|Peter Chiarelli: Bruins are seeing some form of Stanley Cup hangover||10.25.11 at 8:33 pm ET|
It’s the oldest cliche in the book, but one that it seems is worth believing.
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a conference call Tuesday that he believes the Bruins’ 3-5-0 start is, on some level, the team suffering from a Stanley Cup hangover. The defending champs have failed to capitalize on scoring chances, and have scored as many goals as they’ve allowed (19).
“I’ve talked to GMs and coaches and players that have been through this,” Chiarelli said. “They have different stories, but they all say there’s something that happens that you can’t avoid. Malaise is too strong of a word, but it’s just a bit of a cloud right now. I know one team said it took them 20 games before they were back to normal. There’s no easy answer, and I’m not using it as a crutch. It’s something that we expected, and talking to the guys to start the year, we’ve just got to deal with it.”
The Bruins have not played since Saturday’s 4-2 loss to the Sharks and will not play again until they host the Canadiens Thursday at TD Garden.
“I’m obviously not happy with where we are in the standings, but this is new to us,” Chiarelli said. “I don’t want to overreact, and unfortunately we have to do it game-by-game.”
|Hangover? It’s only a movie to the Bruins as they’re ready to defend title||10.04.11 at 5:59 pm ET|
As the players spoke one after another at media day Tuesday, they all sounded like they knew it was coming. How are the Bruins going to deal with wearing the crown in 2011?
Some teams have handled it very well, like the 2009 Red Wings, who made it back to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals the next year before losing to Sidney Crosby and the Penguins on home ice. Some others have had a lot more difficulty. The 2010 Cup champs – the Blackhawks – had to back in to the playoffs last year on the last day when the Stars lost to Minnesota.
The Blackhawks seemed doomed in the first round before battling back from 3-0 down, only to lose in OT in Game 7 to Vancouver. Those close to the team publicly expressed a fatigue in the first two months of the season as the Blackhawks tried to get their legs back under them.
So, how are the Bruins prepared to handle success starting Thursday night against the Flyers?
“I don’t know about all that hangover stuff or whatever, I just know we are ready for the season to begin,” chirped Bruins enforcer Shawn Thornton, who won his first Cup with the Ducks in 2007. “I literally don’t know. This is my second one. All I know, when you get that first one, all you want to do is win another one. You win two, all you want is to do is win three.
“Listen, there’ll be times in the this season where we’ll be down and I’m sure you guys [media] will jump all over the fact because it’s something to write about. There’s ups and downs throughout a whole season and as long as we keep it even keel and continue to have a steady climb, getting ready for wherever we’re going to go, I think that’s the most important thing. That’s what we were so good at last year, not letting the highs get too high and the lows get too low.”
|Quick hits from Brad Marchand and Peter Chiarelli conference call||09.14.11 at 5:27 pm ET|
Here are a few highlights from Bruins forward Brad Marchand and general manager Peter Chiarelli from Wednesday’s conference call after Marchand signed a new two-year deal:
On getting a deal done before camp:
“From the get go I never was going to miss a day of camp. I never wanted that. I wanted to be here the first day. I wanted to show I wanted to be here and go through the whole camp with the guys and be a part of the team. I was very happy that it didn’t have to come down to that, and we were able to get the deal done before camp, so now we can just move forward.”
On the term of the deal:
“It’s a great fit for both of us. I’m happy with the term. We talked about a little longer [deal] and I think that was just more about a little more security, but I think this was just a perfect fit for both parties.”
On whether he will become an unrestricted free agent after the contract expires in 2012-13:
“No, I believe I still have two more years.”
“It took a little while, but I’m very happy to sign Brad to two years. He was a terrific performer in the playoffs, a clutch performer and just loves to play, plays on the edge, and we’re really excited to have him with the Bruins for two more years.”
On getting the deal done before camp:
“It was important. I didn’t think that it would get to that stage. Brad’s always told me that he wants to be here, and be part of the Bruins, and I know the works that Don Sweeney put in and Brad’s representative, they put in some good time. I had a feeling it would get done. It’s nice to finish this business before camp, because you fall behind in camp and it’s hard to catch up. I didn’t think it would get to that stage and it didn’t.”
On whether a longer deal was discussed:
“In these negotiations, you talk about a lot of different things. We did with this one, and we found that this term was probably best for both parties, and it gives some security. It gives Brad the ability to come back in a couple of years and negotiate with us again. It was just something that was a fit here, but we did talk about a bunch of different terms.”
On whether other deals signed influence negotiations:
“These are all comparables, and there’s a whole list of comparables that you talk about. it was something that we worked on throughout the summer. Deal’s come up, we discuss deals, we discuss where our offers are, etc. Eventually you get a deal done.”
|Did Nathan Horton’s separated shoulder limit him more than concussion?||09.12.11 at 12:02 pm ET|
BOLTON — One of the more interesting tidbits to emerge from Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli in the days following the Bruins’ Stanley Cup championship was that Nathan Horton, who was shut down after his Game 3 concussion, had also been playing the latter part of the postseason with a separated shoulder.
On Monday, Horton talked about the shoulder for the first time of the preseason, saying that his recovery from the injury was just as big a deal as that of his concussion.
“It definitely was my shoulder too, as well as my concussion,” Horton said. “Now I feel good, I feel a lot better than I did. ‘¦ We still have another month before the season starts, so I’ll be ready to go.”
Horton added that when he had to take a little longer before beginning workouts, it was because of the shoulder.
“I think so,” Horton said when asked whether the shoulder limited him more in the offseason than the concussion. “For a little bit there, for sure, I could have started a little bit earlier, but I took some time off. I guess that’s what happens during the playoffs, right? The season’s so long. Everyone battled through a lot of different injuries. I guess that’s what it’s all about. You want to do that, you want to be able to battle through. In the end, that’s all that matters. We won the Stanley Cup because of people battling through injuries.”
Horton suffered the injury in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference finals, but it certainly wasn’t the notable thing he did in the Bruins’ 1-0. Horton scored the lone goal of the game, taking a pass from David Krejci and tipping it past Dwayne Roloson in the third period to send the B’s to the Stanley Cup finals. After a hit from Canucks’ defenseman Aaron Rome ended his postseason, he was able to remain around the team to celebrate the team’s championship.
|Report: Savard still has headaches, expected to miss camp||07.29.11 at 1:02 am ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli has told the Boston Globe that center Marc Savard is still dealing with post-concussion symptoms, as the center continues to experience headaches stemming from his latest concussion. The report notes that “barring an immediate turnaround in his condition,” Savard will not be ready for training camp.
Savard, who missed the beginning of last season due to post-concussion syndrome, was once again shut down for the year after taking a routine hit from former teammate Matt Hunwick in the Bruins’ Jan. 22 contest vs. the Avalanche.
As a result of all the concussion issues, Savard played in just 25 games last season, 14 short of the 41 (or one in the finals) required for one to get their name on the Stanley Cup. The Bruins petitioned for both Savard and Steven Kampfer (38 regular-season games) to get their names on the trophy, but the report notes there is no news on the matter. Savard will have his day with the Cup on Monday.
|Report: Bruins sign Jared Knight, Ryan Spooner||07.19.11 at 11:52 am ET|
According to Kirk Luedeke (one of, if not the best, hockey prospects writer out there) of the New England Hockey Journal, the Bruins have signed both of their 2010 second-round picks in right wing Jared Knight and center Ryan Spooner to three-year entry level deals.
The signings of the player in no way impacts their standing with the big club, as the 19-year-olds would both have to return to their OHL clubs if they don’t make the Bruins this season. They do not have AHL eligibility for the full season given that they are under 20 and haven’t played four years of junior hockey. Both did finish last season in Providence, however on amateur tryout agreements. Knight had a pair of assists in three games, while Spooner had two goals and an assist in his three contests.
Knight, selected 32nd overall in 2010, was a product of the Phil Kessel trade, as the pick used to select him was acquired in the Sept. 2009 deal. He had 25 goals and 45 assists for 70 points for London (OHL) last season. Spooner, selected 45th overall, had 35 goals and 46 assists between Peterborough and Kingston (both of the OHL) last season.
Both players were singled out by B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli as players who impressed at this summer’s development camp.
‘For a guy like Spooner, one of the things that we told him at the end of last year and at development camp and at training camp, was he has to put the time in to get better, to get stronger, to get bigger,” Chiarelli said. “And he did. He did do that, and all the testing showed that. There’s still room to improve, but you could tell, we take the testing very seriously and Ryan put the time in and you could see it in his play. He had a little more spring in his step with the puck, he had a little more bulk in his, he was able to protect the puck a little bit better.
‘You see it firsthand, so a guy like Knight, he was already last year in tremendous shape and this year he’s even improved.’
|Peter Chiarelli: Bruins approaching other expiring contracts on case-by-case basis||07.14.11 at 6:26 pm ET|
Speaking to the media via conference call, Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid called the decision to take a three-year extension with the B’s Thursday a “no-brainer,” adding, “I really couldn’t picture myself being with any other team or being anything but a Bruin.”
The 24-year-old would have been a restricted free agent after the upcoming season, but this deal will keep him in Boston until 2015.
B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli called McQuaid “a bit of a poster child” for the organization’s development program, as he spent over two seasons in Providence (AHL) before becoming a regular on the B’s blue line during their Stanley Cup championship season. After beginning the season as a healthy scratch, McQuaid saw action due to injuries on the Bruins’ blue line, and his work allowed the B’s to trade Mark Stuart.
“He found his way into this lineup and now is a really solid contributor with his size his toughness his range,” Chiarelli said. “We continue to see him improve, he’s still at a young age and we felt fortunate to be able to lock him up for the foreseeable future.”
Chiarelli noted that while it was good to get a deal done with one of the players entering the last year of their deals, it was not a sign that the B’s will also extend the others (a group that includes David Krejci and Tuukka Rask) before the season begins.
“This was a case of both parties coming together and reaching a real good deal for both parties,” Chiarelli said. “We don’t always go out early and try to sign guys before their deals are done.”
As for the Bruins’ current restricted free agent, Chiarelli offered no update on negotiations with forward Brad Marchand.
“I’m just not going to comment eye time i go to the media,” the GM said. “There’s been discussions, we feel there’s been progress, and that’s where I’ll leave it.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Brad Marchand's Hot Streak a Big Reason for the Boston Bruins' Recent...
- Prospect Depth Allows BOS to Not Rush Pastrnak
- Seth Griffith Fitting in on the First Line with the Boston Bruins
- Bruins' Depleted Defense Returns to Reality in Loss to Wild
- Bruins' Patrice Bergeron Records 500th Career Point
- Bruins Players Dress Up as 'Frozen' Characters
- Looking at Bruins Defensive Pairings Without Chara