|Brad Marchand, Bruins extend charitable efforts to Boston Marathon bombing victims||04.17.13 at 4:10 pm ET|
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, TD Garden, the NHL and NHL Players’ Association announced have pledged to donate a combined $250,000 to the One Fund Boston, which raises money for the families of those affected by the Boston Marathon bombing.
Jacobs will donate $100,000, while the Garden, NHL and NHLPA will donate $50,000 each. In addition to those donations, Bruins players and staff have donated a combined 80 tickets to first responders who came through in Monday’s events.
“The efforts that have taken place from ownership, management, players and all our associates to put together the proper recognition at tonight’s game for those who responded, helped and comforted all those who have been affected by the tragic events this past Monday have been remarkable,” Bruins President Cam Neely said in a statement. “Every member of our organization has assisted in many different ways to make sure we make Boston proud, make our fans proud and show what it means to call Boston home. I am very proud of our entire organization for the compassion and support they have all showed, although not surprised. We are all ‘Boston Strong.’”
Additionally, Brad Marchand will raffle off his suite at the Garden for the Bruins’ first home playoff game, with all the proceeds going to the family of Martin Richard, the eight-year-old Dorchester native who was killed in the bombings.
“Our whole team saw the photos of Martin at our game from last Thursday and learned that he and his family are big fans of ours,” said Marchand. “This is just one small gesture which I hope can help the Richard family during this incredibly sad time for them. What they are going through is unimaginable and we will try to assist them in any way we can.”
Both the Bruins and Sabres will wear “Boston Strong” decals on their helmets Wednesday, with the Garden showing a “Boston Strong” video prior to the game. Fans in attendance are encouraged to sing along with Rene Rancourt during the National Anthem.
To donate to One Fund Boston, click here.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Jeremy Jacobs: Season should have started in October||01.19.13 at 6:43 pm ET|
Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs released the following statement prior to the start of Saturday night’s season-opener against the Rangers:
“Last week we announced that we reached an agreement on a new CBA and tonight the Bruins are back on the ice. When the puck drops, we put the last four months behind us and celebrate the return of hockey to Causeway Street. Like all of you I wanted nothing more than to have the season start on time in October. Make no mistake – it should have. The fact that we were unable to reach an agreement until just recently is a disappointment.
“I want to personally apologize to our fans and others who depend on this team for their livelihood. But these are just words. The best way to make it up to you is to play hard and win.
“I said last year after our playoff exit that the Stanley Cup is on loan. I really meant it. We have a strong team and one that I believe will be very competitive this season. I expect us to contend for the Cup. We have 48 games in 96 days before the playoffs.
“It’s no longer a marathon – it’s truly a sprint.
“But our advantage – and it’s a significant one – is that we know how to win. I remember asking our players a few years ago how many of them had won the Cup. Just a few of our players raised their hand. Before the start of the last season I asked the same question. Nearly everyone raised their hand.
“We want this for our team. We want this for our fans. We know what victory feels like and we want that feeling again. I can think of no better way to bring our team back together than to focus on our shared goal of winning another Stanley Cup for Boston, New England and Bruins fans around the world.”
|Ryan Miller denies heated exchange with Jeremy Jacobs||12.07.12 at 4:01 pm ET|
On Friday, Sabres goaltender Ryan Miller denied calling out Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs during this week’s collective bargaining agreement negotiations. It had been reported that Miller and Jacobs had gotten in a heated exchange on Wednesday, but Miller said he was simply asking the owners to not pull what they had discussed off the table.
Miller texted the following to The Buffalo News Friday:
“The owners wanted to leave the room and pull everything we spent a full day on. I asked them to stay and continue pushing through. I may have been passionate but there was no disrespect or calling out one owner by name. I have a lot of respect for any owner because they are a big part of hockey.
“I wanted more than anything to make a deal but we are not professional negotiators. We as players didn’t have the experience or authority to make a final deal. We were trying to responsibly move this process forward as best we could. If anyone thinks that we did wrong by the game or by the fans then they are misinformed. We have a responsibility to about 750 players and we made moves approved by them and thinking about them.”
|If NHLPA wanted a Bruin in the same room as Jeremy Jacobs this week, Shawn Thornton would have gone||at 3:39 pm ET|
When the owners and players set their “rosters,” so to speak, for the players/owners-only meetings this week in New York, the group of owners set to attend was a rather interesting one. Ron Burkle (Penguins), Mark Chipman (Jets), Jeff Vinik (Lightning) and Murray Edwards (Flames) — all of whom figured to have a stronger interest to get back on the ice than some of the hardliners — joined Jeremy Jacobs of the Bruins (perceived as a real hardliner’s hardline) and Larry Tanenbaum of the Maple Leafs.
Of the group of owners present, Jacobs was perceived as the toughest negotiator of the bunch, and one who’s been a bit of a target for frustrated fans and players alike. Also the chairman of the board of governors, Jacobs is viewed as a bottom-line guy, while the newcomers on the owners’ side likely encouraged players who wanted more amicable negotiations.
Shawn Thornton, who works for Jacobs, was not among the players present for the meetings, but it wasn’t because he would feel uncomfortable in the negotiating room with his boss.
Thornton said Thursday that he “definitely thought about going to New York” for the negotiations, but said previous engagements with the Boston Pops (Wednesday) and Kevin Youkilis‘ “Youk’s Kids” foundation (Thursday) prevented him from going.
However, Thornton said that if the NHLPA decided it would be best to have a Bruin in the room with Jacobs, he would do it.
“Yeah,” he said. “It’s a business, right? It’s a negation. I don’t think they take it personally, or they shouldn’t. I don’t think the players should either. If I got a text saying that it would have been important for me to be there, or for someone on our team to be there, I definitely would have made the effort and would maybe not be [working with the Pops and and attending the 'Youk's Kids' event]. But I talked to them about it and they feel like we had some pretty good representation there. If Sidney [Crobsy]‘s there, I don’t think they need me.”
Eighteen players ended up attending the meetings: Crosby, Craig Adams, David Backes, Michael Cammalleri, B.J. Crombeen, Mathieu Darche, Shane Doan, Ron Hainsey, Shawn Horcoff, Jamal Mayers, Manny Malhotra, Andy McDonald, Ryan Miller, George Parros, Brad Richards, Martin St. Louis, Jonathan Toews and Kevin Westgarth.
|Cam Neely discusses Bruins’ future at final press conference of 2011-12 season||05.03.12 at 5:17 pm ET|
Cam Neely, Jeremy Jacobs and Charlie Jacobs held a season-ending press conference Thursday to discuss the 2011-12 season and look ahead to the future.
The calling of the press conference Wednesday was somewhat surprising, but given that Neely hadn’t spoken at last Friday’s breakup day, it seemed appropriate for the team president to meet with the media one last time this season. The trio of Neely and the Jacobs covered a variety of topics Thursday, so here’s a recap of it all.
- One common theme throughout the players at breakup day was that they had trouble getting up for the playoffs after last June’s run to the Cup finals. While Neely recognized the fatigue factor, he still feels the team is too good to lose in the first round.
“It should be unacceptable,” Neely said. “With the players we have, the talent that we have, the coaching staff we have, you can’t be accept a first-round exit. I believe that we’re a franchise that’s beyond, ‘Let’s make the playoffs,’ that’s beyond, ‘Let’s have a good showing in the first round. I think we’re beyond that. Expectations are much higher now.”
Neely said that though players spoke of their difficulty getting mentally engaged in the postseason, the team as a whole appeared to share his frustration with the first-round exit.
“What I saw was guys that looked to be disappointed,” Neely said. “When you look at all the seven games of the whole and you say, ‘Geez, we probably should be moving on,’ I think they would all agree with that. I think if they really assessed our game and their individual play, they to a person probably feel like they could have played better or could have done a little bit more to get that extra goal or that extra win that we needed. ”
- Neely agreed with Peter Chiarelli‘s sentiment that no major shakeup is needed this offseason, but that some turnover should occur. He is hopeful that free agent Chris Kelly can return.
“I think just some tweaking,” he said of the roster. “Peter and I spoke a few days after the season ended. We’re going to have more discussions as the summer progresses here, but I like the makeup of our team, I like the character of our team. I think Peter’s done a really good job of signing players before they become free agents as best he can. I think we have guys that are still going to improve. We have a young team in that regards as far as the core goes and will improve. But we know we have some areas we will look to improve and we’ll have more discussions in the offseason on how we can go about doing that.”
- Neely said that he remains satisfied with the team’s goaltending situation of Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask. The latter is a restricted free agent, and Neely said that when Rask signs his new deal — which figures to see a pay raise — there will be enough room for both players financially and when it comes to playing time.
“Well financially it shouldn’t be an issue,” Neely said. “Playing-time-wise, it’s always been they’re battling it out and the coach will end up playing who he thinks is going to give the team the best shot to win.”
- Both Claude Julien and Chiarelli still have term on their contracts, and Neely said he was pleased with the job both did this season.
“I thought they both did a great job this year,” Neely said. “Claude’s a very good coach, Peter’s a good general manager. There’s challenges at times with the way the cap is now, to try and make certain moves you’d like to make. The trade deadline is a great example of that. The offseason, July 1 is another good example of it’s a little bit more difficult dealing with the cap than it’s been pre-cap.
“I think Claude’s done a good job, I’ve seen Claude make some adjustments since he’s been here and I think it’s been good that he communicates really well with the players. There’s no gray area which as a player, I think is fantastic. You shouldn’t have a gray area and he’s done a really good job since he’s been here.”
Neely also said that there were no plans at this time to make any moves regarding the coaching staff. That obviously applies more to the assistants, as Julien’s job is obviously safe.
- After two straight postseasons of power play struggles, Neely allowed that something needs to change, but not necessarily coaching or personnel.
“We got away with [having a bad power play] last year as everybody knows,” he said. “This year, it kind of bit us in the butt. We really need to have a philosophical difference of how we look at the power play. I don’t just look at the percentage of the power play, I look at when we get power plays, what the score of the game is, what time of the game is – that’s important. Maybe more so important than what the actual percentage of the power play is.
“I think we have the personnel that we can improve on the power play. There’s some things we’ll certainly discuss in the offseason about what we can do differently with the power play. I think it’s an area that absolutely needs improvement and we will improve on it.”
- There is one more year remaining on the Bruins’ deal with Ristuccia Arena in Wilmington. Charlie Jacobs said the team is determining what to use for a practice facility beyond then, with the team still considering Ristuccia. Jacobs did say that the Bruins want their practice facility to be a potential selling point for free agents, so that would suggest the team would ideally like to upgrade.
|Jeremy Jacobs: ‘Welcome home Lord Stanley’||06.18.11 at 11:23 am ET|
With the sun breaking through the clouds and basking hundreds of thousands in the afterglow of the city’s first Stanley Cup in 39 years, Boston kicked off another “Rolling Rally” Saturday morning in the parking lot outside TD Garden.
“Lord Stanley, 39 years, welcome home!” exclaimed Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, one of the first to speak before the duck boats began their three-mile procession from the Garden to Copley Square.
Boston City police termed Saturday’s rally the biggest in the city’s rich sports history, eclipsing even the 2004 Red Sox rally in the rain on Oct. 30, 2004, with well over a million people lined up between 10-15 deep in many areas along the route.
“We got the Cup! We got the Cup!” added Patrice Bergeron, whose two goals in Game 7 led the Bruins to a Cup-clinching 4-0 win in Vancouver on Wednesday night. Since then, the organization and city has been looking forward to celebrating the organization’s sixth Stanley Cup with hockey-loving city and region.
|Jacobs: Circumvention, demoting big contracts both costly games||09.29.10 at 4:17 pm ET|
This summer, it came to light that the Bruins were among the teams accused by the league of circumventing the salary cap with the signing of Marc Savard to a seven-year, $28.5 million deal. Though the deal was structured so that the latter years of the deal carried lower salaries and thus brought the overall cap hit down, it does not go past his 40th birthday and seemed to be a far cry from the 17-year Ilya Kovalchuk deal that was rejected before being tinkered with and finally accepted in an agreement that dropped the Savard investigation.
“I think they threw out a wide net and tried to be as inclusive as possible of everyone that they thought had extended contracts,” Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs said. “Whether they thought it was fair or not, I don’t know, but I didn’t feel there was any problem with it. If we have to stand scrutiny, that’s what we have to do.
“I think all the contracts have to be looked at that way, and at least from Boston’s standpoint, I think the commissioner made a valued judgement on this and I think clearly the arbitrator agreed on the Kovalchuk one, so he was right there, but fortunately he put an end to it. It was a very expensive situation, though.”
As for how the team will approach deals in the future, even with the NHLPA and the league reaching an agreement to prevent future circumvention, Jacobs noted that there’s still plenty of reason to be cautious with contracts and how they fit within the CBA.
“I think Boston is going to be a lot more sensitive to that,” Jacobs said. “Boston’s going to be very aware of the circumvention areas, and there’s a lot of things that can go into that terminology, circumvention. We’re sensitive to it.”
Jacobs had a few other interesting comments during his media scrum, with the Rangers’ demotion of Wade Redden bringing up the possibility of the Bruins sending a big-money player to the AHL when Marco Sturm and Marc Savard return from long-term injured reserve.