. The source assumed that the potential amendment of CHL/NHL eligibility would also be discussed at that time.
In the 2004-05 season, all NHL players (meaning players who had played in the NHL, not NHL-ready prospects) under the age of 22 were allowed to play in the AHL. Patrice Bergeron — who had played the previous season in Boston — was among them, and in this case a player like Tyler Seguin would be allowed to play in the AHL since he is 20 years old.
The question for the Bruins, as touched upon in Sunday’s column, is what would happen with 19-year-old Dougie Hamilton. He’s expected to make the Bruins out of training camp this season, but if he starts the season in the OHL with the Niagara IceDogs, the NHL and CHL would need to amend the transfer agreement to allow players in his situation to go to the NHL. It would be hard to imagine the CHL drawing a hard line and not allowing players to leave, as their relationship with the NHL has prevented them from losing young stars (such as a Hamilton last year) to the AHL during normal seasons.
|Malcolm Subban, Dougie Hamilton lead Canadian Junior team past Russia||08.09.12 at 4:57 pm ET|
A pair of Bruins prospects stole the show in the first game of the four-game Canada-Russian challenge Thursday as Canada beat Russia, 3-2, in Yaroslavl.
Malcolm Subban, Boston’s first-round pick (24th overall) in June’s draft, was named Canada’s player of the game as he stopped 19 of 21 shots, 11 of which came in the third period. One of the two goals he yielded was to Nail Yakupov, the first overall pick by the Oilers.
Subban wasn’t the only Boston prospect to come up big for Canada, as defenseman Dougie Hamilton scored an unassisted power play goal in the second period that proved to be the game-winner. The two countries will play again Friday before the series concludes with a pair of games Monday and Tuesday in Halifax.
There was a moment of silence prior to the game to remember the members of KHL team Lokomotiv Yaroslavl who lost their lives in last year’s plane crash. Among the victims were former NHLers Ruslan Salei, KÃrlis SkrastiÃ Ã ¡, Pavol Demitra and Igor Korolev.
|A national view of Bruins prospects||07.23.12 at 9:57 am ET|
ESPN released its organizational prospect rankings last week (ESPN Insider account required), with the Panthers and revamped Wild taking the No. 1 and 2 spots, respectively. The Bruins were ranked eighth (they were 14th last year), and having an elite NHL-ready blueliner like Dougie Hamilton certainly had a lot to do with that.
Writes Grant Sonier:
The 2012 draft did not yield much for the Bruins, other than highly touted, athletic goaltender Malcolm Subban (Belleville-OHL). Previous drafts, however, should have B’s fans excited as one of their top prospects has really matured well. D-man Dougie Hamilton (Niagara-OHL) will have a chance to play big minutes and should turn heads in camp this fall. Forward depth is among Boston’s assets in the form of Jared Knight (London-OHL), Alexander Khokhlachev (Windsor-OHL) and Ryan Spooner (Sarnia-OHL).
Sleeper Prospect: Tyler Randell, RW, (Kitchener-OHL/Providence-AHL) (sixth round/2009) I like his combination of size, grit and skill. His skating is on the upward swing and he shows potential.
To clarify, Kohkhlachev will play next season in the KHL, not OHL, and we’ll add another potential sleeper in 2011 third-round pick Anthony Camara. The Barrie Colts forward is tough as nails and has added some offense to his game over the last season, scoring 16 goals in 2011-12 after totaling eight in his draft year.
For a sense of where the Northeast Division stands, the Canadiens were ranked third, the Sabres were 12th, the Senators were 14th and the Maple Leafs were 22nd.
|Bruins add more defensive depth, sign Aaron Johnson||07.18.12 at 2:25 pm ET|
The Bruins have signed defenseman Aaron Johnson to a one-year, two-way contract.
Johnson, 29, played 56 games for the Blue Jackets last year, registering three goals and 16 assists for a career-best 19 points. He had a minus-12 rating.
Johnson has bounced around in the league since being drafted by Columbus in 2001, as he played in the Islanders, Blackhawks, Oilers, Predators and Flames organizations before returning to the Blue Jackets last season.
The former third-round pick played the entire 2010-11 season in the AHL for the Milwaukee Admirals, notching nine goals and 26 assists for 35 points and 70 penalty minutes. He had a plus-10 rating in the AHL in 2010-11.
The fact that the Bruins have now signed a few fringe-NHL blueliners in Johnson, Garnet Exelby and brought back Matt Bartkowski without signing any true top-6 defensemen suggests that the team is indeed expecting Dougie Hamilton to make the team next season. Any one of the aforementioned three signings could serve as a seventh defenseman at the NHL level.
|Ryan Spooner shines as Bruins prospects wrap up development camp||07.02.12 at 2:41 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — The Bruins’ sixth annual development camp is in the books, as the B’s prospects finished the six-day camp with a power skating session and a scrimmage Monday at Ristuccia Arena.
Forward Ryan Spooner was the star of the day, scoring two goals for the white team in the black and white scrimmage. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli called Spooner “one of the usual suspects” when it comes to players pushing for an NHL job this season along with fellow 2010 second-round pick Jared Knight and defenseman Dougie Hamilton. Both Knight and Spooner will head to the AHL if they don’t make the team out of camp, as they finished their junior careers last season in the OHL.
More to come from camp.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5