|Report: Kaberle grants Leafs permission to only talk with Bruins||02.15.11 at 5:14 pm ET|
According to Sportsnet.ca, Maple Leafs defenseman Tomas Kaberle would be willing to accept a trade to the Bruins. In fact, Sportsnet is reporting that the defenseman, who has a no trade clause in his contract, has granted the Maple Leafs permission to discuss a deal with only Boston.
Additionally, The Fourth Period’s David Pagnotta has tweeted the talks between the two teams do not involve the Bruins sending the Maple Leafs’ first-round pick, acquired in the Phil Kessel trade, back to Toronto.
Kaberle will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli told WEEI.com last month that the Bruins were interested in adding a defenseman who could log substantial minutes. Kaberle, who has three goals and 33 assists for 36 points, has averaged 22:34 of ice time this season.
The Maple Leafs traded forward Kris Versteeg to the Flyers on Monday night, with Toronto general manager Brian Burke saying “we’re not done yet.”
|UPDATE: Burke says Leafs not in on Savard||06.28.10 at 4:17 pm ET|
“The rumor – what I read anyway – is that Boston is looking to move this player,” Burke told Fan 590 radio in Toronto. “We have some options presented to us over the weekend, trade wise, that do not involve this player (Savard) that we are looking at.”
Savard has been rumored to be on the block as of late. His contract includes a no-trade clause, but rumors have continued to swirl, including a report that he had waived the no-trade clause for a potential move to Toronto.
“Suffice it to say, the media are focused on one name,” Burke said. “And we are looking at multiple names – not including Marc Savard.”
UPDATE: 5:54 — ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has tweeted that a source in the Leafs organization has told him the team has not “ever” spoken to the Bruins about Savard.
|Report: Kessel and top pick offered for Toronto defenseman, seventh pick||06.26.09 at 9:51 am ET|
MONTREAL — According to a report by Bob McKenzie of TSN.ca, B’s GM Peter Chiarelli and their front office cohorts have made their first move of the weekend and offered restricted free agent winger Phil Kessel and their first round pick to Toronto for four-time All-Star defenseman Tomas Kaberle and the seventh pick in the 2009 draft.
According to the report, Leafs GM Brian Burke is “canvassing the league to see if there are any better offers out there”. Kessel scored a team-high 36 goals and 60 overall points in a breakout year for the Bruins, but hasn’t been able to come to an agreement with Boston on a contract for next season and beyond.
Kessel is rumored to have been on the trade market for weeks, and Kessel’s agent, Wade Arnott, didn’t deny any of the Kessel trade rumors in a phone conversation with WEEI.com earlier this week.
Kaberle is a 31-year-old skill defenseman with a palatable cap hit of $4.25 million per season for the next two years, and is widely-considered a puck mover and power play contributor. Kaberle was limited to 57 games with injuries last year, and is certainly not at an all-time high value-wise. Kaberle missed significant time last season with a broken right hand. The 10-year veteran has a no-trade clause in his contract, but there is a window in the clause that permits a trade of Kaberle between the NHL entry draft and Aug.15, a clause activated when the Leafs failed once again to make the playoffs.
For more updates on the Bruins and their weekend activity at the NHL draft, check in with the Big Bad Blog for updates.
UPDATE: TSN is now amending their report and stating that the Bruins offered Phil Kessel and a future draft pick for Kaberle. Doubtful the Bruins would do this without also getting Toronto’s 2009 first round pick at the No. 7 spot back in return. B’s GM Peter Chiarelli gave a warm, welcoming “no comment” about the rumors when met with the assorted hockey media this morning, and intimated that he first learned of them when he got on his computer this morning. We’ll have more later.