|Bruins assign Dougie Hamilton to OHL, Jordan Caron among players headed to AHL||09.14.12 at 5:36 pm ET|
The Bruins announced Friday that they have sent 23 players to Providence, a list that is led by winger Jordan Caron. In addition to announcing the players assigned to Providence, the team also assigned defenseman Dougie Hamilton and goalie Malcolm Subban to their OHL teams.
While the transfer agreement between the NHL and CHL has expired, Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said last week that he believes teams would be able to have junior-eligible players start a locked out season in junior and then come to the NHL when a new collective bargaining agreement is in place. The team intends to do that with Hamilton, who had 72 points in 50 regular-season games last season.
With the Bruins’ rookie camp cancelled and the NHL picture unclear, Hamilton joined up with his former-turned-current team this month, IceDogs coach Marty Williamson told WEEI.com Friday.
“He’s been practicing with us for the last two weeks almost,” Williamson said following the announcement. “He’s been here practicing but hasn’t played any exhibition games. Now that they’ve made the announcement, he’ll start Thursday with us and play his first game.”
The following players were sent to Providence: Matt Bartkowski, Ryan Button, Carter Camper, Jordan Caron, Colby Cohen, Tommy Cross, Craig Cunningham, Justin Florek, Michael Hutchinson, Jared Knight, Torey Krug, Kevan Miller, Adam Morrison, Tyler Randell, Max Sauve, Ryan Spooner, Niklas Svedberg, Zach Trotman and David Warsofsky. Veterans Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif and Trent Whitfield will also report to Providence after clearing waivers.
One notable absence from that list is forward Tyler Seguin. The 20-year-old has played in 175 NHL games (including playoffs) and is thus not exempt from the waiver process in order to send him to the AHL. However, it is Seguin’s understanding that there is a scenario in which he could play in the AHL this season.
|Tyler Seguin: ‘My understanding is I could go to [AHL]’||at 2:18 pm ET|
Seguin is a veteran of 175 NHL games (including playoffs) and would seemingly have to go through waivers, but the third-year winger said (vaguely) that he thinks he can play in the AHL.
“My understanding is I could go to Providence,” he said. “I haven’t decided anything and we haven’t talked about anything. I haven’t talked to management since [signing] the contract, so nothing’s going in forward motion with that stuff. I’m just trying to wait it out and hopefully something happens here with the CBA.”
A source told WEEI.com that Seguin could not get to the AHL without clearing waivers because of how many games he’s played, though the possibility exists (as pointed out by Mike Loftus of the Patriot Ledger on Twitter) that waivers could be avoided if a situation arises in which Seguin could simply sign an AHL contract.
The rule regarding waivers states that players who signed their entry-level deals at age 18 (as Seguin did) would be exempt from waivers if they played less than 160 NHL games. Seguin, at the aforementioned 175 games, does not qualify.
Earlier in the week, Seguin said that he was considering either the AHL or potentially looking at Europe, something he reiterated Friday.
“You’ve got to be cautious and have some options,” he said. “Obviously I have mine, but for right now you want to play NHL hockey first. That’s what I’m hoping for.”
According to the Boston Globe’s Kevin Paul Dupont, Jordan Caron will play for Providence if there’s a lockout. Given that he has played 73 games at the NHL, he will be exempt from waivers. The B’s placed Garnet Exelby, Christian Hanson, Jamie Tardif, and Trent Whitfield on waivers this week in order to have them play in the AHL.
WILMINGTON — Two-hundred-eighty-three players left this week’s NHLPA meetings in New York without any promising news about the start of the season, but they came away from the meetings a heck of a lot smarter.
It isn’t exactly easy to understand the nuts and bolts of the league’s labor dispute as the owners and NHLPA try to negotiate a new collective bargaining agreement, so players who entered the meetings as confused as the next guy at least left them a bit educated.
“I was taking notes,” Tyler Seguin said on Friday. “Obviously there’s a lot of stuff I’m not going to understand. We do the meetings and obviously I’m not going to get into much detail, but then we split up into our teams and talk about it amongst ourselves and our questions. It was good. I learned a lot. Going into that, I don’t think I knew too much about HRR [hockey-related revenue] or anything like that and all the percentages and statistics, but I know a lot more about it now.”
Dennis Seidenberg said that while the meetings were beneficial given the unity the players showed and the things they learned, he doesn’t see any more reason for optimism now than he did before.
“The feeling is it hasn’t really changed much,” the defenseman said. “We were hoping that going to New York, we’d get some news in a positive way, but the main thing we did was get educated on what’s going on and what our proposal looks like and how we’re going forward from here. Other than that, not much has changed.”
Said Gregory Campbell: “I think it’s important to go to those meetings and definitely get the knowledge on what’s going on. As players, it’s really important to be informed. It’s one thing to hear it on the phone or hear it from somebody else, but to actually go there and really be informed — this is our livelihood, so we really have to make sure that we’re all on the same page.”
The owners are set to lock the players out at midnight on Saturday. A vote led by Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs yielded unanimous agreement for the move on Thursday.
“Going to New York was probably a good idea at this point in time, just because with this date looming, I guess it seems like the inevitable that there will be a lockout,” Campbell said. “We all have to be in the right frame of mind if and when this happens.”
|Tyler Seguin: Contract negotiations have ‘definitely picked up quite heavily’||09.10.12 at 12:54 pm ET|
BOLTON — Speaking before the Bruins’ annual golf tournament at The International, Bruins right wing Tyler Seguin said that he hopes to sign a new contract before the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement (Saturday), and that he’s comfortable with where things stand in negotiations.
“There’s been discussions,” Seguin said. “It’s looking good, and I’m looking forward to hopefully playing in Boston for many years.”
The 20-year-old Seguin is set to enter the final year of his entry-level contract, and fellow 2010 draft stars Taylor Hall (seven years at $6 million per) and Jeff Skinner (six years, $5.75 million per) have already signed their next contracts.
Seguin, who led the Bruins with 29 goals last season, said that the sides started talking after the season and that negotiations have “definitely picked up quite heavily since then.” He added that negotiations have been “all positive” thus far and that there is enough interest on both sides to get a deal done.
“I want to stay here and start a life here,” Seguin said. “That’s what I’m looking for.”
It is unclear where Seguin would be able to play if the season were to be delayed by a lockout. With agents working the phones to make sure their clients have places to play this season, Seguin said he doesn’t know where he’ll play.
“I’m not sure,” he said. “I’m headed to New York for two days to see what’s going on and then talk to my agent a bit more. Obviously I want to be playing hockey, NHL first, and then I’ve thought about AHL, thought about going overseas, but nothing I can confirm on right now.”
Seguin said that his left hand is at 100 percent after getting offseason surgery to repair a tendon. He’s been on the ice and is back in Boston after training with esteemed strength coach Matt Nichol in Toronto.
|What will Tyler Seguin get in his next contract?||09.07.12 at 6:23 pm ET|
While the Bruins may not be playing any time soon, Peter Chiarelli made a strong play Friday by signing Brad Marchand to a four-year, $18 million a year before he was set to become a restricted free agent. While Marchand’s signing crosses a name off a list of important players set to become RFAs (Tuukka Rask, Tyler Seguin and Milan Lucic), the most interesting case remains that of Seguin.
Chiarelli doesn’t like to see players get to free agency, and in Marchand’s case he made sure he locked up a player set to become a restricted free agent before he could step onto the ice in the final year of his deal. Last season, Chiarelli locked up a player set to become a restricted free agent when he gave David Krejci a three-year, $15.75 million contract during the season. He admitted that to be his style Friday, but he wouldn’t comment on whether he intends to sign Seguin before the season starts.
All Chiarelli said Friday was that he has “had some discussions” with the other Bruins that are near the end of their deals. While we don’t know when or for how much Seguin will sign, here’s what we do know: At 20 years old, he led the Bruins with 29 goals and 67 points and he has yet to reach his prime.
Furthermore, three signings have set the bar for what he may command. Taylor Hall, the player picked one spot ahead of Seguin in the 2010 draft, signed this summer for seven years at $6 million per. Fellow Oiler Jordan Eberle got the same cap hit for six years, while Hurricanes winger Jeff Skinner (the seventh overall pick in 2010) signed a six-year deal that will carry a $5.75 million cap hit. All three players, like Seguin, are entering the final seasons of their entry-level deals.
Here are the stats of all four players from last season, with the exception of Skinner, whose rookie (his best year) stats are shown:
Eberle: 78 GP, 34 G, 34 A, 76 P, 17:36 AVG. TOI
Hall: 61 GP, 27 G, 26 A, 53 P, 18:13 AVG. TOI
Skinner [2010-11]: 82 GP, 31 G, 32 , 63 P, 16:44 AVG. TOI
Seguin: 81 GP, 29 G, 38 A, 67 P, 16:56 AVG. TOI
Chiarelli admitted Friday that the sides do take into consideration the comparables, and in Seguin’s case it would appear the comparables are there.
“Again, I’m not going to go into details of negotiations,” he said. “You look at comparable players, you look at where your team salary structure is, and you look at the market. You don’t look strictly at one of those things – you try and look at all of them. So we try and do that in all our negotiations, and we will continue to do that. Sometimes you’re faced with different dynamics, and you have to make decisions at certain junctures of the negotiation, but generally speaking the comparables are important, comparable peer groups, and where he fits into the team salary structure.”
If Seguin were to get the lowest cap hit of the trio — Skinner’s $5.75 million — he would become the Bruins’ highest-paid forward, ahead of the likes of Krejci ($5.25 million) and Patrice Bergeron ($5 million). Seguin brings something that neither of those two players bring with his elite scoring touch, but he plays less than the other two (Bergeron and Krejci averaged 18:35 and 18:25 per game last season, respectively), and unlike the Oilers stars and Skinner, is playing on a recent Stanley Cup champion team that is crowded with capable veterans.
For example, the Bruins have five forwards (including Marc Savard) who are set to command cap hits of $4 million or more next season. The Oilers have two, while the Hurricanes are three. The Bruins also have the highest payroll in the NHL right now, so money may be tight when it comes time to get all of their players — including a guy like Rask who could be due for a raise from the $3.5 million he’s set to earn — signed before the 2013-14 season.
Because the whole Phil Kessel thing didn’t work out, it’s yet to be seen just how much the Bruins are willing to shell out for elite scorers. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for Seguin and the Bruins.
|What the NHL CBA situation means for junior-eligible players||08.20.12 at 2:22 pm ET|
Here’s a minor detail that should get some more attention if the league and NHLPA don’t agree on a new CBA by Sept. 15: What happens to the younger players with junior eligibility?
The current agreement between the NHL and CHL states that players under the age of 20 that don’t make the NHL after the first nine games of the season have to be returned to their junior clubs (in the OHL, QMJHL and WHL) for the rest of the season. Those players are not eligible to play in the AHL.
Because the 2004-05 season was cancelled entirely and the following season started on time, there was no precedent set during the last lockout for NHL-ready players starting the season with their junior clubs and then going to the NHL when the season started. There isn’t a rule in place to cover such a scenario, so an amendment to the NHL and CHL’s transfer agreement — which recently expired, making this all the more confusing — would be required.
Per a league source, teams are still waiting to be advised on which players will be allowed to play in the AHL should there be a lockout. The source assumed that the potential amendment of CHL/NHL eligibility would also be discussed at that time.
In the 2004-05 season, all NHL players (meaning players who had played in the NHL, not NHL-ready prospects) under the age of 22 were allowed to play in the AHL. Patrice Bergeron — who had played the previous season in Boston — was among them, and in this case a player like Tyler Seguin would be allowed to play in the AHL since he is 20 years old.
The question for the Bruins, as touched upon in Sunday’s column, is what would happen with 19-year-old Dougie Hamilton. He’s expected to make the Bruins out of training camp this season, but if he starts the season in the OHL with the Niagara IceDogs, the NHL and CHL would need to amend the transfer agreement to allow players in his situation to go to the NHL. It would be hard to imagine the CHL drawing a hard line and not allowing players to leave, as their relationship with the NHL has prevented them from losing young stars (such as a Hamilton last year) to the AHL during normal seasons.
|Tyler Seguin escapes injury scare during Lowell Spinners speed-dating promotion||08.16.12 at 12:19 pm ET|
Tyler Seguin barely survived his speed dating promotion at Wednesday night’s Lowell Spinner’s game, as a foul ball nearly hit the Bruins star in the back of the head during one of his “dates.”
Fortunately for Seguin, he was saved by Spinners vice president Dan Beaulieu, who used his cell-phone to protect the young winger. The phone was completely destroyed. Check out the video below, which shows the ball coming for Seguin and Beaulieu raising his phone to block the ball.