|Tyler Seguin still working to ‘figure this league out’||12.18.10 at 1:22 pm ET|
Tyler Seguin knows that he’s been able to produce in the face of adversity. He’s done it since he’s been on the radar of hockey fans, but it might be a bit different at this level. That’s why he doesn’t want himself — or anyone else — to assume he’ll embark on a career-defining hot streak after being a healthy scratch earlier this week. Observe the following exchange.
WEEI.com: Obviously in juniors after that coaching change, and then when you didn’t make the World Juniors team last year, these things have seemed to spark a —
Seguin: Don’t. Don’t jinx it. Don’t keep going.
[A bit of background information: Seguin, who was taken ninth overall by the Plymouth Whalers in the OHL draft in 2008, wasn’t producing like a top-10 pick out of the gate. He had just one goal in his first 17 games, and after coach Greg Stefan left to take a scouting gig with the Carolina Hurricanes, Seguin finished the season with 21 goals despite his slow start. This came after Mike Vellucci, who took over as coach, sat the then-16-year-old down and told him he expected him to produce regardless of age.
Last season, Seguin, the ninth-ranked prospect in the NHL draft, didn’t make the World Junior Championship team and used it as motivation as he went on to lead the OHL with 48 goals and take over as the top-ranked prospect.]
Fast forward to mid-December.
Whether he liked it or not, Seguin was forced to take in Wednesday’s game against the Sabres from the press box, observing the pace of a game he’s still learning at a professional level. He sat alongside Doug Jarvis as the Bruins fell to the Sabres, 3-2.
“I got to sit up top and look at it from a different perspective, and that’s how the coach and GM wanted me to spend the game,” Seguin, seemingly understanding of the decision, said.
The 18-year-old followed the scratch with an encouraging showing in Montreal, making a nice play to get the puck to Andrew Ference to set up Marc Savard‘s first goal of the season. Seguin has just three points in his last 10 games, so he’ll look to build on whatever forward steps he can take after being kept out of the lineup.
“I always try to turn a negative into a positive,” Seguin said. “All it is is adversity. You’ll face it a million times in your hockey career, so it was just another experience of it. I wanted to come out with a strong game in Montreal, and I think I did that. I just want to stay consistent.”
As the second overall pick still gets his bearings and finds different ways to adjust to the NHL, top pick Taylor Hall has seemed to hit his stride, scoring 10 goals thus far. Still, Seguin knows that how a player performs in the early going of his rookie year does not exactly set the pace for one’s career production.
One of the players to whom he most often compared in Steven Stamkos (flip a coin on the frequency of comparisons of Seguin to Stamkos or Steve Yzerman) was also a healthy scratch at times as a rookie. Seguin, who has five goals thus far, kiddingly noted that Stamkos had four before Christmas prior to lighting it up with 20 goals after the holiday. In fact, Stamkos — the same guy who has 24 goals this season — only had three before Dec. 25. Regardless of the solace he may take in knowing he isn’t the first to deal with such adjustment to the NHL, Seguin isn’t trying to follow anyone’s path or try to be somebody he’s not.
“I just want to be Tyler right now,” Seguin said. “I want to find my own identity and figure this league out.”
|Tyler Seguin told he won’t return to Plymouth Whalers, will stay with Bruins||10.28.10 at 10:26 pm ET|
“He’s here to stay,” Julien said of the second overall pick of the draft and former OHL MVP, relaying a message from Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli.
Seguin scored his second goal of the season in the second period of Thursday’s 2-0 victory over the Maple Leafs, beating Toronto netminder Jonas Gustavsson with a wrister from the circle. It was his first goal at TD Garden, and he now has four points on the season.
The Bruins gave Seguin the news after he spoke with reporters on Thursday, but his comments on the subject before finding out his fate were the same as they have been all along — that he wasn’t taking anything for granted.
“I think I came out here and I think I worked my hardest, and in the end, that is all I can really ask of myself,” Seguin said. “I think I’ve been improving with that kind of situation.”
Last season with the Whalers, his second OHL season, Seguin scored 48 goals and added 58 assists for 106 points. He was chosen with a pick acquired from the Leafs in the Phil Kessel deal, which also netted the B’s Toronto’s second-round pick in 2010 and a first-rounder in 2011.
|B’s officially ink Seguin to three-year deal||08.03.10 at 5:42 pm ET|
The Bruins officially announced the signing of rookie forward Tyler Seguin, the second overall pick in this year’s NHL draft, to a three-year, entry-level contract Tuesday. The terms of the deal were not immediately disclosed in accordance with team policy, but it is believed that the deal is similar to the one first-overall pick Taylor Hall received from Edmonton, which calls for a base salary of around $900,000 with performance escalators that could make the deal worth as much as $3.75 million yearly.
‘He’s obviously a high pick, and he performed well in our development camp,’ Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in a conference call. ‘We thought it was time to sign him to give him piece of mind and make him feel part of the organization.’
The Bruins hope that Seguin’s debut season can help erase the memory of last year’s dismal finish and create some excitement again on Causeway Street. The 18-year-old’s line of 48 goals and 58 assists in the Ontario Hockey League along with his YouTube-worthy highlights already have many B’s fans buzzing about his arrival. His performance in his first time in black and gold at Bruins prospect development camp in July only added to the excitement.
‘If I’m a fan and I see a young player like this that is an exciting, young player and people saw him at development camp, I’d be excited about seeing him play,’ Chiarelli said.
Seguin did most of his damage in the OHL as a center, but Chiarelli did not commit to saying that he will hold a similar position should he make the squad out of training camp. With veterans Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Marc Savard and the newly acquired Greg Campbell already on the roster, there doesn’t appear to be any room for the young forward at that position this season. He will most likely make his debut at one of the eight winger spots, but Chiarelli was willing to keep the options open.
‘You never know. I’ve had discussions with Claude [Julien] about mixing and matching and shifting some positions around so I can’t tell you with complete certainty where he’ll play,’ Chiarelli said.
With Seguin’s signing now official, that gives the B’s a total of 14 forwards on the roster including Marco Sturm, who will open the season on the long-term disabled list after suffering a major knee injury in the playoffs. That’s two more than they’ll need come opening day, but their options are still open according to Chiarelli.
‘It’s a roster that I’m very happy with now,’ Chiarelli said. ‘There are some spots for young players to earn spots. You’re never done with your roster. I can’t say we’re definitively done with it. There are always things that crop up. We just saw a Stanley Cup-winning goalie become available on the free market so things happen. Things crop up so it’s never done until the opening-day roster’s filed.’
|Hall Signs||07.05.10 at 3:48 pm ET|
The top overall pick in the NHL draft, Taylor Hall, has officially signed with the Edmonton Oilers, and the contract comes with very few surprises as Bruins fans anticipate what their team may be paying Tyler Seguin.
Hall’s three year deal finds ways around the $900,000 maximum salary for an entry level deal, as has become a trend in recent years. CapGeek.com (which every hockey fan should check about 12 times a day in the offseason) has the deal including $2.85 million in performance bonuses, which swells that dinky $900,000 into a cap hit of $3.75 million. The cap hit puts Hall’s deal right on par with the pact John Tavares signed a year ago with the Islanders.
There might not be much of a dropoff in what the second pick commands in comparison to the top choice, as Hall and Seguin co-headlined the draft class with 106 points apiece in the OHL and Seguin being the top-ranked player according to NHL Central Scouting.
|Seguin on Dale & Holley: ‘No idea’ where I would be drafted||06.29.10 at 6:06 pm ET|
Tyler Seguin, the recent No. 2 overall draft pick by the Boston Bruins, joined Dale & Holley on Tuesday afternoon to talk about his relationship with Taylor Hall, how he’s improved his game, and what position he prefers to play.
‘My improvement level has always been really good,’ Seguin said. ‘I just think it’s the little things, the sacrifices off the ice, the commitment that you need to go to the next level. I’ve had my family and supporting cast to teach me along the way and I think I’ve just been maturing as a player and a person off the ice and I really just want to stay as consistent here as I can throughout.’
Seguin also spoke about his idol growing up and comparisons in his game to Steve Yzerman.
Below is the transcript of the interview. Visit the Dale & Holley audio on demand page to hear the interview.
Did you know on draft night that you were going to be the No. 2 pick?
No, I had absolutely no idea. It was definitely a very exciting day for my family and I, and we kind of took it all in. It was phenomenal being there in Los Angeles and the hospitality they gave us. I had no idea where I was going but I was very excited when it was announced.
What’s your relationship like with Taylor Hall?
Well I met him a couple times just through the events at the draft here. Whether it was the top prospect game or the world junior camp, stuff like that. At the end of the year, we kind of got together to go to Philadelphia for Game 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs and I guess we bonded a bit more. At the draft we had a lot of events together as well. In the end, we were rivals and I guess we had more of a healthy competition on the ice. That’s as far as it’s gone, and now that it’s all said and done, I doubt we’re going to keep contact. Read the rest of this entry »
|Chiarelli: Oilers wanted Bruins pick||06.25.10 at 11:40 pm ET|
LOS ANGELES — With the first round of the NHL draft completed Friday Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli indicated that the Edmonton Oilers were interested in obtaining the Bruins second pick in the draft, but not in working a potential swap that would have provided the B’s the Oilers top pick.
According to Chiarelli, Edmonton GM Steve Tambellini hoped to obtain the Bruins pick as a stand alone proposition.
‘Talks were more centered around (the Oilers) trying to get the number two pick from us,’ said Chiarelli. ‘He told me early on he was going to try and get it and he didn’t give up.’
For his part, Chiarelli is happy with the Bruins being able to draft Seguin.
‘He’s a terrific player, he’s got a terrific skill set,’ said Chiarelli. ‘He’s still growing. His improvement was tremendous over one year to the next. Very smart, terrific hockey sense.”
Chiarelli has also wasted little time suggesting Seguin will play in the NHL next season.
‘I expect he will make the team,’ he said. ‘But you never know. You remember some of the parallels in the past sort of his age and body type, a guy like (Steve) Stampkos took a while to get used to it, took him a while to get his confidence and strength. I would anticipate that line of improvement as he comes into the league.’
Rounds 2-7 of the draft continue Saturday.
There were a lot of things about the first round of Friday night’s NHL draft that seemed a little funny. Both league-wide and specifically to the Bruins, the first 30 picks were laced with irony and confusion. Some blatant examples: Two perceived top defenseman fell out of the top 10. The team that needed centers took winger Taylor Hall, which led to the team with too many centers taking Tyler Seguin.
A few storylines stand out with the Bruins’ new center, one of which is that he was the top-ranked player in the draft by NHL Central Scouting, yet went second. Just as fascinating, however, is the team he went to, and with which pick.
Every young hockey player’s dream is to play in the NHL, and with his selection Friday night Seguin will undoubtedly realize his lifelong goal. However, the path to Boston, a city he spoke about with excitement Friday night, ultimately went through the team he grew up admiring as a child.
Born in Brampton, Ontario, Seguin was close enough to Toronto to be a Maple Leafs fan. In addition to being an Original Six rival of the Black and Gold, the Maple Leafs were a trade partner in the move that would eventually bring Seguin to Boston. The Bruins acquired three picks from the Leafs last offseason in the Phil Kessel deal, including the first-rounder that became the pick used on the Plymouth Whalers center.
“Growing up I was the local guy,” Seguin said. “I liked watching the Leafs because they were the local team. Now that it happened, I think it’s meant to be. I think things worked out throughout my life and anyone’s lives. It’s just where we were supposed to fall, and Boston was the team that was supposed to pick me.”
What makes it so interesting is the story the pick could have been if it stayed in Toronto. The hometown kid who grew up cheering on the Leafs goes to the historic franchise to give them a shot of both youth and scoring. Instead, he’s gone to the rival, a Bruins team that has seemed to be knocking at the door for two seasons now.
So does the team that will also see their second-rounder Saturday and first-round pick next year made by the Bruins regret the deal?
“We made this trade,” Leafs GM Brian Burke said at the draft. “We took our chance on how our team would finish. We talked about the possibility that it could be a lottery pick. … We said, ‘Well what if it is Taylor Hall? What if it is Tyler Seguin?’ and we said ‘We’re going to make that trade anyway.’ We got the player we wanted and I hope Boston got the player they wanted.”