|Lucic-Krejci-Horton line surfaces||09.24.10 at 12:45 pm ET|
The Bruins split up into two groups that featured members of both of this preseason’s squads. Tim Thomas and Tuukka Rask both took the ice, which is encouraging as we keep an eye on just how many days off Thomas gets as he recovers from offseason hip surgery.
Though it’s still preseason and the team likely isn’t done trying things out, the top two lines on the ice friday were Lucic-Krejci-Horton and Seguin-Bergeron-Recchi. It’s very difficult to imagine those not being the top two lines on Oct. 9 when the team opens the season in Prague against the Coyotes.
The other lines out there on Friday morning consisted of Gregory Campbell, Jamie Arniel and Brian McGrattan, as well as Jordan Caron, Ryan Spooner, and Max Sauve.
|Thursday night’s lines||09.23.10 at 5:13 pm ET|
According to Kevin Wozniak of Let’s go Amerks, the lines for Thursday night’s preseason game between the Bruins and Panthers are as follows (notice a couple of old friends in the Florida lineup):
Milan Lucic – David Krejci – Brad Marchand
Jared Knight – Zach Hamill – Shawn Thornton
Jeff LoVecchio – Joe Colborne – Michael Ryder
Lane MacDermid – Jamie Arniel – Kirk MacDonald
Zdeno Chara – Nathan McIver
Mark Stuart – Steve Kampfer
Jeff Penner – Andrew Ference
David Booth – Stephen Weiss – Michael Frolik
Christopher Higgins – Steven Reinprecht – Cory Stillman
Kenndal McArdle – Marty Reasoner – Byron Bitz
Andrew Peters – Adrian Foster – Bill Thomas
Bryan Allen – Erik Gudbranson
Bryan McCabe – Dimtry Kulikov
Keaton Ellerby – Dennis Wideman
Also, the Bruins won’t have 97th overall pick Craig Cunningham playing in their system this season. Currently at 48 of 50 allowed contracts and over the cap, the Bruins elected not to sign Cunningham, who will return to captain the Vancouver Giants of the WHL. The team has until June 1, 2011 to get a deal done before they lose the 20-year-old’s forward’s rights.
|Chiarelli makes exception, shoots down Savard report||09.21.10 at 10:12 pm ET|
Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli issued the following statement Tuesday regarding center Marc Savard:
“As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome. He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate.
“Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc’s status, I will issue an update.”
Earlier Tuesday, a source told ESPNBoston that Savard could miss the upcoming season with post-concussion syndrome. Savard has been held out of training camp thus far due to PCS symptoms, and according to the report, a source within the organization said that Savard’s case is “not a good situation.”
After the team’s “State of the Bruins” town hall meeting, Chiarelli spoke about why he felt it was necessary to send out clarification on the subject, a rare practice in a town where rumors fly at a rapid rate.
“It’s not normally my practice to respond to stories like that unless I feel like it’s completely contradictory to what I said, which is the case here,” Chiarelli said. “We issued that statement saying that everything is the same as it was when we started the camp with Marc, and when there’s a change, I’ll be the one to update you and there has been no change. The notion that he’s going to miss the whole year and [that] it’s this complex issue frankly is far from the truth.
“The symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome, that’s not diminishing that condition, but he’s in good spirits. He’s been seen by our doctors, he’ll continue to be seen by our doctors and he’ll be back shortly.”
Savard suffered the concussion on a March 7 hit from Penguins forward Matt Cooke. The play kept him out for the remainder of the regular season, though he did return for the Eastern Conference finals against the Flyers
|Julien: Thomas will practice, travel||at 3:51 pm ET|
With Tim Thomas a notable absence from Tuesday’s practices, it is only natural to wonder just how much his workload will be cutdown as far as the short-term future goes. Thomas is recovering from offseason hip surgery, and after making appearances at captain’s practice earlier this month was held out of Monday’s intrasquad scrimmage.
Claude Julien, who has said that the team is taking precaution with Thomas in the preseason, said Tuesday that keeping the 2008-09 Vezina winner out of practice was simply “part of the process of giving him a little bit of rest in between those hard workouts.”
Julien noted that Thomas is expected to practice Wednesday and travel with the team for its preseason matchups with the Canadiens and Panthers. He did indicate, however that Saturday’s game against the Panthers at the TD Garden might be the soonest that Thomas, 36, sees preseason game action.
Regarding Wednesday and Thursday’s games, Julien said that the team’s intention is to go with a separate squad for each game, with no players participating in both matchups.
|Blake Wheeler loves him some CCM skates||at 3:20 pm ET|
There’s been a lot of hockey equipment talk coming from the Bruins over the last few days. The Joe Colborne neck guard post was supposed to be the lone tune of its genre played at this dance, but Blake Wheeler spoke at length Tuesday about switching up his skate of choice as he enters the 2010-11 season. After feeling that his second season in Boston featured more trouble turning and getting out of stops than usual, he’s sporting a new pair of CCMs this training camp.
“I had worn CCM skates my entire life,” Wheeler said Tuesday. “I gave Bauers a shot last year, and I don’t know, they didn’t really work out as well as I would have liked. It’s a great product, a great skate, and for me, I guess the best fit was [CCM].
“I feel different,” he added. “I feel a lot better out there and just a lot quicker and a lot more like myself. I’m able to make a little bit more one-on-one moves, be a little more effective.”
Wheeler said that he didn’t consider a change back to CCM during his sophomore season, nothing that “nothing felt wrong” for the most part during games, but that he did feel hindered in “crucial spots” when needing a burst in attempt to chase a puck or create a turnover.
“It was very frustrating for me,” Wheeler said. “I couldn’t really pinpoint it and once I threw these on this summer, I felt it right away. It was good to get that behind me.”
Though he’s glad to be back with CCM, Wheeler didn’t knock the Bauer product, likening the preference to one’s choice of shoe.
“It’s like anything else,” he said. “Some guys like Nike shoes, some like Adidas. It is what it is.”
|Tim Thomas missing from Tuesday’s practice||at 1:26 pm ET|
One day after the Bruins held goaltender Tim Thomas out of the team’s black/white scrimmage, the 2008-09 Vezina winner was once again missing when Group A took the ice for Tuesday’s practice.
Thomas is recovering from hip surgery and participated in some of the team’s captain’s practices earlier in the month in an effort to hopefully be at 100 percent by the time the Bruins begin their season next month in Prague. Even so, the team sees no use in rushing the 36-year-old back.
“Something that we’ve said right from the get-go, [is that] we’d monitor [him],” Bruins coach Claude Julien said Monday. “He’s had that surgery and we have to take our time to bring him [back].”
Julien added monday that though Thomas “is actually ahead of schedule” if anything, the team’s plan is to “bring him along slowly.”
|Lucic has new goal: 20 of them||at 12:39 pm ET|
Milan Lucic is entering the first year of a three-year deal with an annual cap hit of $4.008 million. Though just 22 years of age, the physical forward will play the 2010-11 season as the fourth-highest paid member of the Bruins, behind only Zdeno Chara, Tim Thomas, and Patrice Bergeron. As he trains with teammates for what he hopes is a more healthy campaign than his 50-game 2009-10, he hopes to make himself worth every dime of his contract. In particular, he hopes to find the back of the net more.
In three NHL seasons, Lucic’s career high in goals came in the 2008-09 season, one in which he added 25 assists in his 77 games for a career-best 42 points.
“I feel like have the ability to help contribute to this team a little bit more,” Lucic said Tuesday. “I still in my three years haven’t been able to hit the 20-goal mark. I feel like that’s a realistic goal for me this year and that’s a personal goal that I should be able to meet.
“In saying that, I shouldn’t just be thinking that way. If I start thinking ‘goal, goal, goal, goals’ and just getting points, that’s when my play starts to suffer. I think if I’m just moving my feet and playing physical, everything else tends to fall into place. I think going into my fourth year, what I really want to do is try to be the best player on the ice on a more consistent level. I think that’s the challenge for myself and that’s what I’m going to be looking forward to doing this year.”
Lucic added that he hopes to spend more time on the power play. With much being made of the Tyler Seguin-Mark Recchi connection as far as learning the trick of the trade as a young player, Lucic freely admitted that when it comes to making a difference with a man advantage, he’s still taking notes from the veteran.
“There’s a lot to learn from Mark Recchi, who does such a great job in front of the net with tips and just establishing body presence. For a little guy like him, he’s able to establish really good body presence in front of the net. I’ve learned a lot from him and I’m still learning,” Lucic said. “Hopefully I can translate that into this year.”
- Fresh Links: High Gear Edition
- VIDEO: Extended Highlights of Rangers/Bruins Game 2
- Dear NBC: Time To Acknowledge The AHL
- Monday Morning Skate: LUUUUUUUUUNDQVIIIIIIIIIIST
- QUICK RECAP: Bruins win, set new club record for goals scored on Henrik...
- Chara owns, and is a fantastic captain
- Fresh Links: The Kids Are Alright Edition