|No change in Nathan Horton’s status, but Rich Peverley will travel with Bruins||03.20.12 at 12:39 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins coach Claude Julien said after Tuesday’s optional practice that forward Rich Peverley will join the team on its upcoming three-game west coast road trip.
Peverley has not played since Feb. 15 due to a knee sprain, but started skating again last Wednesday. He has yet to take physical contact, but is considered day-to-day by the team.
Julien also said that there is no news regarding the status of concussed forward Nathan Horton, and that the winger will not be traveling with the team.
“No, same old same old,” Julien said of Horton. “Nothing different. He’s still working out but not on the ice yet.”
Horton has not played since Jan. 22. He has 17 goals and 15 assists for 32 points in 46 games this season
|Johnny Boychuk has concussion, Bruins not sure when Nathan Horton will return||02.27.12 at 6:02 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Monday at TD Garden that defenseman Johnny Boychuk has a mild concussion after taking a hard hit from Senators forward Chris Neil Saturday.
The Bruins added two defenseman at Monday’s trade deadline in Greg Zanon and Mike Mottau, and when Boychuk is healthy, the B’s will have eight blueliners.
As for Nathan Horton, who is still out with a concussion, Chiarelli said that he expects the forward back before the end of the regular season, but that he isn’t certain.
“I expect him back, but with these things, I don’t know,” he said.
Chiarelli said that he would have liked to add two forwards at the deadline, but that the deals weren’t there to be made.
With the NHL trade deadline just hours away, NESN Bruins studio analyst Barry Pederson joined Mut & Merloni Monday afternoon to talk about what the Bruins need to improve and what kind of moves they should make, if any.
Very few major moves have been made by any teams, but Pederson said that he would be more surprised if the Bruins made no move than if they made a major trade.
“I think they need some depth, especially when Andrew Ference went down, that really showed me that you needed another left-handed defenseman,” Pederson said. “I would look for them to try to add that because I know that Dennis Seidenberg can play the right side, he showed that and then some in the playoffs what he could do when he’s with [Zdeno] Chara, and I think they’ll want to do that come playoff time again.
“I think you want to get some depth up front for the reasons we just talked about — you’re not sure what’s going to happen with Nathan [Horton], you’re hoping he can come back, and Rich Peverley with that knee injury, you never know what they’re going to be like.”
That being said, Pederson noted that the Bruins would be wise to not jeopardize the promising future that they have with their current roster.
“They’re still in great, great shape,” Pederson said. “They’ve got a great core, they’re well-positioned salary cap-wise, they’re young, they’re talented, they’re physical, they’re packing the building over here.
“The Bruins fans are excited not only because of last year’s win, but if you look ahead and you go, ‘You know what? Barring any major injuries, this organization is built to be good for a number of years to come.’ ”
Part of the reason the Bruins should be weary of a major trade, to Pederson, is that trades often come with a wide array of variables and can often backfire.
“The difficult part with that, and it’s the same thing I’m sure the Rangers are kind of talking about and Pittsburgh with [Sidney] Crosby, is you have concussions and you also have great chemistry, and that’s something that you can’t take for granted,” Pederson said. “One of the major reasons for the Bruins to be so successful in that Cup run last year was they had each other’s back.
“It was an all-for-one, one-for-all type of mentality. The Rangers, I think, have that right now, I think Pittsburgh’s getting that. That, to me, is so important.”
|Brad Marchand on M&M: Actions of Canadians fans ‘just embarrassing’||02.17.12 at 2:56 pm ET|
Bruins forward Brad Marchand made his weekly appearance on Mut & Merloni Friday afternoon to discuss his criticism of Canadians fans and his father’s role in keeping him stable after the Stanley Cup last summer, among other things.
After Canadiens fans cheered Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara getting hit in the face with a puck in the Bruins’ 4-3 win Wednesday, Marchand was publicly outspoken about the fans’ reaction. To him, it was a disrespectful move that is never justified in sports, no matter what teams are playing.
“Anytime a guy gets hurt, you have to respect the fact that he’s out there doing his job, trying to make a living,” Marchand said. “It’s a dangerous sport, it’s a dangerous game and when people are cheering…if he takes a puck in the throat, it could have been a really bad situation. The fact that they were cheering when he got hurt, it’s just embarrassing.”
Marchand has found himself in the news recently for his off-the-ice actions, as he revealed in a recent Sports Illustrated interview that he was too drunk to appear in the Bruins’ commemorative championship DVD. He admitted that he had too much fun in the aftermath of winning the Stanley Cup, but that his father was a crucial figure in helping him stay in line.
“He sat me down after a while and was actually really upset with me, just like, ‘You’re taking it too far, you’ve only won it one time. I don’t want you to win it once, I want you to win it three or four [times],’” Marchand said. “So he said, ‘If you win two Cups in the next three years, I’ll leave you alone and let you celebrate and party the way you want to. He said, ‘Until then, I’m going to be all over you until you do it again.’ I like the challenge.” Read the rest of this entry »
|Claude Julien says Nathan Horton ‘back to square one’ in recovery from concussion||02.10.12 at 12:21 pm ET|
When Bruins coach Claude Julien frustratingly declared Tuesday that he was “done talking about” Nathan Horton‘s progress after he was supposed to have skated Sunday, something seemed fishy. As it turns out, Horton has indeed had a setback.
Julien said after Friday’s practice that Horton did not react well to skating earlier this week, and is “back to square one” in his recovery from his latest concussion.
“He’s been pulled back,” Julien said. “He’s got some symptoms, so we pulled him back. That’s why I said as far as for me to come out every and [say there's a] step forward, a step backward. He’s back to square one and we’re giving him some time here. Those symptoms, once he got back on the ice, came back.”
Horton rode the stationary bike late last week and took to the ice on Sunday, but when symptoms returned, the team pulled the first-line winger back.
Horton suffered his second concussion since June on a hit from Philadelphia’s Tom Sestito on Jan. 22. His concussion has kept him out of the last six games.
|Claude Julien ‘done talking’ about Nathan Horton’s condition||02.07.12 at 12:38 pm ET|
WILMINGTON — Bruins coach Claude Julien offered no update on the condition of forward Nathan Horton, who resumed skating recently after suffering his second concussion since June.
“Guys, protocol is protocol,” Julien said when asked about Horton. “When you see him on the ice with us, he’s moving in the right direction.”
Julien was then asked another question about how Horton feels since skating, and the coach went into detail as to why he’s staying quiet on the matter.
“Guys, I’m done talking about it,” Juien said. “I look at every team that has guys with concussions, and guys, you’ve got to give him a chance to let him go through the things. I can’t give you an update every day on this guy because it could be long, it could be short. When you see him on the ice with us, it’s going to be a really good sign, so we’ll leave it at that. I don’t have the answer, so I’m not going to give you an answer. We don’t know what concussions are all about. There’s forward steps, there’s backwards steps. I can’t just come out here every day and give you guys an update, because it doesn’t make sense.”
Horton was injured in the Bruins’ 6-5 shootout win over the Flyers on Jan. 22 on a hit from Philadelphia forward Tom Sestito. There was no discipline from the league on the play.
|Nathan Horton rides stationary bike, Bruins recall Jordan Caron from Providence||02.04.12 at 1:00 pm ET|
Bruins forward Nathan Horton is progressing in his recovery from the concussion he suffered last month, as coach Claude Julien told reporters prior to Saturday’s game that the right wing rode the stationary bike for the first time on Friday.
Horton has not played since being hit by Flyers forward Tom Sestito on Jan. 22. It his second concussion since last June, as he suffered a severe concussion in Game 3 of the Stanley Cup finals.
The Bruins also recalled forward Jordan Caron, though Julien told reporters the 2009 first-round pick will not be in the lineup Saturday.
Caron has been sent to the AHL six times this season, and in 17 games, he has four goals and nine assists for 13 points. The 21-year-old has been hot of late, with two goals and an assist over his last three games.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5