Big Bad Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network
Posts related to ‘Tyler Seguin’
Claude Julien: ‘There was no issue’ with Tyler Seguin 07.11.13 at 1:15 pm ET
By   |  26 Comments

WILMINGTON — Bruins coach Claude Julien met with the media Thursday at Ristuccia Arena, discussing the trade of Tyler Seguin to the Stars and his relationship with the 2010 No. 2 overall pick.

Seguin had apparent maturity issues in his time with the Bruins, so much so that Peter Chiarelli called out his lack of professionalism prior to last week’s trade. Julien largely took the high road Wednesday, though he didn’t exactly deny that Seguin had strides to make. The coach said that Seguin took his job “as serious as any 21-year-old would.”

“Everybody as a 21-year-old doesn’t always have the maturity to be a professional, whether it’s in the gym, here or there,” Julien said. “You work with all those young guys the same way. Do different players have different challenges? Absolutely.”

From the day Seguin came to the Bruins, there were questions of whether Julien’s system was a good for him given that he was more of a scorer with elite skill than a two-way, defensively responsible player. Despite the fact that the two sides weren’t a perfect fit, Julien said that he had a good relationship with Seguin.

“There was no issue between Tyler and I, and I’m not afraid to say it,” Julien said. “You guys can ask him at some point. There were no issues there. I worked with him as a hockey player, I dealt with him as a person. With everything else, there were never any issues that I know about, anyway. I thought we had a good relationship.”

For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.

Read More: Claude Julien, Tyler Seguin,
Tyler Seguin faces character questions in Stars introduction 07.09.13 at 5:37 pm ET
By   |  12 Comments

While Loui Eriksson spoke to the Boston media for the first time Monday and fielded questions about how his two-way game fits with the defensive-minded Bruins, Tyler Seguin‘s introduction to the Stars was met with questions about image issues and his forced retirement from social media.

Seguin was all smiles as he donned his new No. 91 uniform (No. 9 is retired for Mike Modano and 19, which he wore in Boston, is retired for Bill Masterton), but his Q & A with the Dallas media was rather interesting. The first question especially was strange, as he was asked about embracing a fresh start in Dallas after all he’d been through in Boston, and he said this:

“For starters, obviously there were a lot of young guys on my last team. I was the only single guy, so i’m excited to meet some new faces, to have a new start. I’m very exited for the new experience.”

He then faced a slew of questions about a homophobic tweet sent out about Texas Saturday night, which led to Stars GM Jim Nill ordering him off Twitter. Seguin denied sending the tweet, adding, “I don’t believe it was one of my friends” that sent it.

“My twitter was, in fact, taken over along with a few other things with my name,” he said. “It definitely didn’t feel good that my name was out there saying negative things, but I definitely want to apologize to anyone that was hurt by what I said and I’m definitely happy to be moving on.”

Seguin said that two of his three homophobic tweets from his account occurred while his phone was in his pocket. He had previously admitted to one in which he used the term “no homo.”

Given everything that’s gone on, Seguin was asked if he felt that he was coming to Dallas with PR issues after the Bruins publicly expressed concern with his professionalism. He said that the “media needs to do their job and they have a tough one at it,” and that the needs to “move on from it” and “prove people wrong.”

The session ended with a question about moving to center. It was the only hockey question shown in the video of the press conference posted by the Stars.

Read More: Tyler Seguin,
Don Cherry on D&C: Tyler Seguin ‘one step away from being a superstar’ 07.08.13 at 10:55 am ET
By   |  22 Comments

Don Cherry

Hockey Night in Canada legend Don Cherry joined Dennis & Callahan on Monday morning to talk about the Bruins’ trade of Tyler Seguin to the Stars.

Cherry remains high on Seguin, despite the Bruins losing patience with him.

“Something must have happened there to get rid of a kid like that,” Cherry said after reviewing Seguin’s statistics. “I’m sure he’s going to go to Dallas, he’s going to play center, and look out — I’m telling you, this kid is one step away from being a superstar. You’ll see next year. But hey, he got in the bad book somehow.

“You have to watch. The Bruins have a real image of being tough — tough to play against. Nineteen Canadians on the club, and every one of them are rough guys. … So, they have to watch that they don’t lose that little grit. Because most teams are afraid to go in and play Boston.”

As for reports that Seguin was too immature off the ice, Cherry said he can understand how a 21-year-old would want to spend some time out on the town.

“Look, I don’t know what happened. But I’m just saying I know I’d go out, if I was 21 years old after a game I would go to a bar, too,” Cherry said, questioning why the off-ice issues became public.

Added Cherry: “If a guy can get me 30 goals on right wing, and he’s a natural center, and he’s a little problem off the ice, I wouldn’t mind that. I’d try to settle that out a little. … Listen, the Bruins were in the finals. They did pretty good, so [Peter] Chiarelli must be doing something right. But you’re asking me my opinion, I would have never given up on a [21]-year-old kid that got 30 goals the year before playing in his wrong position.”

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Don Cherry, Loui Eriksson, Patrice Bergeron, Peter Chiarelli
Tyler Seguin takes break from Twitter, Stars release statement on controversial tweet 07.07.13 at 3:32 pm ET
By   |  74 Comments

After sending out an insensitive tweet Saturday night, former Bruins forward Tyler Seguin tweeted Sunday that he is “shutting down” his account “for a while.”

Seguin, who was traded to the Stars Thursday, tweeted the following on Saturday:

The tweet was loosely quoting the movie “Full Metal Jacket,” but it was the second time he tweeted something homophobic in recent memory, as he said “no homo” in a tweet in which he said a song gave him goosebumps in April. He followed Saturday’s tweet by saying that his account was hacked and then decided to take a break from Twitter.

Of course, he did not actually shut down the account and it is still active, so he or his friends could still slip up for a third time. The Stars PR department will stay tuned.

The Stars released the following statement in wake of the tweet:

“In no way, shape or form does the Dallas Stars organization condone or agree with the message that was sent out through Tyler Seguin’s Twitter feed last night. We’ve addressed the issue directly with Tyler and we’ll continue to work on educating our players regarding the importance of their conduct on all forms of social media.”

Read More: Tyler Seguin,
Tyler Seguin’s mother calls out Bruins, media 07.05.13 at 2:49 pm ET
By   |  101 Comments

Tyler Seguin’s mother lashed out against the Boston media Friday, denying a Boston Herald report that the Bruins made Seguin stay in a hotel with a guard who made sure he didn’t leave during the playoffs.

“That’s not true,” Jackie Seguin told the Toronto Star. “I know that for a fact. The whole team lived in the hotel. That’s crap. Oh, my God. That’s stupid stuff. That’s very unfair to say that. He’s a professional. That makes me very angry.”

Seguin’s mother said that stories about Seguin’s nightlife have been emerging since the end of the season because B’s general manager Peter Chiarelli wanted to trade the popular young player without getting criticized by the fans.

“You know what is happening? Boston is now trying to justify why they’re getting rid of Tyler,” she said. “Obviously, they don’t want a fan backlash against Chiarelli,” she said. “Now they’re making up stories.”

Read More: Tyler Seguin,
Report: Bruins hired guard to keep eye on Tyler Seguin at 11:54 am ET
By   |  47 Comments

Much has been made of the Bruins’ concerns with Tyler Seguin‘s after-hours activities in his days with the B’s, and the Boston Herald had a pretty interesting tidbit Friday.

According to veteran beat writer Steve Harris, the Bruins ordered Seguin to live in a hotel during the postseason, where they had a hired guard to make sure the 21-year-old didn’t leave.

From Harris:

It apparently got so bad that during the playoffs, the Bruins ordered Seguin to live in a hotel, where a guard was hired to make sure he stayed in his room.

It is widely believed that Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli spoke to Seguin about his off-ice choices during the first round of the playoffs against the Maple Leafs. Chiarelli publicly criticized Seguin’s professionalism last weekend at the NHL draft before trading the young scorer to the Stars on Thursday.

Read More: Tyler Seguin,
Bruins trade doesn’t change Nathan Horton’s mind about leaving 07.04.13 at 4:55 pm ET
By   |  33 Comments

Following the trade of Tyler Seguin to the Stars, the agent for Nathan Horton indicated that the Bruins’ recently freed-up cap space does not change Horton’s mind about his decision to not re-sign with the Bruins.

Horton’s agent, Paul Krepelka, told WEEI.com that the trade of Seguin and Rich Peverley — which leaves the B’s with over $13 million in cap space if they put Marc Savard on long-term injury reserve — “doesn’t change anything,” and that Horton’s choice to leave Boston “was a personal decision based on what he feels is best for his family.”

With Seguin, Horton, Jaromir Jagr and and Peverley gone, Shawn Thornton is the only right wing from last year’s team still on the roster.

Horton met with the Blue Jackets on Wednesday and should draw interest from multiple teams on the free agent market.

For more on the Bruins, visit weei.com/bruins.

Read More: Nathan Horton, Tyler Seguin,
Bruins Box Score
Bruins Schedule
Bruins Headlines
NHL Headlines