|Marc Savard: Likely ‘no chance’ of comeback||10.22.12 at 3:12 pm ET|
While there’s no news as to where things stand for a potential season, Marc Savard took to Twitter Monday to give what at this point figures to be an annual reminder that he won’t be playing hockey.
The veteran center, who hasn’t played since suffering a concussion on Jan. 22, 2011, said that at this point there is “no chance” that he returns to the NHL. Savard still has five years left on his seven-year, $28.05 million deal and technically has to take and fail his physical every year to be paid his contract. His cap number ($4.007 million) doesn’t go against the Bruins’ salary cap figure as long they put him on long-term injured reserve, which they did in the 2010-11 season when they acquired Tomas Kaberle.
I tried to workout today with my trainer I felt like crap but I need to do it #battle
— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
For the fans that keep asking there is no comeback in the foreseeable future I miss the game it has given me everything I have today — marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
I do in fact hope there is still a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel to play but that rest on the doctor shoulders so far #nochance
— marc savard (@MSavvy91) October 22, 2012
|Marc Savard: ‘I feel so bad’ for Nathan Horton||04.11.12 at 1:16 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — When the Bruins traded for Nathan Horton in the 2010 offseason, the hope was that he could thrive in the Boston offense thanks to the skills of Marc Savard. Scorers such as Phil Kessel had excelled when skating on Savard’s line, so fans and media alike wondered if Savard could make Horton a 40-goal scorer.
Unfortunately for the Bruins, Savard and Horton haven’t shared many goals, or even games together. What they do have in common is that they’ve seen the bad side of playing in the NHL: concussions and post-concussion syndrome.
On the day that the Bruins announced Horton would miss the postseason with a concussion, Savard took to twitter to express his thoughts on the news, which hit close to him given his history. Savard wrote the following:
“I feel so bad for my boy Horty. Although I believe both parties are making the right decision. He’s too young.”
Savard, who is in the second year of a seven-year deal with the Bruins, missed the entire season with post-concussion syndrome and it is still unknown whether he will ever play again. Horton’s concussion is his second in less than seven months.
|Marc Savard happy, but not confident he’ll play again||01.21.12 at 1:44 pm ET|
Bruins forward Marc Savard, who is out for the season with post-concussion syndrome, made a rare appearance at TD Garden Saturday to unveil the suite he recently bought for patients dealing with head trauma at Children’s Hospital.
Savard has been plagued with head issues since receiving a blindside hit to the head from Penguins forward Matt Cooke on March 7, 2010. A routine hit from Matt Hunwick on Jan. 22, 2011 ended his campaign last season, and it was announced prior to this season that he would not play. Savard said Saturday the chances of him ever playing again might be slim.
“Right now, the way I’m still feeling and the daily issues I’m having, it’s tough to see a bright future right now, to be honest with you,” he said. “It’s tough. I still have my tough days that I want to get back and play, but at the end of the day, I know if I possibly got hit again, what could happen. It’s a day by day thing, still. I’m still hoping that something happens and I feel a lot better, but if I feel like this, I still couldn’t play.”
Savard said that the biggest symptoms he has shown involve his memory.
“I wasn’t a guy that forgot too much, and it seems like I’m forgetting my phone at home,” he said. “My son played a game the other day, and I left the keys in ignition in the car. I turned it off, at least, but I went in and watched the game, and I was like, ‘Geez, where are my keys?’ I went out to the car, and they were in the ignition. So just little things like that that I would never do and that seem to keep happening.
“Mornings are really tough on me – just getting going, getting the eyes open and going on. And the weather changes we’ve had in Canada this winter – I think you guys have had the same, but cold, hot, rain, snow, it’s kind of giving me a lot of headaches.”
While the memory loss has plagued him, Savard said that one of the worst symptoms of PCS — depression — has not been an issue.
“I’m happy right now,” Savard said. “I’m really happy, I’ve got no issues on the depression side. I’m around my kids every day, taking them to school, helping coach, and just, I’m really enjoying life. I think, like I said, I’m really happy, and happy to be here today. I don’t have any hard feelings about anything. I’m just happy.”
|Marc Savard not coming to Boston Thursday||01.12.12 at 11:28 am ET|
The Bruins confirmed late Thursday morning that forward Marc Savard, whose career is most likely over due to multiple concussions, will not be coming to Boston to make his scheduled appearance.
Earlier Thursday, Savard was tweeting about weather interfering with his travel plans.
Savard was scheduled to meet with the media at 4:30 p.m. at TD Garden Thursday. He was scheduled to be in town to open the suite at TD Garden he purchased for patients at Children’s Hospital dealing with head trauma.
Savard will travel to Boston for a future game.
|Claude Julien felt Brad Marchand was protecting himself||01.07.12 at 5:24 pm ET|
While the big question Saturday regarding a possible suspension surrounds Bruins forward Milan Lucic, he isn’t the only Bruins’ left wing who could be in trouble with the league.
Brad Marchand was given a five-minute major and a game misconduct for clipping Canucks defenseman Sami Salo in the Bruins’ zone in the second period of Saturday’s loss to Vancouver. Marchand got low when Salo came in to hit him, and what resulted was a dangerous play that Kevin Bieksa said should get Marchand suspended.
A fired-up Bruins coach Claude Julien defended Marchand following the game, saying he was protecting himself from what could have been a dangerous hit.
“We all have our opinions on what is going on with the game and the hits and everything else,” Julien said after the game. “All I’m going to tell you is that I always told my players that they need to protect themselves. The last thing I want my players to do is get hit and then end up with a concussion, and they have to protect themselves. Whether it’s the right way or the wrong way, it’ll depend on how the league looks at it.
“I’d rather have a guy take a two-minute penalty than turn his back to the play, stand up straight, and then get his face knocked into the glass and be out for maybe the rest of the year with a concussion, or maybe end his career like [Marc] Savard. So I think we have to really look at those kinds of things. In my opinion, if guys start protecting themselves the way Marchand did, maybe guys will stop taking runs at other guys because that’s the consequences you end up paying for taking runs at guys, too. Who knows where we’re going to go with this. I know we’re all trying hard to fix that part of the game, but it’s still there, and it’s still not fixed.”
|Marc Savard says he’s still having memory loss issues||11.08.11 at 1:09 pm ET|
Marc Savard is using Twitter to do more than correctly predict the future. On Tuesday, the day after it became well-known that the 34-year-old was on Twitter, Savard, who will miss the entire season and possibly beyond with post-concussion syndrome, provided an update on his health. He tweeted the following on Tuesday morning:
“Headaches are normal part of life know but memory still the scariest thing but really enjoying life and still not able to workout.”
Memory loss issues were something Savard pointed to as particularly worrisome the day of the Bruins’ Stanley Cup parade, the last time he has spoken to the Boston media.
|Marc Savard will be on the Stanley Cup, but will Steven Kampfer?||09.12.11 at 11:59 pm ET|
One petitioned player will be on the Stanley Cup, but what about the others?
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed Monday night that center Marc Savard’s name will be on the trophy, which is good news for a guy who hasn’t had much of it.
Due to his latest concussion, Savard played in only 25 regular season games last season (41, or one Stanley Cup finals game are required to get one’s name on the trophy). The Cup will be engraved this week, with 52 names (including the players) allowed.
“It’s not an easy task, it really isn’t,” Bruins president Cam Neely said of trying to narrow down the list while also seeking approval for petitioned players who don’t meet the required games. “You’d like to get as many on there as possible, but it was important to have Savvy on there, and fortunately enough it worked.”
While the Bruins know Savard will be on the Cup, they aren’t sure about defenseman Steven Kampfer, who played in 38 games in the regular season. Both Savard and Kampfer had injuries last season (Savard a season-ending concussion and Kampfer a lower-body injury during an AHL stint late in the regular season), but Chiarelli said they don’t know whether the young defenseman will get his name on the trophy.
“I’m going to know that shortly,” Chiarelli said. “I’ve had discussions [about it]. Those are tougher arguments, unfortunately. I’ll probably know that by the end of the week.”
Obviously, the feel-good story is for Savard to get on there, and the powers that be absolutely made the right decision in allowing Savard’s name. With that being said, it’s pretty crazy to imagine Kampfer not getting on the trophy given his contributions as a blueliner capable of logging 20 minutes a night in the middle of the season. Shane Hnidy is far less likely to get on there.