|Jacobs: Circumvention, demoting big contracts both costly games||09.29.10 at 4:17 pm ET|
This summer, it came to light that the Bruins were among the teams accused by the league of circumventing the salary cap with the signing of Marc Savard to a seven-year, $28.5 million deal. Though the deal was structured so that the latter years of the deal carried lower salaries and thus brought the overall cap hit down, it does not go past his 40th birthday and seemed to be a far cry from the 17-year Ilya Kovalchuk deal that was rejected before being tinkered with and finally accepted in an agreement that dropped the Savard investigation.
“I think they threw out a wide net and tried to be as inclusive as possible of everyone that they thought had extended contracts,” Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs said. “Whether they thought it was fair or not, I don’t know, but I didn’t feel there was any problem with it. If we have to stand scrutiny, that’s what we have to do.
“I think all the contracts have to be looked at that way, and at least from Boston’s standpoint, I think the commissioner made a valued judgement on this and I think clearly the arbitrator agreed on the Kovalchuk one, so he was right there, but fortunately he put an end to it. It was a very expensive situation, though.”
As for how the team will approach deals in the future, even with the NHLPA and the league reaching an agreement to prevent future circumvention, Jacobs noted that there’s still plenty of reason to be cautious with contracts and how they fit within the CBA.
“I think Boston is going to be a lot more sensitive to that,” Jacobs said. “Boston’s going to be very aware of the circumvention areas, and there’s a lot of things that can go into that terminology, circumvention. We’re sensitive to it.”
Jacobs had a few other interesting comments during his media scrum, with the Rangers’ demotion of Wade Redden bringing up the possibility of the Bruins sending a big-money player to the AHL when Marco Sturm and Marc Savard return from long-term injured reserve.
|Savard missing Belfast||at 1:00 am ET|
According published reports, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli confirmed on Tuesday with reporters that center Marc Savard will not accompany the team on its trip to Belfast on Wednesday night. Savard has missed all of training camp with post-concussion symptom syndromes. Peter Chiarelli has indicated that he could potentially fly to Prague to watch his teammates open the regular season against the Coyotes on Oct. 9 and 10.
UPDATE [Wednesday]: Chiarelli said that Savard is on a seven or eight-day program for his conditioning as he works his way back to potentially pass an impact test. Savard failed the test on September 17, the day the team opened training camp.
|Savard: ‘I might have come back a little too early last year’||09.25.10 at 12:39 pm ET|
In speaking with reporters Saturday and breaking a summer-long silence, Marc Savard elaborated on Peter Chiarelli’s statement that post-concussion syndrom symptoms were keeping the star center out of training camp. He said he failed an impact test od September 17 and listed dizzy spells, nausea, fatigue, headaches and depression as the symptoms that began to spring up as he trained over the summer.
“I went home after the season. I took a month off. From there, I started working out, and everything was going really well,” Savard said in giving a timeline of the events. “I had some issues during workouts, but I just kind of kept going. I started talking to my agent and telling him everything that was going on, and it just kind of went on from there.
“I still feel good,” he added. “When I was training, things were going really well. Obviously, there were issues. I just tried to work through them, but that wasn’t the right career move.”
Savard suffered a concussion on a hit from Matt Cooke on March 7 that kept him out for the rest of last season. He returned to play in the second round of the playoffs against the Flyers, a move that may not have been for the best in the long run, as he said he dealt with “huge fatigue problems.”
“I had a few problems during that series. ‘¦ Someone related it to me — a doctor did — he said you can have knee problems, and you come back a little early, but you just play through it,” Savard said. “With your brain and head, that’s probably not the best thing to do.”
Rumors swirled earlier in the week when a report suggested Savard could miss the entire season. Though Savard shouldn’t be expected back too soon, he said he hasn’t considered missing the year, the first of a seven-year, $28.5 million deal.
“I’m obviously still a little ways away,” Savard said. “I’m just taking my time this year. It might be a little bit of my own fault; I might have come back a little too early last year. That’s my own fault. I’m just a hockey player, and I want to play hockey in the playoffs. Right now, I’m just going to take it slow here and go from there.”
Savard will focus on getting back to a point at which he can pass the impact test that he failed, and from there will start training again. He noted the depression as being the most difficult to deal with of the symptoms.
Ben Rohrbach contributed to this report.
|Savard to break silence Saturday||09.24.10 at 9:02 pm ET|
And the countdown begins…
Marc Savard is set to address the media at 10:30 on Saturday morning. After a summer of speculation and trade rumors, Peter Chiarelli notified the media last Friday that Savard would miss the beginning of camp after shutting down his training due to symptoms of post-concussion syndrome.
Savard suffered the concussion on March 7 on a hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. He missed the remainder of the regular season before returning for the team’s second-round matchup with the Flyers.
The center, who is entering the first year of a seven-year, $28.5 million extension, hasn’t spoken to the Boston media since the end of last season, though he did tell the Ottawa Sun that he was “hurt” by the idea of the team trading him. Details are currently unknown of what developments may come of the session.
|Chiarelli makes exception, shoots down Savard report||09.21.10 at 10:12 pm ET|
“As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome. He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.
“Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc’s status, I will issue an update.”
Earlier Tuesday, a source told ESPNBoston that Savard could miss the upcoming season with post-concussion syndrome. Savard has been held out of training camp thus far due to PCS symptoms, and according to the report, a source within the organization said that Savard’s case is “not a good situation.”
After the team’s “State of the Bruins” town hall meeting, Chiarelli spoke about why he felt it was necessary to send out clarification on the subject, a rare practice in a town where rumors fly at a rapid rate.
“It’s not normally my practice to respond to stories like that unless I feel like it’s completely contradictory to what I said, which is the case here,” Chiarelli said. “We issued that statement saying that everything is the same as it was when we started the camp with Marc, and when there’s a change, I’ll be the one to update you and there has been no change. The notion that he’s going to miss the whole year and [that] it’s this complex issue frankly is far from the truth.
“The symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome, that’s not diminishing that condition, but he’s in good spirits. He’s been seen by our doctors, he’ll continue to be seen by our doctors and he’ll be back shortly.”
Savard suffered the concussion on a March 7 hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. The play kept him out for the remainder of the regular season, though he did return for the Eastern Conference finals against the Flyers
|Post-concussion symptoms for Savard means Seguin will stick to center||09.17.10 at 1:17 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Friday at TD Garden that Marc Savard notified him late in the summer that he is suffering from “symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome.” As a result, Savard, who is in Boston with his teammates as they open training camp, will not skate. The symptoms shown by the veteran center are undoubtedly a result of the March 7 hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke.
Chiarelli said that as a result of the setback, second overall pick Tyler Seguin, expected to be moved to wing given the team’s depth at center, will stick to his original position for the time being.
“I suspect any time missed from camp for Savvy will have to be made up, just from pure conditioning and catching up,” Chiarelli said. “We’ll take it day by day, but we’re looking at other lineups now, with and without Savvy.”
Chiarelli noted that it’s been a few weeks since Savard has been able to work out after training hard throughout the earlier part of the offseason. His teammates and coach are hoping for a speedy recovery.
“It’s unfortunate,” Bruins coach Claude Julien said. “Right now we’re missing a real good player. …I think it’s pretty unanimous in our group that we want him back as soon as possible.”
Patrice Bergeron, no stranger to concussions when considering the 2007 hit from behind from Flyers Randy Jones, said he was made aware of the development on Friday and that he wishes Savard the best despite not having all the details. He didn’t know how to explain the negative turn Savard’s recovery has taken, but chalked that up to the nature of the injury.
“It’s so different from one guy to another with concussions. It’s hard to tell and that’s why it’s hard to treat,” Bergeron said. “That’s why doctors never really know what can and cannot happen. To me, it happened that way that it took me a long long time, that more than Savvy, and it didn’t come back but Savvy’s is coming back. It’s never the same, but I’m supporting him and I just want him to feel better.”
|Cam Neely can offer perspective on Marc Savard trade rumors||09.13.10 at 2:41 pm ET|
BOLTON — Cam Neely and Nathan Horton could be seen talking and laughing prior to teeing off at The International for the Bruins’ annual golf tournament on Monday. For Horton, his Bruins career has consisted of throwing out a first pitch at Fenway, playing street hockey with kids, scrimmaging with no coaches, surprising season-ticket holders by delivering their tickets with Milan Lucic, and now golfing. Given his excitement to be in Boston and factoring in all the aforementioned perks, one might dare to suggest that nobody is more excited for the 2010-11 season than Horton.
Except Neely, of course.
At his formal introduction as team president this summer, Neely spoke with passion of how the fans deserved more. Now on the other side of the offseason, Neely reinforced his line of thinking that the team has “unfinished business to take care of” and noted that he feels Peter Chiarelli and co. have put together “a much better club this year.”
Though Neely praised the talents of Horton and Tyler Seguin, the offseason’s other prize, he offered a unique perspective when discussing the subject of trade talks with returning players. Names such as Michael Ryder, Tim Thomas, and most notably Marc Savard came up frequently through either reports or speculation.
‘Speaking as a former player, you can’t worry about what’s out of your control. The way I looked at it when I was a player was, you hear about rumors and things that you can’t really control, you can’t worry about it.
“The only thing you can worry about are the stuff you can control, whether it’s in sports or in general. That’s how I approached it as a player and that’s how I would think most players would approach it. It’s always difficult if you hear your name mentioned in ways you don’t want it to be mentioned, but things you can’t control, you shouldn’t worry too much about.’
Neely knows a good amount about trades given the fact that he himself was dealt from the Canucks to the Bruins back in 1986. He can only hope that the team’s most recent trade for a big winger in Horton works out the way it did back then.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara