|Bruins still waiting for Marc Savard to arrive for evaluation||02.02.11 at 1:27 pm ET|
Bruins center Marc Savard hadn’t made it back to Boston as of Wednesday afternoon due to travel issues, with the team hoping he would end up arriving before the day’s end. Savard is set to be re-evaluated by team doctors after he spent the last week in Peterborough, Ontario resting following his second concussion in just over 10 months.
While the team will obviously learn more from further evaluation, Peter Chiarelli told ESPN this week that Bruins are considering shutting him down for the rest of the season in hopes that he can have a clean slate at the start of the 2011-12 campaign. After missing the first 23 games of the season with post-concussion syndrome stemming from last March’s Matt Cooke hit, Savard totaled two goals and eight assists for 10 points and had a minus-7 rating in 25 games.
Savard has suffered four concussions in his career. The 33-year-old is in the first year of a seven-year deal that carries an annual salary cap hit of $4.017.
|Claude Julien says Marc Savard ‘still has symptoms’||01.31.11 at 4:13 pm ET|
Bruins center Marc Savard is still back home in Peterborough, Ontario, as he continues to be out with his second concussion in just over 10 months. Savard suffered a concussion on Jan. 22 after he was hit into the boards by Colorado defenseman Matt Hunwick. Coach Claude Julien, in saying there is no update on how the center feels, said Savard will return to Massachusetts in the coming days.
“He’s going to be back [in Boston] tomorrow or the day after, I think, and he’s going to be re-evaluated, but ‘¦ he still has some symptoms,” Julien said. “That hasn’t totally disappeared, so we’ll let the medical people deal with him when he gets back here.
“Hopefully for his sake — not for the team’s sake, but more for his sake — he gets better. I think it’s important for the individual here, for a guy that’s gone through that, that he is taking care of himself. I think this organization — the medical staff, upper management, everybody — has always done the right thing as far as that’s concerned, and that won’t change.”
Savard missed the first 23 games of the season with post-concussion syndrome, the result of last March 17’s hit to the head from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. In 25 games this season, Savard has two goals and eight assists for 10 points. He has a minus-7 rating on the season.
|Mike Milbury on D&H: Bruins will be very conservative with Marc Savard||01.26.11 at 1:00 pm ET|
NESN hockey analyst Mike Milbury made his weekly appearance on the Dale & Holley show Wednesday. To hear the interview, go to the Dale & Holley audio on demand page.
Milbury gave his thoughts on the Marc Savard situation, after news broke Wednesday morning that Savard went home to Ontario to rest his head.
“With the two hits that he took recently, and now this reaction, I think long term is the way it’s going to be,” Milbury said. “Whether they do it officially or not is I guess another matter to discuss. Either way, they’re going to have to handle this one very delicately. We all know the concussion thing is a huge concern these days and a huge topic of discussion in the NHL. So, I think the Bruins will handle this one very conservatively.”
Milbury said people who want to remove the instigator penalty are barking up the wrong tree. “Does anybody really think that being able to go up and smack somebody in the head with his fist without the guy being ready is a really good thing for concussion prevention?” he said. “I just don’t get it when I hear the argument about the instigator penalty. You want to fight somebody, who cares about the two minutes? Just take the two minutes. But you’ve got to leave the instigator penalty in, and we can stop talking about it, in my opinion.”
When co-host Dale Arnold said he disagreed, Milbury deadpanned: “I know you disagree with me, but if I come up and smack you in the head, you might change your mind. And I’m likely to do it if you continue along this path.”
Milbury was asked his opinion of David Krejci. “He doesn’t look like he’s reacting as quickly as he has in the past,” Milbury said. “And I can’t tell that this is the reason why, but listen, he had a severe concussion last year. It took Patrice Bergeron a full year and then some to come back from that. It takes a lot of guys a full year to come back from an injury. That could be it. His timing seems to be OK, his vision seems to be OK, but he just doesn’t have that sharpness to his game that you like to see. But otherwise, it’s the same Krejci. It’s just the pace isn’t where I think it’s been at in the past.”
Milbury also opined on Michael Ryder: “They signed him to be a goal-scorer. He’s not. He’s going to be a 20-plus goal-scorer. He’s not a physical presence. He and [Blake] Wheeler are in the same boat, as far as I’m concerned. They put some effort into the game, I think there’s more there.”
As for Milan Lucic and his lack of physical play this season, Milbury said: “I firmly believe that if he doesn’t bring that [physical] element to his game, he sells himself short and his team short. He was, as you remember, in his rookie year, changing games not with scoring lots of goals but with momentum-changing hits and an occasional fight. Those are almost as important as scoring goals. And he doesn’t bring that that often anymore. I know he’s being dinged up a little bit. ‘¦ I’d like to see it a whole lot more often. I’d like to see it from the Bruins in general more often.”
|Milan Lucic says Marc Savard shouldn’t return this season if it ‘puts his life in jeopardy’||at 12:16 pm ET|
Bruins forward Milan Lucic spoke with concern about teammate and friend Marc Savard on Wednesday. Savard suffered his second concussion in less than a year when he banged his head against the glass Saturday in Colorado following a hit from Matt Hunwick.
Bruins coach Claude Julien said Wednesday that Savard has since returned home to Ontario to rest. Lucic noted that it’s tough to project when a player might return from a concussion, he would rather Savard do what’s best for his health than rush back.
“We hope that we get to see him back this year, but you’ve got to think for his health number one,” Lucic said. “You’ve got to make sure he makes a full recovery and doesn’t make a mistake in coming back too early and puts his life in jeopardy.”
Savard missed the final 18 games of the 2009-10 season after suffering a concussion on March 7 on a hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. He returned for the second round of the playoffs but went on to miss the first 23 games of this season with post-concussion syndrome. In 25 games with the B’s this season, the 33-year-old has two goals and eight assists for 10 points and a minus-7 rating.
|Aaron Ward on D&H: Marc Savard ‘understands the risk that he’s taking’||01.25.11 at 2:23 pm ET|
Former Bruins defenseman Aaron Ward joined the Dale & Holley show on Tuesday to discuss the status of B’s center and former teammate Marc Savard. The team announced Monday night that Savard, who missed the first 23 games of the season with post-concussion syndrome, had suffered another another concussion on Saturday vs. the Avalanche and will be out indefinitely.
Ward told Dale Arnold and Larry Ridley there isn’t much Savard can do to prevent further concussions, and he doesn’t feel the Bruins should take any extreme measures when it comes to handling Savard this season.
“No,” Ward said when asked whether the Bruins should shut Savard down for the season to be safe. “I was in Boston, and you have great doctors [there]. You have Mass. General doctors, everybody involved, they’re smart people. They went to school for umpteen years to qualify and be able to assess these players. The relationship between a player and a doctor is essential, and i think those guys have a great rapport with the players. Marc Savard will communicate to those doctors whether he can or can’t go. He’s a competitive guy.
“Doctors have to know when a guy isn’t built that way. You can tell if a guy is not really excited about getting back because there’s a fear of playing. If he doesn’t have any apprehension about going back out there and taking another hit, let him play. He understands that this is his career. If he has reservations about stepping out there, doctors should communicate it to the coaches and accept the fact that that’s the state of affairs. If it doesn’t exist, let him go out there, and he understands the risk that he’s taking by stepping out there.”
Ward played parts of three seasons with the Bruins from 2007 to 2009.
|Peter Chiarelli confirms Marc Savard has concussion||01.24.11 at 8:21 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli announced Monday night that center Marc Savard has suffered a moderate concussion and it out indefinitely following a hit he took Saturday from Avalanche defenseman Matt Hunwick. Savard flew back to Boston Sunday and underwent testing on Monday.
“After being examined by the Bruins medical staff today, Marc has been diagnosed with a moderate concussion,” Chiarelli said in a statement. “There is no timetable on his return and no further updates at this time.”
Savard was slow to get up after the second-period hit from his former teammate led to his head hitting the glass at the Pepsi Center. He had a cut on his head and held a towel to his face as he left the ice with the assistance of teammates and trainer Don DelNegro.
The center missed the first 23 games of the season as he worked to come back from post-concussion syndrome, which stemmed from the hit to the head he took last March 7 from Penguins forward Matt Cooke.
For a frame of reference, David Krejci‘s concussion on Nov. 6 was also deemed moderate on the mild-moderate-severe scale that is currently used to grade concussions. He returned on Nov. 20 after missing six games.
As the Bruins (21-14-7) await word on the status of Marc Savard, they will look to sweep their two-game road trip when they take on the Kings (25-22-1) at the Staples Center. The B’s and Kings last met at the Garden on Nov. 20, with the Kings winning, 4-3, in a shootout.
WHERE IT’S AT
– The Kings are 15-9-1 at home this season, and are 3-6-0 over their last nine home contests.
– The Bruins are 15-5-4 in away games this season. They have gotten at least one point in each of their road games since the Dec. 27 win over the Panthers, and are 6-0-3 over that stretch. Their last regulation road loss came on Dec. 16 vs. the Canadiens.
– The Bruins have averaged 4.0 goals a game since their 7-6 shootout loss to the Sabres on New Years Day. They had averaged 2.83 goals a night in the first 36 games of the season. Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand have seven goals apiece this month, while Zdeno Chara has six.
-Thornton’s 15 consecutive games without a goal is his longest such stretch of the season. It’s quite remarkable considering he went 72 straight games without a tally a season ago.
Thornton’s seven goals are a career-high, and he’s on pace for 12 this season.
STORYLINES GOING IN
– This road trip could have meant a visit with both of the Bruins’ cap causalities this season in Matt Hunwick (Colorado) and Marco Sturm (Los Angeles), but the B’s will have to settle with having seen Hunwick on Saturday. Knee tendinitis has Sturm on injured reserve, retroactive to Jan. 18.
The B’s traded the German winger to Los Angeles on Dec. 11 in a deal that landed them nothing in return, though the true prize of the trade was the freedom to proceed with the activation of Savard without having to worry about cap strife. In 15 games with the Kings this season, Sturm has four goals and four assists for eight points. He had 106 goals in parts of four seasons with the B’s after being acquired in the Joe Thornton trade.
– The Bruins have two games in hand when it comes to their race with the Lightning for the No. 2 spot in the Eastern Conference, but Tampa Bay grabbed another two points Sunday with a 7-1 win over the Thrashers. They have 65 points to the Bruins’ 61, while the B’s lead the Canadiens by two points in the Northeast Division.
– Should Thomas get the nod in net, he will have the opportunity to grab a piece of the league lead in wins, a category he hasn’t led since the beginning of the season. Jonas Hiller and Carey Price each have 24 victories this season, and with both the Ducks and Canadiens off Monday, Thomas (23-4-6) could make it a three-way tie. Thomas already leads the league in goals against average (1.83), save percentage (.945) and is tied with Henrik Lundqvist for a league-leading seven shutouts.
Thomas has not lost a game in regulation since Dec. 20. He is 8-0-3 in 11 games (10 starts) since then.