|Bruins prepare for another back-to-back||03.10.13 at 11:44 am ET|
WILMINGTON — The Bruins returned to practice Sunday at Ristuccia Arena in preparation for a back-to-back in Ottawa Monday and Pittsburgh Tuesday. This week’s will be the Bruins’ second of three back-to-backs in the month of March.
The lines appeared to be the same as they have been since the team called up Jordan Caron, with the 22-year-old splitting duties with Jay Pandolfo on Chris Kelly‘s line.
The 16-3-3 B’s woke up Sunday with the second most points in the Eastern Conference, trailing the 16-5-4 Canadiens by one point. The Habs, who have 36 points to Boston’s 35, have played three more games (25) than the Bruins (22).
|After bad luck and bad games, Jordan Caron happy to be back with Bruins||03.08.13 at 2:57 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Jordan Caron feels that Friday’s call-up was a long time coming, but a myriad of factors — the lockout, injuries and inconsistency — made his wait to resume his NHL career a little longer.
Caron, who was drafted 25th overall by the Bruins in 2009, was called up and sent down over half a dozen times last season, but he strung together some success at this time last year. From March 4 to March 10, Caron had points in four straight games, scoring three goals and adding four assists for seven points.
When the Bruins traded Benoit Pouliot in the offseason and Brian Rolston did not return, it appeared Caron could be destined to finally be given a full-time shot for the B’s after going up and down between Boston and Providence in his first two seasons. That didn’t happen, as the lockout forced him to begin the season in Providence, where he suffered a shoulder injury that kept him out of training camp when the NHL finally got the ball rolling in January.
“I had a really good second half last year, and I wanted to come here this year and keep going in the same path,” he said. “Obviously with the lockout, it didn’t go that way. Going down to Providence, I wasn’t really happy about it, but there was nothing I could do. I just wanted to go out there and play and be ready for the when the [NHL] season would start.”
It wasn’t the only injury he had to deal with. After Caron returned from his shoulder injury, he took to the face on Jan. 31 (there is still a noticeable cut under his right eye), which caused him to miss time. Factor in that he wasn’t playing necessarily well in Providence (10 goals, five assists in 44 games), and there’s more than enough evidence that it’s been a frustrating season for the 22-year-old winger.
“I wanted to be here,” he said. “With the lockout, it was kind of bad luck, but I was trying to focus as much as I could in Providence. I’m not having my best season ever, but I think right now, just being here, it’s like a new season, a new start. Hopefully I can get it going even better.”
The good news for Caron is that he has picked it up of late, with four goals and three assists for seven points over his last nine games. He attributes his recent success to being put on a line with Christian Hanson and Bobby Robins, which he says has allowed him to “get back to basics.”
With Chris Bourque down in Providence, it would appear Caron’s new linemates figure to be Chris Kelly and Rich Peverley when he gets into the lineup. Caron skated with the line in Friday’s practice, splitting left wing duties with Jay Pandolfo. Claude Julien wouldn’t say after Friday’s practice whether the B’s intend to get Caron into the lineup Saturday against the Flyers, but Caron would welcome a reunion with Kelly after spending time on his line last season.
“Obviously Kells is a really good defensive player and is really smart on the ice,” Caron said. “For my part, my job is to go on the forecheck and create turnovers, so I know with Kells, I’ve just got to go and not think about posting up as the third man.”
In 71 career NHL games, Caron has 10 goals and 12 assists for the Bruins. Despite how long ago it may have been, he’s still encouraged by what he was able to do in the second half of last season, and the Bruins expect him to build on it.
“I thought he played pretty well at the end of last year,” Julien said. “He’s a big body. He’s strong along the walls. We asked him to do some things in Providence this year — take pucks to the net and go to the net — and he’s done that. It’s about giving him that opportunity now to show us that he’s gotten better.”
|Bruins recall Jordan Caron, Chris Bourque clears waivers||at 12:05 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — The Bruins Bruins recalled forward Jordan Caron from Providence Friday morning, a day after the team waived Chris Bourque with the intention of assigning him to Providence. Bourque cleared waivers at noon on Friday, so he will be able to play for Boston’s AHL affiliate.
The callup is an intriguing one, as Caron was expected to compete for a job on the third line this season, but was injured prior to training camp. Caron, who showed some flashes with the B’s late last season, has had an underwhelming season in the AHL this year, with 10 goals and five assists for 15 points in 44 games.
Caron was the Bruins’ first round pick (25th overall) in the 2009 draft and has played 75 games for Boston in the 2010-11 and 2011-12 season, though he’s yet to play in the NHL this year. Last season, he scored seven goals and added eight assists for 15 points in 48 games.
For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Bruins hold off-ice workouts||01.18.13 at 12:00 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — The Bruins stayed off the ice Friday at Ristuccia Arena, taking a day for off-ice workouts after skating for the previous five days. Only Jordan Caron (out with an upper-body injury) and Milan Lucic (who missed Thursday’s practice due to the birth of his daughter) took the ice, which had to be disappointing for those in the packed stands.
The Bruins will kick off the season Saturday at TD Garden against the Rangers, marking the first game of their 48-game schedule. Two of the Bruins’ first three games will come against the Rangers, who finished first in the Eastern Conference last regular season and added power forward Rick Nash in a trade with the Blue Jackets.
“I think it’s a good want to start for us,” Claude Julien said. “It’s a team that I think a lot of people are predicting has a real good chance of winning a Stanley Cup, so we might as well get at it right away and play against a good team. If anything, it will certainly make us better quicker, and to me, it’s a great way to start.”
|Jordan Caron skates, Milan Lucic absent from Bruins practice||01.17.13 at 11:04 am ET|
WILMINGTON — A familiar face made an appearance as injured forward Jordan Caron skated with strength and conditioning coach John Whitesides prior to Thursday’s Bruins practice at Ristuccia Arena.
Caron, who had been playing at Providence this season but is out with an upper-body injury, did not stay on the ice for practice.
Absent from Thursday’s session was Milan Lucic (personal reasons), with Jay Pandolfo filling in for him on the first line in practice and Gregory Campbell replacing him on the first power-play unit during special teams work. The power play units were as follows:
Practice was delayed for a number of minutes due to a fan in the stands needing medical attention. The fan was placed on a stretcher and taken to the hospital.
|Bruins assign Dougie Hamilton to OHL, Jordan Caron among players headed to AHL||09.14.12 at 5:36 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Friday that they have sent 23 players to Providence, a list that is led by winger Jordan Caron. In addition to announcing the players assigned to Providence, the team also assigned defenseman Dougie Hamilton and goalie Malcolm Subban to their OHL teams.
While the transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL has expired, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said last week that he believes teams would be able to have junior-eligible players start a locked out season in junior and then come to the NHL when a new collective bargaining agreement is in place. The team intends to do that with Hamilton, who had 72 points in 50 regular-season games last season.
With the Bruins’ rookie camp cancelled and the NHL picture unclear, Hamilton joined up with his former-turned-current team this month, IceDogs coach Marty Williamson told WEEI.com Friday.
“He’s been practicing with us for the last two weeks almost,” Williamson said following the announcement. “He’s been here practicing but hasn’t played any exhibition games. Now that they’ve made the announcement, he’ll start Thursday with us and play his first game.”
The following players were sent to Providence: Matt Bartkowski, Ryan Button, Carter Camper, Jordan Caron, Colby Cohen, Tommy Cross, Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Michael Hutchinson, Jared Knight, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, Adam Morrison, Tyler Randell, Max Sauve, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Svedberg, Zach Trotman and David Warsofsky. Veterans Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif and Trent Whitfield will also report to Providence after clearing waivers.
One notable absence from that list is forward Tyler Seguin. The 20-year-old has played in 175 NHL games (including playoffs) and is thus not exempt from the waiver process in order to send him to the AHL. However, it is Seguin’s understanding that there is a scenario in which he could play in the AHL this season.
|Tyler Seguin: ‘My understanding is I could go to [AHL]’||at 2:18 pm ET|
Seguin is a veteran of 175 NHL games (including playoffs) and would seemingly have to go through waivers, but the third-year winger said (vaguely) that he thinks he can play in the AHL.
“My understanding is I could go to Providence,” he said. “I haven’t decided anything and we haven’t talked about anything. I haven’t talked to management since [signing] the contract, so nothing’s going in forward motion with that stuff. I’m just trying to wait it out and hopefully something happens here with the CBA.”
A source told WEEI.com that Seguin could not get to the AHL without clearing waivers because of how many games he’s played, though the possibility exists (as pointed out by Mike Loftus of the Patriot Ledger on Twitter) that waivers could be avoided if a situation arises in which Seguin could simply sign an AHL contract.
The rule regarding waivers states that players who signed their entry-level deals at age 18 (as Seguin did) would be exempt from waivers if they played less than 160 NHL games. Seguin, at the aforementioned 175 games, does not qualify.
Earlier in the week, Seguin said that he was considering either the AHL or potentially looking at Europe, something he reiterated Friday.
“You’ve got to be cautious and have some options,” he said. “Obviously I have mine, but for right now you want to play NHL hockey first. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
According to the Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont, Jordan Caron will play for Providence if there’s a lockout. Given that he has played 73 games at the NHL, he will be exempt from waivers. The B’s placed Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif, and Trent Whitfield on waivers this week in order to have them play in the AHL.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara