|Tuukka Rask: ‘Nobody’s told me otherwise, so I’m sure I’m playing’ vs. Canadiens||02.07.15 at 10:57 pm ET|
After stopping 39 of the 40 shots he faced against the Islanders Saturday, Tuukka Rask said he is ready to go again Sunday against the Canadiens.
“Nobody’s told me otherwise, so I’m sure I’m playing,” Rask said Saturday night. “If I play, hopefully we’ll get a win so I don’t ever have to answer [the] questions again.”
The questions to which Rask refers are those of whether he and the Bruins can beat the Canadiens. Boston has dropped all three of its meetings vs. the Habs this season, with Rask getting yanked in one of his two starts against Montreal.
In his career, Rask is 3-12-3 against the Canadiens in the regular season. While he shut out the Habs in one of his three postseason victories against them last year, Rask acknowledged that the Canadiens have been a problem for the Bruins.
“We try to approach it as any other game, but the fact is that we haven’t been able to beat them that many times in the past,” he said. “We have to change it because another fact is most likely we’re going to face them in the playoffs this year, so we have to learn to play against them.”
Rask has already played in both games of back-to-backs four times this season. The possibilities to start for the Bruins if Rask doesn’t start are Niklas Svedberg and Malcolm Subban, the latter of whom is currently up with the Bruins. Subban hasn’t started a game in over two weeks, however, and playing him against the Canadiens in both his first NHL game and his first game at any level in a while would be a very challenging assignment.
Svedberg did not start Saturday in Providence, leaving open the possibility that he could be available for the B’s. Svedberg played most of the third period in Montreal in relief of Rask on Oct. 16 and allowed five goals to the Habs on Nov. 13 at the Bell Centre.
Claude Julien did not answer when asked who would be in net Sunday. The Bruins will not have a morning skate Sunday, so its likely that Boston’s starter will not be revealed until warmups at 7 p.m.
|Will Malcolm Subban’s first NHL start come against Canadiens?||02.05.15 at 9:20 pm ET|
Malcolm Subban is due for a start somewhere.
When the Bruins recalled their 2012 first-round pick last week, it was a fun story as the second-year pro got his first regular-season taste of the NHL. All these days later, the fact that he lasted past last weekend (the anticipated length of his callup) brings something else to light: The kid is going on two weeks without playing a game.
That’s the longest stretch this season that Subban, who last played on Jan. 24 for Providence, has gone out of game action since a lower-body injury cost him time in mid-November.
The Bruins have a three-game homestand coming up, including a tough back-to-back against the Islanders and Canadiens this weekend. Asked whether Subban would get one of the starts, Claude Julien responded Thursday with his signature “we’ll see, guys” answer.
To give any goaltender their first NHL start in a Bruins-Canadiens game is the definition of throwing someone into the fire. Add in that Malcolm’s older brother P.K. is Montreal’s Norris-winning assistant captain, and a potential start Sunday would be quite the event. Malcolm admitted his parents would be on the next plane to Boston should it be the case, but he isn’t looking that far ahead.
“It would be pretty cool, but I’m not thinking into it too much,” Malcolm said Thursday. “Just trying to stay focused. Whenever my opportunity comes, hopefully I’ll be ready.”
The Bruins have played Tuukka Rask in both games of four different back-to-backs this season, so the fact that a backup (whether Subban or, should they return him to Providence, Niklas Svedberg) plays this weekend is far from a guarantee. The Canadiens angle does make it interesting from a game plan standpoint, however.
Rask has started two games against the Canadiens this season and is 0-2-0 with seven goals allowed. He was pulled from the teams’ first meeting this season after allowing five goals in an eventual 6-4 loss. The Bruins gave Svedberg the start in Montreal on Nov. 13, with Svedberg surrendering five goals on 34 shots.
The small chance that Subban could begin his NHL career in a Battle of the Subbans comes down to the Bruins’ philosophy with Rask and the Canadiens. Rask is one of the best goaltenders in the world and he doesn’t win a lot against Montreal (3-12-3 lifetime in the regular season). The fact that Rask is one of the best goaltenders in the world is not going to change, but the Bruins can take the Rangers/Henrik Lundqvist approach by simply hiding their star goaltender from the Habs. That worked when the Rangers beat the Habs in six games in the Eastern Conference finals last spring.
So it’s possible that the back-to-backs and Rask’s history could combine to make Subban’s dream debut take place, but it’s also worth considering that the Bruins prioritize their game plan over the neat story. Just ask Michigan native Steven Kampfer, who brought his family to his Joe Louis Arena homecoming when the Bruins faced the Red Wings in 2011, only to learn the night before the game that the B’s would be making him a healthy scratch for the game.
Whether or not Subban plays during this callup or at any point in Boston this season, the 21-year-old has enjoyed his brief NHL stint thus far. He’s seen the improved competition in practice and thinks the non-training-camp exposure to working life in the NHL has been a learning experience.
“Those shots that he’s getting here should be a little bit higher grade than what he gets over there, for obvious reasons,” Julien said. “It’s a good experience for him. We’re trying to groom him into being the goaltender that we expect him to be, and you’ve got to take some steps to do that. This is one of the steps that was part of grooming him.”
|Bruins recall Malcolm Subban, keep shuffled lines in practice||01.30.15 at 11:51 am ET|
WILMINGTON – All Bruins were present for Friday’s Bruins practice, including a new face.
Goaltender Malcolm Subban was recalled from Providence, as the B’s sent backup netminder Niklas Svedberg to Providence on a conditioning loan. Svedberg has played just one game over the last month, a 14-save shutout against the Devils on Jan. 8.
Subban, the Bruins’ first-round pick in the 2012 draft, has allowed one goal in each of his last three starts. On the season, he has a 2.47 goals-against average and a .921 save percentage for Providence.
The plan for Subban is to keep him up for the weekend, with Claude Julien stressing that the recall was more about getting Svedberg into game action with Providence. The Baby B’s have games Friday and Saturday. Svedberg is expected to start Friday’s game, while the plan for Saturday is unclear.
The Bruins kept the same lines they used in Thursday’s win over the Islanders:
The Bruins will return to action Saturday when they host the Kings at TD Garden.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Maria Subban continues to root for Bruins and Canadiens||11.22.14 at 1:44 pm ET|
Maria Subban is one of a small number of people in the world who can claim to be a loyal fan of both the Bruins and the Canadiens. As long as her sons wear their respective team’s jerseys, she will not pick a side.
In town with the Canadiens as part of a mothers’ trip, the matriarch of one of hockey’s most talented families said Saturday that she’s proud of what sons P.K. and Malcolm are doing with the Habs and Bruins, respectively.
“I think it’s great,” Maria said. “I think both organizations are wonderful organizations.”
The Bruins made Malcolm something of a surprise pick in 2012 when they chose the Belleville Bulls goaltender 25th overall. The pick turned heads not only because the Bruins appeared to be set at goalie long-term with Tuukka Rask, but because of his relation to the Montreal defenseman.
P.K. is probably the Derek Jeter or Bernie Williams of the Bruins-Habs rivalry in that the boos he receives at TD Garden only thinly cover up Boston fans’ longing to see him in a Bruins sweater. With P.K. in the first year of an eight-year contract with the Habs, it’s safe to say Boston fans won’t be getting their wish, even if they’ll never admit to having it.
Malcolm, on the other hand, could very well play in Boston one day. He’s currently in his second season in Providence, though he’s currently battling a lower-body injury.
“I think he was really surprised, because of P.K. and Boston, but he’s happy and he loves it there,” Maria said. “He’s doing really well.”
Through nine games, Malcolm is 4-3-1 with a .923 save percentage and 2.59 goals-against average. P.K. admitted that in addition to keeping in touch with Malcolm and Jordan (a 19-year-old fourth-round pick of the Canucks still playing in Belleville of the OHL), he’s eager to see how they’re performing as well.
“I always know a little bit about each of them, what’s going on,” P.K. said. “Obviously to me, they’re my brothers. I don’t know how much I pay attention to the hockey side of thing [vs.] them actually being my brothers. They’re family, so obviously I always talk to them. My parents should be proud of not just all three boys, but all five kids, and my sisters as well.”
The Bruins appear set at backup goaltender with Niklas Svedberg, but Malcolm could begin to knock on the NHL‘s door in the coming years. That means that one day Maria will have her hands full when she makes her trips to the Garden.
“I’ll root for both of them. You’ve got two kids; you’ve got to root for both of them,” she said. “You can’t pick or choose, otherwise I’m going to be a hated mom.”
|Malcolm Subban using rookie tournament to prepare for bigger role in Providence||09.13.14 at 6:20 pm ET|
ANTIOCH, Tenn. — Malcolm Subban is far from being the oldest Bruin at this week’s rookie tournament, but with more professional experience (one year) than most in attendance, the 20-year-old is practically a seasoned vet compared to his fellow Bruins prospects.
Not counting those who had cups of coffee in Providence late last season, Subban is one of six players in attendance who spent the 2013-14 season playing for Boston’s AHL affiliate. Splitting time with Niklas Svedberg, he went 15-10-5 in the regular season with a .920 save percentage and 2.31 goals-against average and figures to be Providence’s clear-cut starter this season, with Svedberg likely to back up Tuukka Rask in Boston this season.
Before any of that, however, he’ll get the full rookie camp treatment as he takes part in the tournament with fellow goaltender Adam Morrison. Bruins goaltending coach Bob Essensa is on the trip to work with both goaltenders as Subban prepares for veteran camp.
Considering how long it takes goaltenders to develop, the Bruins are wise to give him as much work as he can get.
“Malcolm’s a young goaltender and [last year] was his first year pro,” Bruins assistant general manager Don Sweeney said after Saturday’s game. ‘For us, I think it was important for him to be ere and play as much as he can, and to continue. Bob’s here to work with him, as he is with Adam. I think this is a very comfortable situation for him to be in.”
Subban got the start Saturday in the first game of the tournament and allowed both goals in a 2-0 loss to the Panthers. After facing just three shots in the first period, Subban was beaten on a wrist shot from Panthers forward Steven Hodges on Florida’s fourth shot of the game and later allowed a power play goal in which former Bruins prospect Cody Payne buried a loose puck in front.
Different goalies feel differently about long stretches of inactivity during games. Some like that it brings no chance of a goal scored, while others find it tough to stay in the game when they’re not facing shots. Subban seemed to put himself in the latter category.
“It’s pretty tough, especially the first game. You haven’t really gotten a feel for anything, so I’m just trying to feel the puck and I guess that was the result in the first two goals they got,” he said. “In the third period, I felt a lot better when I got into the game a bit more and finally felt a little more comfortable, but by the time that happened the game was pretty much over.”
Though not happy with the result Saturday, Subban seems to be embracing the opportunity to get game experience in an exhibition setting as he readies himself for the big camp.
“It’s good to be around guys your age and stuff and see the young talent in the organization,” Subban said. ‘Obviously I still have a lot of developing to do; I’m only 20, so I’ll just keep trying to develop right now and play with other guys my age and just go from there.”
The free trip to Nashville doesn’t hurt, either. Bringing Subban to the tournament gives the second-year pro an opportunity to be with players his age before he skates with a mix of youngsters and veterans in the coming season.
Plus, it lets him shake off whatever rust he may be carrying back from the offseason.
“I was there last year and had a pretty good year here in the AHL last year, so I feel like this wouldn’t really represent what I can do,” he said. “Obviously you still want to play well here; it’s obviously a tournament they have to get you ready for camp and whatnot and show what you have so far. I’m looking forward to playing well. I’m not here just to slack off.”
|Bruins announce development camp roster||07.03.14 at 12:33 pm ET|
The Bruins announced their roster for their development camp Thursday. The camp will take place from July 9 to July 13 at Ristuccia Arena in Wilmington.
Among the players set to attend the development camp are recent draft picks David Pastrnak and Ryan Donato, as well as 2012 first-rounder Malcolm Subban.
The roster is as follows:
Forwards: Cole Bardreau, Kyle Baun, Anders Bjork, Anton Blidh, Peter Cehlarik, Mitchell Dempsey, Michael Doherty, Ryan Donato, Ryan Fitzgerald, Alex Globke, Colton Hargrove, Simon Norberg, David Pastrnak.
Defensemen: Linus Arnesson, Matt Benning, Matt Grzelcyk, Emil Johansson, Rob O’ Gara, Wiley Sherman, Billy Sweezey, Oleg Yevenko.
Goaltenders: Zane Gothberg, Malcolm Subban.
Of the players attending, Bardreau, Baun, Doherty, Globke, Norberg, Sweezy and Yevenko will attend the camp on an invite basis.
For more Bruins coverage, visit weei.com/bruins.
|Bruins sign Niklas Svedberg to one-way contract, making Chad Johnson return unlikely||06.23.14 at 6:30 pm ET|
The Bruins signed goaltender Niklas Svedberg to a one-year, one-way contract worth $600,000, positioning Svedberg to be Tuukka Rask‘s backup and likely signaling the end of Chad Johnson‘s time with the team.
Svedberg, who has been with the Bruins for the last two seasons, has spent nearly his entire time with the organization playing for Providence. He won the Aldege ‘Baz’ Bastien Memorial Award as the AHL’s top goalie in the 2012-13 season, posting a .925 save percentage and 2.17 goals-against average.
Johnson played last season on the same terms as Svedberg will get next season, and his performance as Rask’s backup made him a good candidate to get more money and playing time elsewhere, much like Anton Khudobin did last offseason.
With Svedberg a safe bet to be in Boston next season, 2012 first-round pick Malcolm Subban is in line to become Providence’s starting goaltender.
For more Bruins news, visit weei.com/bruins.