|Source: Horton likely to move, not necessarily to B’s||06.20.10 at 10:47 pm ET|
It appears the Bruins may not be on the verge of acquiring Florida Panthers forward Nathan Horton, according to a source close to the situation. Reports surfaced this weekend that the Bruins had been closing in on a trade for the former third overall pick, but the Bruins were just one of multiple teams to nearly have a deal with the Panthers in the past few days.
“They were close, as were a few other teams,” the source said of the Bruins’ chances of getting Horton. It was unclear where a potential trade stood as of Sunday night.
The Panthers selected Horton in the 2003 NHL draft after flipping the top overall pick to the Penguins (Marc-Andre Fleury). The 25-year-old has never surpassed 62 points in his six-year NHL career and has scored 30 goals in just one season, a 2006-2007 campaign in which he gathered 31.
A natural right wing, Horton was moved to center in the 2008-2009 season. The Panthers have been trying to move Horton and his contract, which calls for cap hits of $4 million in each of the next three seasons. The source was confident the Panthers will succeed in doing so, saying a deal “will get done with someone sure enough.”
Horton has also been linked to the Maple Leafs recently. It is unknown what the Bruins have offered or are offering the Panthers in a potential trade.
|Oilers GM: Bruins haven’t made offer for top pick||06.10.10 at 4:31 pm ET|
As rumors swirl regarding what the Bruins may or may not be offering Steve Tambellini in exchange for the first overall pick in this month’s NHL draft, the Oilers general manager confirmed Thursday that he has spoken to his Boston counterpart in Peter Chiarelli — just not about the pick.
“Last time I talked to Peter was the general managers’ meetings in Philly [between Games 3 and 4 of the Stanley Cup finals]. Peter hasn’t thrown any names at me. No proposals. But I’m all ears,” Tambellini told the Edmonton Journal.
“I don’t know what it take to give up the first pick overall in this year’s draft. I know there will be proposals and I’m looking forward to seeing what they might be, but I don’t know if I would recommend to [Oilers president of hockey operations] Kevin (Lowe) or our ownership that we should move the first pick,” Tambellini told the paper.
Hall of Fame writer Jim Matheson of the Journal writes in the report that Tembellini is “almost surely not giving up the first pick.” The Oilers brought highly coveted Windsor Spitfires left wing and anticipated top pick Taylor Hall in on Wednesday and were set to make him available to the media shortly after. If a trade isn’t made, the Bruins, who pick second, will take whomever is left between Hall and Plymouth Whalers center Tyler Seguin. Tambellini insists the team has yet to settle on who they will select.
“I don’t think there’s a wrong answer here … There’s lots of reasons to go either way,” Tambellini told the paper. “But it’s getting clearer as to what may be separating the players. We’re not making our final decision until the very end. We’ve told both kids we’re going to do that.”
The Bruins have already met with both Hall and Seguin and have ammunition for a trade in the form of the 15th and 32nd overall picks, as well as two picks in each of the first two rounds of the 2011 draft.
|Chiarelli maintains Segiun and Hall are neck-and-neck||06.04.10 at 3:38 pm ET|
What you’re about to read may come as earth-shattering news, so you might want to sit down as you read this: The Boston Bruins like both Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin a lot and claim to not prefer one by a large margin. Deep breaths.
“I’ve been quoted as saying they’re really close and I’ll contnue to say that because that’s what they are for us,” Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said Friday in a conference call with the media. “They were both very good interviews up in Toronto [at the NHL Scouting Combine] and I had a good meeting with the Seguins in Brampton and I certainly would anticipate the same with the Halls in Kingston.”
Chiarelli is planning to visit Hall’s parents in the next two weeks, but a source told WEEI.com this week that Hall will be with the Bruins this weekend meeting with Chiarelli and other front office members. Seguin will also visit Boston, a place he spoke highly of recently with WEEI.com, though it is unknown when he will make the trip.
The Bruins, who also choose 15th overall and have two selections in the second round, have been putting in more work than simply getting caught up in the Taylor/Tyler craze. There are plenty of players, whether they be Hall’s Windsor teammates in defenseman Cam Fowler and forward Austin Watson or whomever, who could fill serious needs with Boston.
“The fact that we have four picks in the first round and a half, you know, we always pay attention to these things but you’ve really got to focus in on your target guys and the guys that you want and where they should be slotted,” Chiarelli said.
“This is a deep draft, and I know you may hear that on a yearly basis but I’m more in touch with it this year because we have so many high picks. We’ll continue to bring some kids in and we’ll probably finish doing that halfway through next week.”
As for the Big Bad Board (had to make it less football-sounding somehow), are the Bruins set in stone on who they want with the second, or even 15th or 32nd picks for that matter? In a word, no.
“You tweak a little bit,” Chiarelli said. “You put the list up, you generate the list and then you reserve the right to change it based on testing interviews and then your smaller group gets together and you talk about the issues on certain players. It’s not firm until the morning of.”
|Thornton: ‘I wanted to be a Bruin as long as possible’||at 2:37 pm ET|
Speaking with the media Friday afternoon in a conference call, newly re-upped Bruins forward Shawn Thornton and general manager Peter Chiarelli hit on what led to the tough winger’s two-year extension.
“I wanted to be a Bruin as long as possible,” Thornton said. I love the city, I love being here and I’m still here so I’m really happy to be back and I’m glad we could make it happen.”
With the team just three weeks away from adding a wunderkind prospect in the NHL draft, Chiarelli spoke of what it means to retain a key veteran when seeing an influx of youth.
“It’s important to have any good veteran to help out with the younger guys,” Chiarelli said. “Shawn’s career path has not been the easiest and he commands a level of respect for that reason. … He’s put in his time and he’s put in his work and he’s been rewarded for it.”
“It was a good decision that we made, it was a relatively easy decision that we made and we’re happy to have him back.”
|Report: Chiarelli discussing No. 2 pick with teams||06.02.10 at 6:00 pm ET|
According to a very brief report by Darren Dreger of TSN.ca, Bruins general manager has fielded phone calls regarding the second overall pick in this month’s NHL Draft.
“Chiarelli says that over the past couple of days, teams have inquired about his interest in trading the second overall pick in this month’s NHL draft,” Dreger writes, adding that Chiarelli also said he and the Oilers have and will continue to discuss a deal that would involve a swap of the top two picks in the draft.
The idea of the Bruins talking with the Oilers isn’t exactly news, though the notion of the team moving down from the second slot is certainly interesting. The team already has the 15th and 32nd overall selections in addition to the Maple Leafs’ first-rounder next year, so common logic would suggest the Bruins should stay put and land Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin rather than stockpiling more premium picks.
Teams discuss picks and players all the time — it’s simply part of due diligence — so the recommendation here is to not get carried away with the report. All things equal, it would be surprising if a GM with Chiarelli’s intelligence moved away from an opportunity at Hall or Seguin without outrageous return (think Lindros deal).
|Sturm undergoes successful knee surgery||05.18.10 at 2:57 pm ET|
Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli issued a press release Tuesday afternoon announcing that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery to repair his right knee. The surgery entailed ACL reconstruction, MCL repair and partial lateral meniscectomy and was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Massachusetts General Hospital. Sturm injured the knee in the first period of Game 1 of the Eastern Conference semifinals when he pushed off to make a check on Flyers defenseman Matt Carle and torqued his knee on the ice at TD Garden. Sturm is expected to rehab for six months.
Here is the press release from the Bruins media relations staff:
Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli announced today that forward Marco Sturm underwent successful surgery on his right knee. The surgery — which entailed a right knee ACL reconstruction, MCL repair, and partial lateral meniscectomy — was performed by Dr. Peter Asnis at Mass General Hospital.
Sturm sustained a torn ACL and a torn MCL in his right knee during the first period of the Bruins-Flyers game on Saturday, May 1 (Game 1).
His expected recovery time is an estimated six months post-surgery.
Sturm is a veteran of 855 NHL regular-season games and has registered 234 goals and 232 assists for 466 points in his career. The 31-year-old tallied 22 goals and 15 assists during the 2009-10 season, marking the seventh time in his career he surpassed the 20-goal plateau. He played in seven playoff games this season and has scored eight goals and tallied 11 assists in 52 postseason games for San Jose and Boston.
|Bruins 2010-11 salary breakdown||05.16.10 at 12:01 pm ET|
Here is a little primer for some of the end of season review we will be putting together. These are the salaries and approximate cap hits for the Bruins in the 2010-11 season. Peruse the list and you will find that the Bruins are well equipped to turn over this roster in the next couple of years if general manager Peter Chiarelli decides to do so (and he is still employed) as only Marc Savard is signed passed 2012-13. Next year the Bruins are looking at an approximate $46.14 salary cap hit with 18 players signed that count to the NHL roster but takes into account players that could spend time in the AHL next season.
Note: Restricted free agents (RFA), Unrestricted free agents (UFA).
Marc Savard — $ 7 million ($5 million) — Last year 2013-14 UFA
Patrice Beregron — $ 5.75 million ($4.75 cap) — Last year 2010-11 UFA
Michael Ryder — $4 million ($4 cap) — Last year 2010-11 UFA
David Krejci — $ 3.75 million ($3.75 cap) — Last year 2012-13 RFA
Marco Sturm — $3.5 million ($3.5 cap) — Last year 2010-11 UFA
Milan Lucic — $4 million ($4 cap) — Last year 2012-13 RFA
Blake Wheeler — RFA
Daniel Paille — RFA
Mark Recchi — UFA
Steve Begin — UFA
Vladimir Sobotoka — RFA
Shawn Thornton — UFA
Miroslav Satan — UFA
Brad Marchand — $.600 million ($.302 cap) — Last year 2011-12 RFA
Trent Whitfield — $.550 ($.202 cap) — Last year 2010-11 UFA
Zach Hamill — $.787 million ($.008 cap) — Last year 2010-11 RFA
Zdeno Chara — $7.5 million ($7.5 cap) — Last year 2010-11 UFA
Dennis Wideman — $4 million ($3.875 cap) — Last year 2011-12 UFA
Matt Hunwick — $1.55 million ($1.45 cap) — Last year 2010-11 RFA
Andrew Ference — $2.25 million ($1.4 cap) — Last year 2012-13 UFA
Mark Stuart — RFA
Johnny Boychuk — UFA
Dennis Seidenberg — UFA
Adam McQuaid — RFA
Andrew Bodnarchuk — RFA
Jeffrey Penner — $.688 million ($.031 cap) — Last year 2011-12 RFA
Tim Thomas — $6 million ($5 cap) — Last year 2012-13 UFA
Tuuka Rask — $1 million ($3.2 cap) — Last year 2011-12 RFA
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Do the Bruins Need to Make Major Change on Defense Before 2014-15?
- Should the Bruins Re-Sign Shawn Thornton?
- Bruins Prospects Look to Preserve Their AHL Playoff Run
- Complete Guide to Bruins' 2014 Offseason
- Final Report Card for Bruins' 2013-14 Season
- Game 6 Keys for Bruins, Canadiens
- Takeaways from Canadiens vs. Bruins Game 5