|Bruins set to play the first of two vs. Red Wings||02.11.11 at 1:33 am ET|
Winners of four of their last five, the Bruins (69 points) will host the Red Wings (70 points) at TD Garden on Friday. It will be the first of two the teams will play against one another in three days, as the Bruins will travel to Detroit to face the Wings for a Sunday matinee.
Starting for Detroit will be former University of Maine goaltender Jimmy Howard, who is one of five goaltenders with 26 wins this season. He was pulled halfway through Wednesday's 4-1 loss to the Predators after allowing all four Nashville goals. Expect Tuukka Rask to start for the B’s after he didn’t participate in Friday’s optional skate.
WHERE IT'S AT
- The Bruins are 15-10-3 in home games (14-10-3 at TD Garden) and have won three of their last four at the Garden. Their most recent was Wednesday's high-scoring penalty fest against the Canadiens, an 8-6 victory.
- The Red Wings are 16-8-2 on the road this season. They lost their most recent road game, getting blanked, 3-0, in Nashville on Feb. 5.
- Nathan Horton is coming off the first five-point night of his career, as he had a goal and four assists Wednesday vs. the Habs. His five points were more than he had in his previous 13 contests.
- Brad Marchand has a plus-25 rating on the season, putting him behind only Flyers defenseman Andrej Meszaros for the league lead. The only other forward in the top five is Vancouver's Ryan Kesler, whose plus-23 puts him in a tie for fifth.
- The Bruins got a power-play goal from Michael Ryder on Wednesday, but their power play is still struggling to produce. Ryder’s tally was the first strike with a man advantage for the Bruins in six games, and also the first since Marc Savard went down on Jan. 22 in Colorado.
STORLYINES GOING IN
- Despite being second in the Western Conference, the Red Wings haven't exactly been tearing it up of late. They have lost three of their last four contests and are 5-6-1 over their last 12 games.
- The last three games and the coming two against the Red Wings have made for the Bruins' most difficult five-game stretch in their schedule, and so far they have to be pleased with how they've fared. With slugfest wins over the Stars and Canadiens and a tough 1-0 loss to the Sharks, they are 2-1-0 so far.
- After a lot of fighting on Wednesday, Micky Ward will drop a ceremonial first puck prior to Friday's game. In other pre-game news, we'll keep an eye (or ear) on whether the revamped hip-hop warmup music selected by Johnny Boychuk sticks. The team skated out to Wiz Khalifa's 'Black and Yellow' rather than Metallica's cover of 'Whiskey in the Jar' on Wednesday.
- Fresh Links: But We Were Just Getting To Know You Edition
- Boychuk out 3-7 days, not weeks. Let's go to the movies!
- Fresh Links: Wound Licking Edition
- Friday Morning Skate: Get Well Soon, Johnny
- Bruins vs Habs Recap: Just a loss. Win the games in hand.
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 1 Habs 2
- Fresh Links: 721 Edition