|Seguin, Horton toss out first pitches||06.29.10 at 9:19 pm ET|
BOSTON — Wrapping up the third and final stop of Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton’s introductory tour of Boston, the two new Bruins threw out ceremonial first pitches prior the Rays/Red Sox game Tuesday night. Click here for the slideshow or click the picture below for more.
BOSTON — Street hockey, that is. After meeting the press at the Garden less than four hours earlier, new Bruins Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton played some outdoor puck with local youths at Puopolo Park in the North End.
“It’s not too bad,” Seguin said of a day that has already seen an airplane and two media events. “The flight this morning was an hour long and then the press conference, then this. I think when Fenway Park kind of hits I think it’s going to be a long day, but it should be lots of fun.”
Seguin and Horton continued the fun by teaming with the local youths as part of the Bruins Street Brigade. The two seemed to enjoy the entire event (with the exception of Seguin getting hit with multiple balls that he jokingly wrote off as “blocked shots”).
“Back in Plymouth in the OHL we always tried to give back to the fans for all the support they’d given us, and this is a nice event to start off my experience here in Boston,” Seguin said. “Just to meet some of the fans and play a little hockey.”
The event got off to an interesting start, as the first two shots Tyler Seguin took as a member of the Boston Bruins were saved by an 11 year-old named Chris. Seguin continued to take warmup shots with the kids while advising them on basics, such as how to curve a stick.
Once the game kicked off, it was fairly apparent Seguin and Horton appear to have developed quite the rapport as they spend the entire day together. After Horton’s team scored their fourth goal, former Bruin Tommy Songin shouted , “Horton with the assist!” Seguin immediately responded with “Horton with his first point of the game! He finally decides to get out there and do something.”
Based on what Horton told the media before the game, he could have taken offense. Asked if he played street hockey as a child, he responded, “All the time.”
“That’s the thing to do when you’re little: play street hockey and play it all day long,” Horton said. “I did it all the time and still continue to play.”
Meanwhile, Seguin, who didn’t shy away from talking to his fans (he even sarcastically called a kid out for cherry-picking), used the game to shake the rust off for developmental camp, which will take place July 6-10.
“I haven’t played hockey in about two weeks, so this is getting me ready for next week’s development camp,” Seguin said.
There were a few laughable points of the event, with perhaps none being funnier than the awkward encounter that occured when a youth told Seguin that acquaintance and OHL/draft stock rival Taylor Hall “is not even that good.” Seguin didn’t respond but smirked as he looked down.
On the contrary, however, Horton and Seguin actually contributed quite a bit to the game, with Seguin adding a valuable defensive presence to the black team (a.k.a the “Bruins) and Horton setting up gold team (“Better Bruins”) youngsters. The Bruins won the game, as a local named Huey notched a hat trick and recieved a Bruins gift bag from Seguin and Horton for his hard work.
|Photo slideshow: Seguin and Horton’s Introduction||at 2:02 pm ET|
|Tyler’s first day: ‘It’s amazing’||at 12:58 pm ET|
On the first stop of Tyler and Nathan’s tour of Boston, the newcomers Tyler Seguin (second overall pick in the 2010 NHL draft) and Nathan Horton (acquired in a trade last week with the Panthers) just finished meeting the media. From here they will go to the North End for a youth hockey clinic and later head to Fenway Park to throw out ceremonial first pitches prior to Tuesday night’s Rays/Red Sox game.
Though the 18-year old Seguin fielded a ton of questions and had to deal with the talk that surrounds being the first to wear No. 19 since Joe Thornton, it was actually Horton who was shaking and seemed extremely anxious to finally play for a contending team.
“For me personally, it’s a dream come true to come to such a stable, successful, and historic organization,” Horton said. “I couldn’t be more excited or nervous. I can’t wait for it to start. I’m excited to be a Boston Bruin and be part of the Bruin family.
“For me, obviously, it was fun to play with Florida where I started my career,” Horton added. “Once again, it’ll be a little different here. There are so many things running through my head right now. I’m just excited.”
Meanwhile, Seguin, who last week spoke of his excitement to play in a “hockey town” such as Boston, can today learn that the devoted fans in New England don’t stop at hockey.
“It’s amazing,” Seguin said of playing in not only a hockey town, but a global sports landmark. “I’d been here once before and I just thought it was a phenomenal place. I got to meet some of the fans and I can already see the atmosphere that’s going to be formed here.”
As for that first pitch, Seguin admitted he doesn’t have much experience on the diamond outside a round of batting practice taken last week at Angel Stadium prior to the draft.
“I’ve never really played baseball before,” Seguin said, “but I was practicing yesterday and hopefully today goes good.”
Not that there is an unbalanced interest in either of the two offenses forces to join the Bruins, but there was certainly a difference in media reaction when Seguin held up his new number alongside Horton’s No. 18.
Many of the questions Seguin then answered were about the number, which he had planned on wearing in juniors but never got the chance to in Plymouth. He then wore No. 9, which is obviously retired in Boston for Johnny Bucyk, so he finally took the opportunity to pay tribute to his favorite player in Steve Yzerman.
“What we talked about it, but what Tyler and I spoke about was, ‘Look, you’re getting a number, Ty,’” Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said. I think he’s very humble. He’s nervous, but he’s also very humble and he was like, ‘Look, Peter. I know I have to earn a spot.’ As far as it relates to Thornton, no, I’m not concerned about that.”
Seguin doesn’t seemed too concerned with it either.
“That’s OK,” Seguin said of the expectations that come with the number. “Obviously I still have to make the NHL club, but if you’re going to compare me to guys like that, obviously I’d be thrilled.”
We’ll have another update following the youth hockey clinic, so stick with us throughout the day.
|Welcome to Stop One of the Tyler and Nathan tour||at 11:20 am ET|
BOSTON — Tyler Seguin and Nathan Horton have big days ahead of them, as they’re set to be introduced to the media here at the Garden shortly. Following that, they’ll head to the North End for a Bruins Street Brigade youth hockey clinic. From there, they’ll head over to Fenway for some first pitch action. Myself and John Vu will be following the two newcomers throughout the day, posting blog entries and photos at each stop.
|Seguin, Horton to be in Boston Tuesday||06.28.10 at 4:49 pm ET|
Bruins second overall pick Tyler Seguin and newly acquired right winger Nathan Horton will be in Boston tomorrow to meet the press, participate in a Bruins Street Brigade youth hockey clinic at the Puopolo Park basketball court in the North End, and throw out the first pitch at the Red Sox/Rays game at Fenway.
Seguin can do it all on the ice, but one can only hope his form on the mound is prettier than his swing.
|Chiarelli on Horton, draft, free agents||06.23.10 at 3:31 pm ET|
It was a foregone conclusion that this week was going to be gigantic for the Bruins in some way, shape, or form, and with two days to go until the NHL draft, Peter Chiarelli and co. got a head start on making headlines by flipping the 15th overall pick and defenseman Dennis Wideman to the Florida Panthers in exchange for right winger Nathan Horton and center Gregory Campbell.
As the draft grows nearer and the Bruins come closer to finally making the second overall selection after months of buildup, the team that finished the regular season last in the NHL goals suddenly appears to be in very good shape to have a notably upgraded scoring force. From how Chiarelli spoke, that may start with Horton.
“He’s tremendous shooter, Nathan. He’s a big body, he can skate, he can play physical. There’s a lot of things to like about him, and we’re going to be getting a highly skilled forward with the No. 2 pick with some speed.
“We thing at the end of the day, if we do nothing else to our forwards, we’re adding an established big power-forward shooter and a real speedy young legs skill guy. We’re happy with that.”
On the subject of the embattled Wideman, Chiarelli called the team’s playoff points leader last year a “key part of our defense that we had to give up.” In making the trade, however, the Bruins were able to shake things up offensively without disturbing the core of the team.
“It wasn’t about changing the culture,” Chiarelli said. “It was just about changing the makeup of the team after the ups and downs. I am relatively happy with the room and the personalities in it. It was more of the makeups, [or] semantics maybe.”
Even with Wideman gone and the shot at Cam Fowler seemingly out the window, Chiarelli said adding another defenseman was “not a pressing urgency” and that though the team likes puck-moving defensemen, whichever defender(s) may be added won’t necessarily fit that mold.
“If we do add something, it may not be purely what you’d characterize as a ‘puck mover,’” Chiarelli said.
Chiarelli once again reiterated that if a deal does happen with Edmonton in order to secure whomever the Bruins prefer between Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin (they do hold one in slightly higher regard), the actual picks are unlikely to be swapped, and the Oilers would simply take the other player first overall.
Should they stay put, they won’t face the pressure that is on the Oilers to take the right guy. Hall and Seguin have been hyped as equally elite superstars in the making. So would the Bruins dare invest heavily into what would ultimately be a very difficult choice between the two players?
“If you make an informed decision, I think ‘risk’ is a better word than ‘courage,’” Chiarelli said. “We put that into our equation. It may be that the price that I have to pay to do that is unattainable. I can’t meet it. I’m not at that point yet.
“These are things that we look at. We look at the risk involved, we look at the fit, we look at the kids, we brought both kids in. There’s a lot involved in making this decision.”
The only real news that came in the conference call involved the team’s free agents. Regarding restricted free agents, Chiarelli said he will give a qualifying offer to Campbell. The Bruins blog reported last week that Mark Stuart and Blake Wheeler had also received offers.
As for unrestricted free agents, Chiarelli said he has kept in contact with the agents for Mark Recchi and Johnny Boychuk but that he had nothing to report. The team has also told Steve Begin that they won’t be able to potentially negotiate with him until after free agency opens, as the team is “looking at other options.” Chiarelli has not yet spoken to anyone from Miroslav Satan.
- Grand Theft Czechoslovakia. Bruins win 3-2
- Loui Eriksson concussed; Chris Kelly, Shawn Thornton will not travel on...
- Video: Don Cherry talks about the Thornton and Orpik incident
- Public Skate Third Period: Bruins 1, Penguins 2
- Orpik hit on Eriksson and the Thornton hit on Orpik: Both are terrible
- Public Skate Second Period: Bruins 1, Penguins 2